Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #3041
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

It looks like a blast. This is something Canada has never seen before and will not ever have again. This exceeds the Blue Jays run A parade and celebration of this magnitude won't ever be repeated in any city in this country.
soulchoice is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #3042
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

At first I was wondering how the heck this would look if the Leafs won, but then you realize this demographic is so different. Demographically this is much more diverse in age, and all the cultures involved. With the Leafs it wouldn't be as fun, or as large. This in so many ways was fairly unexpected despite the high seeding in the east. Given the drought of professional teams in this city I don't think we'll see this again in our lifetime, even if the Leafs ever win. This just satisfied a big appetite and if the Leafs won in the next few years I'm not sure the city would care as much now that the city has won a major sport in modern day.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #3043
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
At first I was wondering how the heck this would look if the Leafs won, but then you realize this demographic is so different. Demographically this is much more diverse in age, and all the cultures involved. With the Leafs it wouldn't be as fun, or as large. This in so many ways was fairly unexpected despite the high seeding in the east. Given the drought of professional teams in this city I don't think we'll see this again in our lifetime, even if the Leafs ever win. This just satisfied a big appetite and if the Leafs won in the next few years I'm not sure the city would care as much now that the city has won a major sport in modern day.
Exactly as you stated. This crowd is very diverse. Plus in reality, the Raptors were literally Canada’s team. Never before has any team had a following, bandwagon or not who was cheering for them. When the Jays won, the expos were still around. From the east to west a majority of fans became raptors followers.

I’m definitely not a patriotic nor civic pride kind of person. But many of the nation are. However, The raptors have been my team since the Jordan Bulls were no longer. I’m just as happy about them winning as if the Flames won the cup. But this is a huge achievement for a Canadian basketball team. Escpcially being the NBA is one of only three leagues that actually matter for the most part when it comes to championships in Canada. NBA. MLB NHL.
soulchoice is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #3044
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trudeau finding a way to slither some extra politician baby hugging in this moment. To use a Jack Armstrong reference, get that gaabage outta here!
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #3045
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

in the GTA today celebrating my grandmother's 100th birthday- seeing all of this is a pretty amazing reminder of how much Canada/Toronto has changed in 100 years! Just talked to a family that was at the parade start in the front row- they showed me their pictures- so cool. beautiful day for it too
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #3046
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
I’m definitely not a patriotic nor civic pride kind of person. But many of the nation are. However, The raptors have been my team since the Jordan Bulls were no longer. I’m just as happy about them winning as if the Flames won the cup. But this is a huge achievement for a Canadian basketball team. Escpcially being the NBA is one of only three leagues that actually matter for the most part when it comes to championships in Canada. NBA. MLB NHL.
The biggest thing for the Raptors is how they were able to win, in a league where most of the players would do anything they can to not play up north. Even at the very beginning when BJ Armstrong refused to play for the Raptors, with anti-expansion team expansion draft rules, the deck was heavily stacked against them. The Vancouver Grizzlies could not survive, and it took 25 years of grueling disappointment and rejection to finally get it done.

This is way bigger than the Blue Jays winning.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:55 PM   #3047
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh snap. Emergency situation. What's happening?
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #3048
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Uh oh
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #3049
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Shooting according to Twitter
Nsd1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #3050
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1140709828450508800

https://twitter.com/TPSOperations/st...09828450508800

Last edited by shadowlord; 06-17-2019 at 02:12 PM.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #3051
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lol, all the politicians on the stage. Ford, Trudeau, the whole lot.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 06-17-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #3052
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody else put together all the clues. The five year thing by Lowry, him wearing his board man gets paid, and five haha's. He is signing for 5, book it .
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:29 PM   #3053
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Double post.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #3054
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1140716091129442305
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #3055
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:34 PM   #3056
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
The biggest thing for the Raptors is how they were able to win, in a league where most of the players would do anything they can to not play up north. Even at the very beginning when BJ Armstrong refused to play for the Raptors, with anti-expansion team expansion draft rules, the deck was heavily stacked against them. The Vancouver Grizzlies could not survive, and it took 25 years of grueling disappointment and rejection to finally get it done.

Also, baseball sucks.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #3057
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I agree that the Leafs would not be as big a deal, but primarily because a lot of hockey fans in Toronto are not even fans of the Maple Leafs. There are a lot of Habs fans and all the original six teams have a solid following.

Back when the Leafs were bad(fairly recently in fact)people filled up the arena to root for the other teams. They have never really had home support up to the standard of the other teams.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 06-17-2019 at 02:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #3058
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post

For people who dog on Vince Carter, he saved the Rapyirs franchise. They could have been the Grizzlies.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #3059
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Sidenote: I like Tim and Sid but that girl is annoying. Why not just go with the two of them?
Each network had sports and non-sports people working together.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #3060
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The congestion is unreal with the subway having to bypass stations due to the parade.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...id=mailsignout

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote