Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2019, 01:55 PM   #81
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I don’t see what the big drawback would be to have penalties called on replays. If something happens and the refs miss it, but it is clearly noticeable on camera, it should be a penalty. Vice versa as well. Why the resistance to use technology?

Granted, there will be more penalties called, but eventually players will learn that they can’t get away with crap, especially behind the play.
I think goal interference replays have exposed what a mess NHL officiating actually is. It's mostly just random.

I think the only benefit of video replays would be that it would make the situation so untenable that you would have to blow up the reffing completely.

We could clearly see that there is no line between what's a penalty and what isn't.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #82
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

An apt question is, does the NHL think officiating needs fixing? Obviously until they do, nothing will happen.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #83
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Call the rule book, removing “game management”, and players will respond and correct their habits.
Game management hasn't been a part of the curriculum at the amateur level for 15 years. I'd be very surprised if it's a thing at the pro level.

Best option is Eye is the sky.

Next best would be NCAA football style review for major penalties/headshots.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:16 PM   #84
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
If "game management" is trained out of officiating, it might not be fixed, but it would be a lot better than what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Game management hasn't been a part of the curriculum at the amateur level for 15 years. I'd be very surprised if it's a thing at the pro level.

Best option is Eye is the sky.

Next best would be NCAA football style review for major penalties/headshots.

It's an NHL thing. They programmed the refs to manage the game.

At a micro level they want close games.

At a macro level they want parity and close playoff races.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:54 PM   #85
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually interested in hearing what you think game management means.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #86
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would take a statistical comparison of the team's records when so-and-so are officiating the game, then reallocate assignments based on apparent impartiality to certain teams. Not much, but it's a start.

Certain refs just seem to have it out for a handful of select teams, I feel.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #87
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I would take a statistical comparison of the team's records when so-and-so are officiating the game, then reallocate assignments based on apparent impartiality to certain teams. Not much, but it's a start.

Certain refs just seem to have it out for a handful of select teams, I feel.
Yeah, I appreciated Kelly Fraser's candid discussion of the NHL after he retired, but it was so frustrating when he admitted that refs just have their teams that they hate for one reason or another.

Especially knowing the Flames were probably one of his.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #88
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

I've spouted off before on this subject. Consistent application of the rules is the ideal. A action that draws a penalty call against a rookie in the 1st period of a game in October, should STILL be called against a HOF quality veteran in a 2nd OT in the SCF. The idea of "game management" and "make up" calls is abhorrent. And the ridiculousness of the philosophy that "a ref shouldn't make calls that may decide a game" is flawed, because, at some point, a ref NOT CALLING obvious penalties can also decide a game! (Reference the blatant trip in the recent SCF game.) Also, the refs pocketing their whistles punishes "skill" teams and rewards "heavy" teams.

Now, I am not saying that honestly missed calls don't occur. but, I a sickened when a team with a lead is allowed nearly everything except manslaughter, on the ice, because a referee is too gutless to make a late penalty call.

I forget which 20 year linesmen, who recently retired, said this, but, when asked "why didn't you ever become a referee?", his response was telling, "it is because I see the game too much in black and white." Meaning, that he enforced the letter of the rules too much for the NHL brass' liking. IMO, the NHL leadership is wrong, and teams would HAVE to adjust play to avoid the penalty box quickly, if all rules were applied throughout the contest, as soon as the practice became clear.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #89
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Many have talked about it here. You've got a team discombobulated and pinned in their own zone after a penalty expires and the ref will not call a penalty because he just called one. That's wrong.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #90
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
An apt question is, does the NHL think officiating needs fixing? Obviously until they do, nothing will happen.
The teams want it this way that’s why it’s never been changed. They only complain when something ####ty happens to them. Then after the season they still don’t want it changed.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #91
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

The NHL needs to get its act together. Playoffs are exciting but the refs take the fun out of it allowing dirty hockey’s ugly head to run rampant. The way the refs act in the playoffs is a joke! They need eye in the sky calls to clean the league up.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #92
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Q View Post
In-game management aside, the biggest issue in NHL refereeing today is fandom. Refs call the game at speed, while your typical viewing anthropoid gets multiple camera angles, all at slower speed, all played over and over again, and STILL manages to get the call wrong due to fan bias.
Yes, which is why it's insane that we don't have an off-ice official with the same tools as the fans.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #93
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You guys are nuts. This reffing has got me on the edge of my seat!

It's a game within a, no, a soap opera within a game. Except we have no idea what we're gonna get. It's so unpredictable I love it!

I've started tuning in just to see what the refs will do. The drama that unfolds when they screw it up, the silence when they get it right, and the grey areas in between. It's added some very layered and complex entertainment value to an otherwise black and white game.

And when they screw it up as much as they have been it's created so much drama that I just can't turn away. I'd kick myself if I missed the next obvious screw up. It's just so much fun to talk about!
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #94
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
You guys are nuts. This reffing has got me on the edge of my seat!

It's a game within a, no, a soap opera within a game. Except we have no idea what we're gonna get. It's so unpredictable I love it!

I've started tuning in just to see what the refs will do. The drama that unfolds when they screw it up, the silence when they get it right, and the grey areas in between. It's added some very layered and complex entertainment value to an otherwise black and white game.

And when they screw it up as much as they have been it's created so much drama that I just can't turn away. I'd kick myself if I missed the next obvious screw up. It's just so much fun to talk about!
Needs more affairs, divorce, murder, returning from the dead, and incredible anti-aging.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 07:14 AM   #95
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Put a ref in a control room that can correct calls.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #96
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Needs more affairs, divorce, murder, returning from the dead, and incredible anti-aging.

You forgot evil twins. Those are always the best storylines. The NHL missed an opportunity when the Sedins were playing.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #97
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
You forgot evil twins. Those are always the best storylines. The NHL missed an opportunity when the Sedins were playing.
At the very least they should have done a commercial with the Sedins as the twins from The Shining.

Follow the Zamboni driver, he comes around the corner. The Sedins are standing there. “Come play with us”

DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #98
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man that was such a good film in its day.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #99
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post

I would be a lot more interested in watching hockey if it included the following:

-Machete fights
-Wizards
-Star players turning heel and switching teams between periods
-Dogs that can play hockey, because the rules don’t say nothin’ about no dogs
-Gary Bettman opening the season by challenging a randomly selected team’s president to a Feats of Strength cage match
-Note: the competition ends only when Bettman is successfully smashed over the back with a folding chair. Also should feature evil twins, surprise tag-teams, and hypnotism/mind control subplots

I will add to this list later but it’s a start.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #100
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is the current state of officiating worse than it has been historically? I’d say no.

Like a Brodie turn-over leading to a goal, it’s super annoying, but part of the game.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote