Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
That's heart bad no?
No
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #22
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Until an announcement is made, it's best not to speculate about King's health.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:00 AM   #23
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My phone buzzed at a bad time and I missed the context around something Tre said. I caught “we haven’t done a great job of developing our goalies”. Anyone catch what that was about?

Edit: also, fistpump for the tallboy beers!
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #24
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futzee View Post
I saw a thing about the Leafs charging resellers an extra 30% for their tickets. I think that makes a ton of sense. The team might as well take a bigger cut of those.
Makes sense for the Leafs but the resale and season ticket market for the Flames is too weak for them to alienate their current ticket holders. Plus Ticketmaster already rapes everyone with fees.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 11:20 AM   #25
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
My phone buzzed at a bad time and I missed the context around something Tre said. I caught “we haven’t done a great job of developing our goalies”. Anyone catch what that was about?

Edit: also, fistpump for the tallboy beers!
Someone asked why the Flames goaltending prospects were struggling last season and Treliving responded that while the Flames haven't done a very good job with goalie development, they have developed Rittich, even though he wasn't drafted by the team.

He went on to say the development is not always a smooth progression, there are ups and downs. He mentioned Gillies had a really bad start to the season and Parsons fought through injuries and mental illness. He also mentioned McDonald, Schneider and the Russian goalie and that having more "lottery tickets" (goalie prospects) the better the chance that one or two of them will emerge as NHL goaltenders.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #26
Rubber Ducky
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Wonder if they use Gillies as part of a package to land Rittich's partner? He's on a 1 way next season which makes things a touch more difficult I assume.

Maybe they move him to Chicago for Anton Forsberg's rights (who was also making close to $700k) and he becomes our Binnington?
Funny that you mention Jordan Binnington. Brad said last night, while talking about goalies, that there's a goalie playing in the SC Finals right now that he took a call about last year. The call was about placing a goalie on one of the Flames farm teams (can't remember if it was AHL or ECHL). It was a neat story that just goes to show that you just never know about goalies and how the develop.
Rubber Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rubber Ducky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #27
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
"Neal didn't pan out" sounds a lot different than "Neal hasn't panned out"

Obviously I'm reading into that but that makes it seem like he's done with the Flames.
I did not get that impression. Of course I assume Treliving would trade him in a heartbeat if they could without taking a bad contract back, but that is unlikely. The only way he would be off the roster next season is if they buy him out or take a Lucic type contract back in return. I don't see either happening.

I would be surprised if Neal isn't in the line-up next season. If he has another poor season then I can definitely see a buy out.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #28
SilverGS
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just a few points from what I recall that hasn't been said already

- Based on discussions that have occurred already Treliving is very confident a deal will be done with Tkachuk
- Treliving wants to add edge and compete type players but ones that make sense and have skill. Gone are the days where you have a tough guy only. You need a tough guy with skill these days.
- Had lunch with Ken Holland at the combine. Holland mentioned to him Datsyuk had 1 goal in his first 23 playoff games. There is a learning curve to playoffs and they are working with them on what they need to do (I assume this means Gaudreau and Monahan)
- Yelesin - 6ft physical nasty SOB to play against. Right hand shot. Expects him to compete for a spot
- Zagidulin - Found by same guys who found Rittich. 6'2 goalie who has good numbers but needs to get stronger. Not expected to take a NHL spot at this time.
- Mentioned the league has been working with puck tracking technology to help give definitive proof whether the puck is in the net or not. Said parts of this tech might be revealed this upcoming season.
- Asked about officiating. Basically said it is what it is and no point to whine about it since in his experience it will get you nowhere. Believes there will be "enhancements" to video review process to help get more calls right like the glove pass in the SJ series. Doesn't know what they will be as they obviously don't want to lengthen the games a ton by allowing reviews of too many things.
- Neal - Obviously had a down year. Was very consistent previously. Has played more significant hockey than most players the last number of years and maybe needs a reset. Working with him is all they can do at this point and hope he rebounds. Said no one is harder on Neal than himself.

At that point I had to go back to work so missed the last few questions and answers.

King did pause a couple times and clearly looked a bit uncomfortable. Did mention what he had is quite a serious thing.
SilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #29
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Paraphrasing from memory. Probably screwed up a couple things. Much covered already by InglewoodFan, ken0042, Fire, Rubber Ducky, SilverGS.

Ken King
- Didn't speak for long and was fighting a cold it seemed.
- Has been fighting the rumoured health scare for some time now. Flames will officially announce the news at some point.
- Last summer he transitioned from President and CEO to Vice-Chairman and CEO. Might be one of his last season ticket holder appearances with Mr. Bean now President.
- Travelling to Edmonton every second week for a "science experiment" related to his illness.
- Jokes and quotes Dumb and Dumber ("you're saying there's a chance?") as how his conversations with doctor go.
- Fighting something that a family member of many in attendance will have likely gone through.
- Working hard with three Council members on arena, but no news. Can't lean either way (go or no go) at this time, but holding hope. After years of talking about it at these sessions, hopes the last time he talks to season ticket holders is to break the new arena news.

John Bean
- Flames heard loud and clear atmosphere sucked. Changed music and didn't play Cotton Eye Joe this season as an example (to Mr. King's delight).
- Installed more metal detectors and measured average entry wait time and saw an improvement.
- Awesome feedback on Hockey Happy Hour - huge success.
- Likewise with Test Kitchen and Craft Beer/wine.
- A gentleman in a wheel chair described how he used to be able to attend every game, however in efforts to improve the atmosphere the Flames removed 12 accessible seats to accommodate the Fire Drum setup with about 20 games left and this fan wasn't able to attend all the games down the stretch and/or in the playoffs. Both Mr. Bean and Rollie Cyr seemed genuinely upset on the unintended impact that had and committed to fixing it for next season.
- Question on why the Flames don't hold a draft party anymore. As Mr. Bean is starting to answer, Brad Treliving interrupts with "because I trade all the good picks away."
- Good question about the Vegas ticket situation from ken0042 as described already.
- 97% renewal rate.

Treliving
- Disappointed with how the season ended, like everyone else. Described the season as running the 100-yard dash in a gymnasium that you don't know is only 80 yards long.
- Asked whether he thinks the core is fragile, specifically with the playoffs. Long answer, starting with an anecdote about having lunch with Ken Holland and discussing the playoffs, with Mr. Holland telling Mr. Treliving about having a player 20 years ago who was criticized for disappearing in the playoffs and only being able to perform in the regular season. Mr. Holland could have caved to the criticism and moved the player but is thankful he held onto Pavel Datsyuk. Treliving also mentions the playoffs is a small sample of an entire season, but that the game does change in the playoffs. Mentions that being a higher paid player comes with higher expectations in the playoffs and the Flames need to work with those players both on and off the ice to ensure success occurs in both seasons.
- The Flames' goal is to get both faster and grittier this off-seaosn.
- Mr. Treliving's definition of fast isn't skating. It's skating plus decision making plus moving the puck. Need players who can do all three.
- Mr. Treliving's definition of grit isn't hitting and fighting. It's playing the gmae the right way even when things aren't going your way or the game changes (playoffs). Being able to battle through adversity. Showing the will the win no matter the score. Showing you care and stepping up. Need players who will do anything to win and who don't quit when behind.
- On officiating: everything evens out so no sense complaining about it. The league maintains the standard doesn't change in the playoffs however everyone watching knows it does. That said, the game ramps up in speed, intensity, and emotion in the playoffs which does make their job more difficult. Says imagine how hard umpiring baseball would be if suddenly all pitchers started throwing 15 mph faster as soon as the playoffs start.
- Question on whether coasting into the playoffs/late-year scratches hurt the Flames. Mr. Treliving responded that there were no "healthy" scratches in that all scratched players were dealing with a nagging issue. And it's a tough question because while entering the playoffs hot is desirable, you will never say no to clinching early as opposed to missing entirely. Can't time it intentionally.
- Asked about his thoughts on individual players' playoff performances. The good: Smith, Bennett. The bad: Everyone else.
- Asked about coaching staff: This time last year Bill Peters was an unpopular hire but thinks the results speak for themselves. Also credit Geoff Ward for the powerplay (late-season cold spell dropped them from 7th to 17th), and Ryan Huska for his work with the defencemen: Impressive having a roster with Andersson at 22, Hanifin at 21 for half/22 for half, Kylington at 21, Valimaki at 20.
- The Flames plan to re-sign Rittich, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Bennett. "One" will have a significantly higher price tag than the others.
- Question about Mike Smith's performance and whether he'll be back. Mr. Treliving doesn't like throwing stones at his own guys, but states Mike Smith would be the first person to tell you he sucked in the first half of the year. Was great in 2019 and the playoffs. As for bringing him back, Smith expressed interest in returning but likely won't be able to make a goaltending decision until the RFAs, specifically Tkachuk, are done in order to know what the financial situation is looking like. Looking to have a starter play 55 or fewer games, so fairly shared workload.
- On James Neal: Same thing with stones at own players, and James Neal would be the first to tell you it wasn't a good season.
- On the three former Hurricanes: Was really happy with Derek Ryan's production and versatility. Acquired Elias Lindholm as a defensive prescence for Monahan and Gaudreau and thought his defensive play was overlooked with how good his offensive numbers turned out to be - and admitted they didn't think he would be that good offensively. Also happy with Hanifin and again reminds everyone he's younger than Andersson.
- Interviewed about 80-something prospects at the combine for about 20 minutes each. Took two out for dinner in addition to the interview. At 26, their net is much wider than picking high.
- The Flames have done a terrible job developing goalies and that needs to change. All current prospects have their own issues. Credited Parsons with going public as that took a lot of courage. Flames will try to acquire as many goalie lottery tickets as possible to increase the probability one hits. So hard to forecast goalies and says for example the Blues tried to loan Jordan Binnington to the Flames last season and now he's starting in the Stanley Cup Finals.
- Regular season can't be forgotten. 50 wins and 107 points can't be forgotten despite finish to the playoffs. Not looking to helicopter in 20 new players and completely overhaul the team. That said, his reputation in his five years so far is that he's aggressive and that isn't going to change.
- Fan criticized Treliving for not trying to acquire high-end offensive talent. Treliving mentions Neal as an attempt that didn't work, but also mentions they put a feeler out on Tavares but were told Calgary wasn't in consideration - which is his right.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #30
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I saw a thing about the Leafs charging resellers an extra 30% for their tickets. I think that makes a ton of sense. The team might as well take a bigger cut of those.
Actually, it makes no sense at all, the current 10% is fine. No one can make it to 50 or so games if you include playoffs.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 06-04-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:05 PM   #31
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks to you guys posting summaries from the meeting. It’s really some of the best insight we will get in the year. Cheers!
Old 06-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #32
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, in the evening session Treliving also mentioned they are going to try to bring Tuulola over.

Other notable thing is he mentioned the club was very vocal about how stupid the travel schedule was at times (three trips to the east coast in one month). Sounds like the schedule is almost done and it sounds like it will be more sensible.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #33
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not a STH, but was Cotton eyed joe that annoying?

I liked it every time they played it
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 11:05 PM   #34
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

A light-hearted moment was Treliving gushing about how well Cale Makar played and what a player he is going to be, when Rollie Cyr pointed out that Cale’s father, Gary, is a huge Flames fan and longtime season ticket holder and was at the session and pointed him out sitting in the crowd. Said he has a house full of Flames memorabilia and was the most conflicted person in the respective arenas during the first round.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 11:20 PM   #35
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, in the evening session Treliving also mentioned they are going to try to bring Tuulola over.

Other notable thing is he mentioned the club was very vocal about how stupid the travel schedule was at times (three trips to the east coast in one month). Sounds like the schedule is almost done and it sounds like it will be more sensible.

Calgary went to China and the Oilers went to Germany, so the NHL attempted to balance things out by having everybody do one ugly, ugly roadie over the season.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #36
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Calgary went to China and the Oilers went to Germany, so the NHL attempted to balance things out by having everybody do one ugly, ugly roadie over the season.
So because Calgary went to China they were also forced into one of the worst months of travel in NHL history?
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 08:17 AM   #37
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can we start some list/petition to make it clear to the Flames that we won't buy tickets if they do a new stadium and jack up prices (especially if taxpayers are involved in any way).

I like the dome, I like old school stadiums, I like affordable tickets. They big money is all in TV deals and selling ads and all that crap anyway isn't it? - Anyone know the actual figures of avg team revenue that is ticket sales vs everything else?

I also don't want one penny of my tax dollars to billionaires getting a fancy new stadium so they can charge us more for tickets. Gross.
New stadiums (and the increased revenue that goes with them) are required for teams to stay competitive with the larger markets.

Yes ticket prices will go up, but so with the demand. If the demand wasn't there, ticket prices could not increase.

Yes this prices many people out of attending, but that's the downside of supply and demand. Many people are already priced out.

You can't expect that the owners (or any business for that matter) will embark on a strategy which is designed to decrease revenue or keep it static.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #38
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

To piggyback off this thread, Treliving is on 960 this morning (has been for about an hour) and while there isn't a ton of new info coming out of the interview its still worth a listen when they put it up on the podcast later today.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #39
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
Said no one is harder on Neal than himself.
That's totally not the impression I get.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #40
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That's totally not the impression I get.
Could be interpreted multiple ways.

Some guys are hard on themselves and have crazy high standards. They use a pessimistic attitude about their own skills to push themselves to be better and to improve their weaknesses.

Some guys are hard on themselves in a 'poor me' way, finding external justifications for poor performance (New stick, new systems etc), focusing on trying to improve their strengths because focusing on their weaknesses is incompatible with external justifications for poor performance.

IMO Neal was in the second category last year. His "Give a ####" 'o Meter barely seemed to blink during the course of the season, and his lack of engagement against Colorado was a supreme factor in the Flames losing in the way that they did.

I'm sure he's a nice guy and i'm sure he cares, but obviously last season he didn't care enough to change his game to improve the team.

Textcritic suggested that Neal's contract isn't insurmountable because St.Louis and Boston have under performing older players on big tickets as well. I'll leave it to individual posters to determine whether guys like Steen and Backes have their give a #### o meter burning a fiery red glow or not.

Alex Steen is still a capable forward willing to play 13 minutes a night without complaint. James Neal is a significantly worse 3 zone player last seen arguing with the coaching staff for an increase on his 14 minutes per night.

One's a buyout candidate, the other an integral component of a Finals team.

Neal could be a part of a winning group in Calgary, but I just don't think he wants it bad enough to do it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote