Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #41
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Once Philly makes you that offer, it’s not going away July 1. I don’t understand the stress myself.

These trades don’t seem to happen in other sports. But the NHL isn’t known for being avant garde exactly.
You don’t understand the stress? I mean, of course the end result is millions of dollars to play hockey. Which on its own is awesome.

But, imagine what it’s like July 1 for free agents. For the nomads out there they probably don’t care. But there are potentially 31 different cities you will be living in in a few months, several teams reaching out to your agents, you have a table full of offers and have to decide where you are moving in an afternoon. Players have families, wives, kids.

Of course you want to get the deal done ahead of time if the situation presents itself.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #42
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
You don’t understand the stress? I mean, of course the end result is millions of dollars to play hockey. Which on its own is awesome.

But, imagine what it’s like July 1 for free agents. For the nomads out there they probably don’t care. But there are potentially 31 different cities you will be living in in a few months, several teams reaching out to your agents, you have a table full of offers and have to decide where you are moving in an afternoon. Players have families, wives, kids.

Of course you want to get the deal done ahead of time if the situation presents itself.
You have all the power. If you want to sign with Philly, sign with them. I don’t see how receiving offers is stressful.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #43
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any player on the flames can be had for the right price. For the Flyers to get Gaudreau and his cap friendly contract you are probably looking at: Patrick, 1st 2019, 1st 2020 and another young high end prospect at a minimum (I don’t follow the flyers so ?)
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #44
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Johnny is not going anywhere.

Probably not right now and JG has shown he likes playing here, but family, summer home, favourite team I imagine are enough of a pull. Add in a buddy on your fave team. Who knows. But it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if he doesn’t finish out his contract here.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:16 AM   #45
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Any player on the flames can be had for the right price. For the Flyers to get Gaudreau and his cap friendly contract you are probably looking at: Patrick, 1st 2019, 1st 2020 and another young high end prospect at a minimum (I don’t follow the flyers so ?)
If the Flyers offered Konecny, Patrick, and this year's 1st I would take it but I don't think they would and that is around what it would take for BT to consider it.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #46
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patrick's first two seasons look a lot like Sam Bennett's first two seasons. Not saying he's a bust but we already have a player like that.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #47
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Patrick's first two seasons look a lot like Sam Bennett's first two seasons. Not saying he's a bust but we already have a player like that.
Patrick's first two seasons look more like Scheifele. That is more than likely what Patrick becomes, not Sam Bennett.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #48
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Patrick's first two seasons look more like Scheifele. That is more than likely what Patrick becomes, not Sam Bennett.
I don't have a crystal ball so I guess we will go with what yours says and assume he's the next Scheifele.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #49
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That's a stretch to make that claim. Besides, Scheifele and Patrick have been handled completely differently development wise. Scheifele played two more seasons of junior after being drafted.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #50
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
That's a stretch to make that claim. Besides, Scheifele and Patrick have been handled completely differently development wise. Scheifele played two more seasons of junior after being drafted.
Scheifele and Patrick's games are much more similar than Bennett's. Time will tell but I am betting on a #1C. It doesn't matter, I don't think Philly will trade him anyhow.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #51
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Scheifele and Patrick's games are much more similar than Bennett's. Time will tell but I am betting on a #1C. It doesn't matter, I don't think Philly will trade him anyhow.
Just because they play the game similarly doesn't mean they will end up being equal players. Kylington plays a lot like Erik Karlsson- doesn't mean he's ever going to win a Norris.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #52
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

The conversation doesn't even start without Couturier being the first name on Philly's side...
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #53
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad the Jets wasted a first rounder on him, this is why you don’t give up firsts for rentals unless it’s for a truly elite player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #54
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
The conversation doesn't even start without Couturier being the first name on Philly's side...
I said it already but it would take couturier and Patrick for me to play ball. One great but not as good player and one mediocre player with tons of potential for a superstar.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #55
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Jets will likely get nothing for something from this deal, not something for nothing. Getting back only a 5th rounder for a player like Kevin Hayes is just pittance and when you factor in what the Jets had to give up to get him before it's like getting robbed blind.

Once again, Jets get fleeced. Philly took the candy from the baby.
you do know that the cost to acquire a rental at the trade deadline before playoffs is higher than right before a player enters UFA?

Do you understand the term rental? Lol the fact that they got a 5th rounder is actually great. It's better than them getting nothing and letting him walk for free to free agency. Philly could have waited until July 1st to talk to him for free haha
Old 06-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #56
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Duhatschek on 960 just now starting to lay the media ground work for Hayes in Philly could = Gaudreau in Philly (albeit down the road he says)
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #57
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Duhatschek on 960 just now starting to lay the media ground work for Hayes in Philly could = Gaudreau in Philly (albeit down the road he says)
This sucks but it's just the reality when your are a small market Canadian team and your best player happens to be from the US. I can't fault Gaudreau for wanting to eventually head closer to home and family. Many of us in the same position would probably want the same thing. Flames still own his rights for three more seasons so while nothing imminent is required it's probably something that the team will have to address as soon as next offseason as I don't feel the road the Blue Jackets took is the way to go as he's far too valuable an asset to lose for nothing.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #58
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the Flyers offered Konecny, Patrick, and this year's 1st I would take it but I don't think they would and that is around what it would take for BT to consider it.
I love Gaudreau...but Patrick, Konecny, and their 1st (11th overall) would be a tempting package for sure.

Tkachuk, Monahan, Lindholm, Bennett, Patrick, Konecny, Dube, Mangiapane, Jankowski...that's the ground work for a decent forward core all under 25.

Plus Hanifin, Andersson, Valimaki, Kylington as d-men under 23 as well.

And the 11th & 26th overall picks to add to that core.

Issue would be that all that was missing was a true top end gamebreaking forward...somebody like Gaudreau.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 11:59 PM   #59
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
This sucks but it's just the reality when your are a small market Canadian team and your best player happens to be from the US. I can't fault Gaudreau for wanting to eventually head closer to home and family. Many of us in the same position would probably want the same thing. Flames still own his rights for three more seasons so while nothing imminent is required it's probably something that the team will have to address as soon as next offseason as I don't feel the road the Blue Jackets took is the way to go as he's far too valuable an asset to lose for nothing.
I dunno how much the market size matters. Kesler wanted out of Vancouver, and it seems like Matthews will leave Toronto after this next contract too.
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:30 AM   #60
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by カナダ人です View Post
I dunno how much the market size matters. Kesler wanted out of Vancouver, and it seems like Matthews will leave Toronto after this next contract too.
True as it's more to do with people preferring to live in their home country that comes with the bonus of far less media/fan scrutiny.