Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-03-2019, 06:58 PM   #1
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:
Default Kevin Hayes to Philly for a 5th round pick

edit: Should add, in case anyone isn't aware, Hayes is a UFA on July 1st. Could possibly see more of these deals this month with other players like Panarin and Bobrovsky.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1135708964845490176

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 06-03-2019 at 07:06 PM.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good trade.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Good trade.
For whom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do not see any scenerio where he does not sign. Would have to believe with the new window that the GM had the chance to talk to his agent prior to this deal to work the framework for something. There is not really an advantage if not.

Guy will probably sign tommorow and the deal willl be most likely announced after the finals.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #5
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very low ask and history with the player and new coach of the Flyers. Predict the signing will be a 5 year deal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
For whom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Both teams i think.

It was always rumoured Hayes wanted to stay on the east coast because of his family.

Flames paid basically the same price for Wideman (shudder). I guess if you want the player, it's good to get business settled prior to the draft.

Jets get pick back for a player who won't play another game for them. I like picks.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:25 PM   #7
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

So a RW/C to philly who are pretty good on both? Giroux, Couturier, Patrick, Hartman, Bailey, Konecny.

More moves in Philly me thinks.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #8
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's good that Chevy got something, but I'm getting tired of his act as well as Maurice. Chevy needs to either get out of the way of the scouts, or make smart trades.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:37 PM   #9
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing the long game.

Get Hayes signed now.

Gaudreau in the years to come.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #10
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Playing the long game.

Get Hayes signed now.

Gaudreau in the years to come.
Oh yeah, whether you're joking or not I bet you a million bucks Philly has a serious plan to have cap for Gaudreau when this contract is up. They know they'll have a better chance than anyone in the league (maybe even Calgary included depending on things are going) to sign him and he's a superstar.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 07:49 PM   #11
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
oh yeah, whether you're joking or not i bet you a million bucks philly has a serious plan to have cap for gaudreau when this contract is up. They know they'll have a better chance than anyone in the league (maybe even calgary included depending on things are going) to sign him and he's a superstar.

100%
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #12
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Oh yeah, whether you're joking or not I bet you a million bucks Philly has a serious plan to have cap for Gaudreau when this contract is up. They know they'll have a better chance than anyone in the league (maybe even Calgary included depending on things are going) to sign him and he's a superstar.

Not really joking. Hayes is a good player and has ties to a player who could very well have dreams of playing for his “home” club. This is just a good move by the Flyers (assuming they can get the contract done).
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #13
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Both teams i think.

It was always rumoured Hayes wanted to stay on the east coast because of his family.

Flames paid basically the same price for Wideman (shudder). I guess if you want the player, it's good to get business settled prior to the draft.

Jets get pick back for a player who won't play another game for them. I like picks.
Its hardly a good trade for the Jets...1st and first round exit for a 5th

"better than nothing"

Nah, it would be better to stop giving 1st rounders out for soon to be UFA players that you have no chance of signing
Old 06-03-2019, 08:01 PM   #14
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
So a RW/C to philly who are pretty good on both? Giroux, Couturier, Patrick, Hartman, Bailey, Konecny.

More moves in Philly me thinks.
From TSN's Off-Season Watch:
Quote:
Open to Offers
Philadelphia Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher said at the NHL Combine last week that he plans to be aggressive this summer in improving the team's roster and added he hasn't ruled out trading the 11th overall pick to do so.
"If we can get a good player at the right stage of his career and with some term left on his contract, we’d certainly look at it,” Fletcher told Sam Carchidi of The Philadelphia Daily News.
Fletcher, who is entering his first off-season with the team, told NHL.com he will consider all options when it comes to revamping the roster.
"I think we're going to be very aggressive in the trade and free agent markets in the sense of looking into every possible situation that can help us," Fletcher explained. "The unfortunate part is the vast majority of things you look into don't work out...so we're going to be very aggressive in trying to fill the holes we feel we have. I don't know if I can say we'll be able to fill all of them."
When asked to specify on the team's areas of need, Fletcher said there's no shortage of spots to improve.
"We need help everywhere," he added. "We need help on defence, at centre and on the wing. And, obviously, we need another goaltender, at least, if not two. We have a lot of needs. We'll be able to plug some of those holes, whether we're plugging them with players on six-year deals or players on one-year deals as placeholders to buy more time to find the right fit. We'll certainly have our roster upgraded next year, and hopefully we can find three or four players at 26 years old that we can plug in there for the next 6 to 7 years. I don't know if that's likely.
"We may have to have some Plan B options. We are aggressively looking in the trade market now. At the right time, we'll certainly speak to every agent for a lot of free agents and see if there's a fit, see if there's players that want to come to Philly and if there's the right fit for our club. The good thing is we've got the assets and the [NHL salary] cap space, and sometime in the near future, we'll make some good things happen, and hopefully sooner rather than later."
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 08:49 PM   #15
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Philly is a strange team to look at right now.

The most movable asset might be Vorocek, but that is a 8.25M cap hit for five years, taking him to 34 years old.

Everyone else is a superstar, or a ELC or RFA.

They would likely enjoy trading Van Rymsdyk, but I'm not sure who would touch that. There defense is pretty set, with 3 of 4 of their biggest cap hits hitting UFA next year, with no reason to bring them back. Sandheim and Provorov look like the top pair of the very near future.

Could go big game hunting?
Old 06-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #16
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hextall did a good job of setting them up to succeed in the next couple of years. Fletcher will get the credit.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:14 PM   #17
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have the pieces to land Johnny and make it enticing enough for Tree to bite. Not saying trade him but it's always been a logical landing point if the trade Johnny scenario panned put.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #18
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flyers are definitely going to try and get Johnny at the draft or sooner and it’s really gonna cost them!
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 09:33 PM   #19
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Max value for Johnny right now - let's do a 2019 Lindros deal with them.
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #20
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think these trades are dumb and they don’t happen in other sports. Why any player would sign at this point in the season is beyond me.

Good for the Jets for getting something for nothing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote