Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 05-31-2019, 08:28 PM   #41
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Leafs were rumoured to offer their 2018 1st and James Van Riemsdyk for Hamonic back in June of 2017. Travis has done nothing to weaken his value.

Sure he has, his great contract has started to run out.

His value was based on a number of years at a good contract for a good d-man.

With 1 year left, his value is less for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 08:31 PM   #42
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yeah. Gio had a great year and deserves the Norris. I personally think we agree on that, but somehow you don’t think so. Not sure why, that’s bizarre.
Are you drunk?

Quote:
Second point, his partner was Brodie. D partners work as pairings. Brodie contributes to Gio’s overall success.
yes...and Brodie was removed from that pairing multiple times. Both for injury reasons AND because he was not playing very well. Everybody contributed to Gios success, guys up front way more than anyone on the blueline as far as offense goes though.

Quote:
Most people know that D play different with different partners. Even Brodie mentioned that when he played with Prout, he could activate more as Prout was staying at home. If you use your head, you can figure out that he is the stay at home guy more often when Gio activates.
Wait...Brodie was a "stay at home" guy now?

And "if I use my head"?

Classic.

Quote:
Why is it such a god damn controversy that Gio’s partner contributes to his success? I am a hundred percent certain that Gio would give Brodie credit where it is due.

Im sure Brodie, along with Anderson and all the forwards he played with this season were contributors to his success....never said any different. But he was the guy who played at the Norris level...no one else.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:41 PM   #43
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would, yeah. He makes Gio a Norris candidate.
That’s just, like, your opinion, man.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:42 PM   #44
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Are you drunk?

yes...and Brodie was removed from that pairing multiple times. Both for injury reasons AND because he was not playing very well. Everybody contributed to Gios success, guys up front way more than anyone on the blueline as far as offense goes though.

And "if I use my head"?

Classic.

Im sure Brodie, along with Anderson and all the forwards he played with this season were contributors to his success....never said any different. But he was the guy who played at the Norris level...no one else.
Deluxe isn't wrong. Giordano's best two seasons had Brodie on his right flank, I don't think that's a coincidence. Nobody Is here saying that Brodie is perfect, but they definitely do compliment each other, hard to argue that.

I think Brodie should be traded, but if anyone thinks Andersson is going to step in and not be exposed for his lack of foot speed over 82 games, they are setting themselves up for disappointment.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 08:44 PM   #45
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Are you drunk?

And "if I use my head"?

Classic.

Good god. Block capital AND?

AND Brodie was often played with Prout for other reasons at times, to spread out the NHL calibre D. Even the coach said so.

Look, here is a simple fact.

When Gio has been seriously in Norris consideration, it has been when the majority of his ice time is with Brodie. That is indisputable.

Your argument is that he could do it with anyone. But guess what? He hasn’t. It’s really that simple.

Three years Brodie his primary partner, three years in the Norris conversation.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 08:45 PM   #46
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
That’s just, like, your opinion, man.
Sure. And my opinion is supported by data.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:52 PM   #47
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hamonic was on the pairing that got absolutely owned in the playoffs. Maybe some people missed that somehow.
The whole team minus Smith got absolutely owned in the playoffs.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 09:11 PM   #48
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gio would credit his teammates for the opportunity to achieve at a high level

He was not a Norris candidate / favourite when he had to cover for the holes in Hamilton’s game

It has been noticed by many people here.

Gio paired with Brodie prior to being paired with Hamilton - top tier all around performance
With Hamilton - doesn’t crack 40 points
With Brodie again - 74 points and +39

Ignore it if you want, I don’t care. I have pointed out facts and have nothing further to say on the matter
Bill Peters in and Glen Gulutzan out had a bit to do with everyone’s production increases.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 09:28 PM   #49
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
The whole team minus Smith got absolutely owned in the playoffs.
Well, Smith did okay but also kind of got owned. He did let in 14 goals in the last 3 games, right?

From Bingo’s game takes:

Quote:
Game 5:
Individually, the top pairing and the modified second line were excellent tonight as Mark Giordano led the way with 73%, followed by Brodie, Backlund, Tkachuk and Lindholm from 65% to 59%. Juuso Valimaki, Andrew Mangiapane and Rasmus Andersson were also above the 50% mark. At the bottom of the pile was the second defense pairing again as Noah Hanifin and Travis Hamonic struggled to under 30% nights once again.

Game 4:
Individually, the Flames were led by Juuso Valimaki with 65%, followed closely by his partner Rasmus Andersson at 63%. The only other player above the break even mark was Matthew Tkachuk at 53%. On the negative side, Garnet Hathaway and Travis Hamonic were both under 30%.

Game 3:
Individually, Monahan and Gaudreau led the way with 59% and 56% respectively. Only two other players; Oscar Fantenberg and Elias Lindholm were above 50%, and four others (Mark Giordano, Matthew Tkachuk, Mikael Backlund and TJ Brodie) were at 50% even. Derek Ryan, Sam Bennett, Mark Jankowski and Noah Hanifin were all under 40%.
Noah Hanifin and Travis Hamonic were 0-5 in high danger splits.
Everybody can have one of those nights, but this playoffs, for Hamonic it was a regular occurrence.

Brodie had 2 goals in 5 games, not too shabby, and was only -1. Looks pretty good compared to his peers.

And guess what? He was on when Ryan coughed up the puck, then Andersson got it and handed it away for a back breaking goal. Took a minus that didn’t have to do with him there.

I know Brodie is for some reason a whipping boy here, but jeez. Not everybody got owned equally this playoffs.

Backlund had a rough body of work. Jankowski has some of the poorest games I have seen. Hamonic and Hanifin got buried, in several games. They really struggled.

The team stunk in the whole but don’t paint all players with the same brush.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:32 PM   #50
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Well, Smith did okay but also kind of got owned. He did let in 14 goals in the last 3 games, right?
He was by far the MVP for the team in the playoffs and it wasn't even close.

He was a little bit better than 'okay'. He was pretty fantastic.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:39 PM   #51
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
He was by far the MVP for the team in the playoffs and it wasn't even close.

He was a little bit better than 'okay'. He was pretty fantastic.
Ben Bishop saves 52 of 54. 2-1 OTL. That is pretty fantastic.

Smith saves 49 of 52 in the OTL. That was a really good game.
Smith saves 50 of 56. Lots of shots. Not a terribly unreasonable number of goals, given shot quality, but not Ben Bishop level ‘pretty fantastic’.

Smith frankly wasn’t that great in game 5. But the team didn’t help out much either.

14 goals in 3 games is tough to call pretty fantastic
Old 05-31-2019, 09:43 PM   #52
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

We agree on one thing. The team didn't help out much either. Quite the understatement.

He was great. The rest of the team was really bad.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:43 PM   #53
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

From Bingo’s game takes:

Everybody can have one of those nights, but this playoffs, for Hamonic it was a regular occurrence.

Brodie had 2 goals in 5 games, not too shabby, and was only -1. Looks pretty good compared to his peers.

And guess what? He was on when Ryan coughed up the puck, then Andersson got it and handed it away for a back breaking goal. Took a minus that didn’t have to do with him there.

I know Brodie is for some reason a whipping boy here, but jeez. Not everybody got owned equally this playoffs.

Backlund had a rough body of work. Jankowski has some of the poorest games I have seen. Hamonic and Hanifin got buried, in several games. They really struggled.

The team stunk in the whole but don’t paint all players with the same brush.
We’ve done the player by player evaluation already a month ago. The current issue is one of Brodie and/or Hamonic being considered in a trade. It appears you’re in a slim minority that think Brodie is a better player than Hamonic.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:44 PM   #54
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
When you make a comment like this, everything that comes after or before it is completely neglected and thrown out the window because of everything that happened in the playoffs, Smith being a complete and total beast is indisputable.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:50 PM   #55
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
We’ve done the player by player evaluation already a month ago. The current issue is one of Brodie and/or Hamonic being considered in a trade. It appears you’re in a slim minority that think Brodie is a better player than Hamonic.
Yes. Correct. In my opinion, Brodie is a better player than Hamonic.
There are many arguments that support it.

I don’t mind if other people hold a different opinion, even if it is 90 percent if people. I will take an opinion that not only hold but I can support with data and facts. Thanks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 09:51 PM   #56
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
When you make a comment like this, everything that comes after or before it is completely neglected and thrown out the window because of everything that happened in the playoffs, Smith being a complete and total beast is indisputable.
Meh. You can feel free to throw out any of my opinions that you like. He had some strong games. He was not great in game 5.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:53 PM   #57
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we all saw this coming. The Flames have young defenders pushing for a spot and losing both these guys for nothing next year would be an asset management disaster.

I believe Brodie and Hamonic have similar value and don’t envy Treliving trying to decide which one to move. It will probably come down to the particular needs of the trade partner.

What about trading both of them? It’s the best for asset management but would be quite risky moving both Andersson and Valimaki to the top 4.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:04 PM   #58
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure. And my opinion is supported by data.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 10:10 PM   #59
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Lol!!!
Old 05-31-2019, 10:10 PM   #60
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol what is going on? Brodie is as good as gone...if Hamonic is traded it's for a deal they can't refuse and they will both be gone.

Gio will try and pull through without Brodie