Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-21-2019, 06:32 AM   #141
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Every time I go to my bank (usually only if I need a draft or to modify a mortgage) they try to sell me one of two things:

A personal unsecured loan at a rate approximately double the rate they can see I have on my unused HELOC

A mutual fund that will structurally underperform due to institutional imperatives in management and high fees.

I think both would be equally hazardous to my financial health.
Lol, yeah well I’m not suggesting that people should go to the bank and it would be a good choice. I mean, I’m obviously biased in where I think people can get useful advice. But the truth is that for someone just starting out there are worse places than a bank. The important thing is to start saving, and while there are better or worse choice to begin this, saving somewhere is really the first step. Once you have a decent amount saved though, you can always move it elsewhere.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:02 AM   #142
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
The world is going to be a very different place in 30 years.
That's my line of thinking. In 25-30 years we're going to be hooped anyway. I have a LIRA and RRSP tucked away for retirement (and a DB where I'm currently at). I figure by the time I'll be looking at retiring we'll either be paying exorbitant amounts of tax to support basic income, "fight" climate change, or whatever the flavor of the day is then, and what I do now isn't going to make a bit of difference. Or we get hit with a worldwide health crisis and see a Spanish-flu style epidemic, and what I do now still doesn't make much of a difference.

Anyone who's 20-40 years away from retirement now, I absolutely do not see enjoying the same standard of retirement as today (retire at 55, buy an RV, snowbird 6 months a year, etc). So I'm very much of the mentality to travel, ski, bike, hike, whatever now while I enjoy it and can do it. While I won't go into debt to enjoy life now (outside of the usual mortgage/car payment), I'm not going to back-load my finances either.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:12 AM   #143
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny - 4 years ago my wife and I were DINKS renting a good condo for CHEAP.

Now we have 2 kids, and are in a large house that costs almost double what the condo did - still saving ~60% of our take home however, and on track to hit our stretch target in the next couple years.

Have enough now to not worry about work/paychecks, and by 40 will have enough to last us till we die - will still keep working however, as it will get BORING to have nothing to do with kids in school
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #144
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
That's my line of thinking. In 25-30 years we're going to be hooped anyway. I have a LIRA and RRSP tucked away for retirement (and a DB where I'm currently at). I figure by the time I'll be looking at retiring we'll either be paying exorbitant amounts of tax to support basic income, "fight" climate change, or whatever the flavor of the day is then, and what I do now isn't going to make a bit of difference. Or we get hit with a worldwide health crisis and see a Spanish-flu style epidemic, and what I do now still doesn't make much of a difference.

Anyone who's 20-40 years away from retirement now, I absolutely do not see enjoying the same standard of retirement as today (retire at 55, buy an RV, snowbird 6 months a year, etc). So I'm very much of the mentality to travel, ski, bike, hike, whatever now while I enjoy it and can do it. While I won't go into debt to enjoy life now (outside of the usual mortgage/car payment), I'm not going to back-load my finances either.
Ugh, as a pathological saver this is something I really struggle with.

I get genuine pleasure from deferred gratification when it comes to money, and often would rather look at taking a position in quality businesses than buying junk I don't really need. Still enjoy life and spend when it's appropriate, but really enjoy investing.

The problem is I see the same long term story, where the effort I'm putting into my finances now will simply be taxed away at rates we can only imagine to feed those who can't/won't properly secure their future. As someone who's not mentally wired to yolo money out the window, it's pretty frustrating to think about. I say all this as someone who honestly believes that healthy taxation is critical to maintaining our social fabric, just sucks to be saving and planning to feed and house those who are leveraged to the eyeballs with side by sides and toy haulers.

Quick edit, as there was no shade throwing intended in that post. I think the position you're taking is honestly the rational one given the likely outcomes, but as someone who's wired to "back load my finances" it's a troubling situation.

Last edited by RockLicker; 05-21-2019 at 08:27 AM.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RockLicker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #145
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLicker View Post
Quick edit, as there was no shade throwing intended in that post.
Never thought there was but thanks for the edit. I was raised to be fairly financially prudent, which is the only reason I have any retirement savings to begin with - and I'm definitely not going to spend any of it now. It's why I'm aggressively paying my mortgage down and didn't go close to what the bank offered for a maximum mortgage in the first place. But seeing where we're heading over the past 5 years, and watching a few family members not be able to enjoy retirement at all, has rapidly changed my tune to somewhere in the centre.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #146
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is housing the best investment?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #147
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Lol, yeah well I’m not suggesting that people should go to the bank and it would be a good choice. I mean, I’m obviously biased in where I think people can get useful advice. But the truth is that for someone just starting out there are worse places than a bank. The important thing is to start saving, and while there are better or worse choice to begin this, saving somewhere is really the first step. Once you have a decent amount saved though, you can always move it elsewhere.
Oh for sure, wasn't intending that post as a jab at you at all, and I found you very easy/straightforward/low-pressure to deal with when we bought our life insurance from you.

Just included the quote so it didn't seem like a total non-sequitur when I went on my "banks doing upselling" rant.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #148
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm 38. I put 10% of my paycheque to an rrsp that my company then matches another 6%.

I could have paid off my house next year (10 years), but instead chose to use the money on 2 rental properties instead, and hopefully have my house paid off in 15 years. I know some here are arguing buying properties as maybe not the best investment in their minds, but I find it's what's working so far for me. I get rental income to pay off the mortgages on those properties, and then hopefully down the road I get some good equity from them, both from the rental income paying off the principle and the appreciation of the property several years later. Yes, there is work involved in getting and maintaining tenants, but there's no such thing as easy money. Everything takes work, so I don't mind it.

Edit: Just wanted to add, I think I'm saving ok for retirement. Unless something drastically changes, I don't expect to retired before 65 or even 70. And really, I'm not much of a traveler, so I probably won't be spending as much as normal people on travelling. I like travelling to an extent, I just don't get as much enjoyment out of it as most people seem to. I find the cost-to-enjoyment ratio of travelling to be lower than say if I spent that money on other things. But I'm just weird that way.

Lol, and I just re-read my posts from 4 years ago. I'm not saying I'm frugal or anything, I do spend money. I just expect myself to live till I'm 90 and want to make sure I'm not one of those guys who is old and struggling to get by. That kinda freaks me out. I don't know how reliable OAS and GIS will be in 30 years.

Last edited by The Yen Man; 05-21-2019 at 11:12 AM.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #149
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

is it worth it to have mortgage insurance?
I'm thinking no as I keep hearing it's a rip off, and people should cancel it and just get life insurance which likely will cost less.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #150
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I'm thinking no as I keep hearing it's a rip off, and people should cancel it and just get life insurance which likely will cost less.

If your down payment was less than 20% aren't you required to have it by the CMHC?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #151
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
If your down payment was less than 20% aren't you required to have it by the CMHC?
I assume he is referring to the insurance you can buy that will pay for your mortgage if you were to die.

Generally I don't think its worth it but there are probably some cases it makes sense.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #152
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it depends. If your dependent(s) aren't working, then it could be a huge strain on them if something happens to you.

I've never looked into mortgage insurance since I'm by myself, and if anything happens to me, my estate can just sell all my assets and the money goes to my relatives.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #153
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I assume he is referring to the insurance you can buy that will pay for your mortgage if you were to die.

Generally I don't think its worth it but there are probably some cases it makes sense.
You can get better premiums and coverage on Life Insurance, than the mortgage insurance products offered by lenders.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #154
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
My recollection was that the major banks offer this mortgage insurance pretty cheap and its no questions asked ... and no limitations on payout. I think this is good value if you have a large mortgage.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #155
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as I don't get fired, and my DB pension doesn't implode, I should be fine. All of my own investment money goes towards maxing out my kids' RESPs, and I don't have anything left over for TFSAs, so hopefully my pension works out...
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #156
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My dad had mortgage insurance. He got cancer and died. The mortgage insurance saved my mother.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #157
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My understanding is that Mortgage insurance covers the mortgage only.

As the mortgage is paid off, the benefit reduces.

Life insurance is a set amount for the entire term.

Take the life insurance, pay off mortgage and keep the rest.

Currently, I'm worth more dead than I am alive...

Last edited by Nufy; 05-21-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Nufy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #158
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mortgage insurance is generally a bad deal. I can explain the full reasons for this, but near the top of the list is the idea that you’re basically insuring the lender as opposed to you and your family. A close second though is that a significant amount of claims are declined by mortgage insurers due to the underwriting at the time of the claim. So in layman’s terms, someone dies and then they decide whether they would have insured them. I know that sounds insane, but that’s how it works.

It’s far better to have your own, stand-alone life insurance policy. The costs are similar in most cases, but the coverage is far stronger and actually goes where you prefer and can be used as your beneficiaries see fit.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #159
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
My understanding is that Mortgage insurance covers the mortgage only.

As the mortgage is paid off, the benefit reduces.

Life insurance is a set amount for the entire term.

Take the life insurance, pay off mortgage and keep the rest.

Correct. I believe they are typically first to die policies that are expensive and never get cheaper despite the benefit value of your mortgage dropping. We just went through the process of changing to a life insurance policy that is half the cost of our mortgage insurance through our lender and actually pays out under much wider terms and leaves you with money left over as well.

As far as actual retirement saving goes, there is no one size fits all answer. You have to consider you and your spouses lifestyle goals, age, any type of pension you may have, CPP/OAS entitlements, property values and even inheritance. You want to prepare for everything, but at the same time, many many people die and never come close to using their savings because they followed a plan that didn't fit their wants and desires in retirement.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #160
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Mortgage insurance is generally a bad deal. I can explain the full reasons for this, but near the top of the list is the idea that you’re basically insuring the lender as opposed to you and your family. A close second though is that a significant amount of claims are declined by mortgage insurers due to the underwriting at the time of the claim. So in layman’s terms, someone dies and then they decide whether they would have insured them. I know that sounds insane, but that’s how it works.

It’s far better to have your own, stand-alone life insurance policy. The costs are similar in most cases, but the coverage is far stronger and actually goes where you prefer and can be used as your beneficiaries see fit.
This is the correct answer. Main benefit of life insurance is that it is done on your terms rather than what the bank lays out.

My 2 cents: I purchased a house a while back and got roped into the bank mortgage insurance. I kept paying it for a year into the mortgage. After marriage, I purchased life insurance and called my bank and cancelled the mortgage insurance. The good thing was that it dropped my monthly mortgage payments a bit. I continued paying the old amount with mortgage insurance included with any amounts that would have gone to the insurance, now going towards paying down the mortgage a bit quicker.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote