Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2019, 01:47 PM   #541
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cold War

For some reason, this movie reminded me of the prologue to Up, in which the love story of a couple whips by, covering about 60 or 70 years of their lives in 5 minutes. In Cold War, Pawlikowski whips us through 15 to 20 rocky years of a relationship as the setting shifts from post-war Poland to Berlin to Yugoslavia and to Paris while popular music trends shift from folk to bebop to free jazz to rock n roll, all in just a little over 80 minutes. Unlike the couple in the Up prologue though, this couple is insane. This is the kind of obsessive and destructive love the term "amour fou" is meant to describe. The film is really beautiful to look at, and Joanna Kulig should have been nominated for an Oscar. You can see the toll of the relationship on her face as the years pass. I found a clip of a great scene from the movie, which I've spoilered under the trailer.

Spoiler!

Hotel Mumbai

A docu-drama about the 2008 Mumbai attacks that is reminiscent of films like Greengrass' United 93 and Villeneuve's Polytechnique. And like those films, this is an edge-of-your-seat white knuckle experience, made all the more excruciating because it purports to depict real events. And like those films, there is a bifurcation in the storytelling -- the first part being more like a documentary, dispassionately observing the machinations of the terrorists and then the bewildered reactions from first responders and journalists on the ground during the attacks, and the second part being more like a conventional disaster genre flick, with movie stars playing characters with skeletal back stories (the former Russian intelligence officer, the exhausted bellhop, the wealthy American couple and their baby, etc.) scurrying around the besieged hotel trying to stay alive. It's that second part that is problematic as it smacks of exploitation but on the other hand, I doubt a movie that focuses only on the first part would ever get such a wide release. I'm not sure I enjoyed the film but like United 93 and Polytechnique, it's an unforgettable gut-punch of an experience.

The Mustang

The movie opens with onscreen text explaining the plight of wild mustangs in America and how there are prison programs that attempt to keep them alive by breaking and training them to be ultimately sold off at auctions. Once I saw this text, I predicted the entire story arc... and I turned out to be 100% right. So I don't know if I was in a weird frame of mind on this particular night but this movie still really hit me hard emotionally. In contrast, my wife was not taken in by the film's sentimentality and she is the one who loves animals. In hindsight, her reaction was probably the correct one. I'm a big fan of Matthias Schoenaerts (Loft, Rust & Bone, A Bigger Splash) and always found him to be a very expressive actor so maybe that was part of my reaction to the film. And while I was watching the movie, I was reminded me of one of my favourite films from last year, The Rider, which was also about a man and a horse and had the same unhurried, melancholy tone, so maybe that had something to do with it too. Maybe like Schoenaerts' character, I thought maybe I had developed a connection with the mustang but then I learned in the end credits that the mustang was played by three different horses.

Shazam

I thought using the plot from Big in a superhero movie was fresh and entertaining at first but the movie ultimately suffers the same problem as with many superhero movies -- that dull final third of the movie when the final showdown occurs and there is nothing at stake amidst a mess of CGI effects. And is there a reason why the kid doesn't look anything like his adult/Shazam counterpart, or even have a similar personality? The movie clearly references Big so they are supposed to the same person, right? I may have missed something. My wife thought those complaints were really nitpicky as she really loved the movie. Anyway, I was hoping the kid would bone an Elizabeth Perkins-like character -- while as Shazam of course. It would be interesting to see how modern audiences would react to that.

Under the Silver Lake

The premise of the movie was reminiscent of one of my favourite movies from last year, Burning -- a 20-something slacker dude with no visible job or network of close friends meets a hot girl by chance and spends an incredible evening with her but then the woman disappears the next day, without a trace. Because this ostensibly unattainable woman represents a potential new life for the dude, the initial yearning for the missing dream girl turns into an obsession about finding her. Whereas Burning uses that premise to lead into a paranoid thriller in which the audience is never sure if the dude is really seeing what he is seeing, Under the Silver Lake goes into a shaggy dog mystery, in the same vein as The Long Goodbye or Inherent Vice, but much shaggier and nowhere near as funny. I guess there is some pleasure watching Garfield stumble towards the answer he is seeking despite his clear incompetence and low intelligence but it's been done better in those other movies, and also in The Big Lebowski. I did rewind the movie a few times just to look back at some of the clues as this film is dense with call-backs so I was clearly engaged at some level. And I did enjoy the satirization of conspiracy theorists and the mythologized version of Los Angeles. I wouldn't be surprised if this movie turns into a cult classic in 10 or 20 years time. But for me, I found the movie more dull than not and its 140 minute running time exhausting and self-indulgent

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #542
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The Debut film of non other than Steven Spielberg, adapted from a short story by Richard Matheson who got the idea for the film when he was driving home and a large truck was tailgating him. It was originally intended to be a TV movie, and it was, even aired on TV, but ended up being a theatrical release after universal requested that Spielberg shoot additional scenes to make it a 90 minute feature.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:40 PM   #543
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not big on Will Ferrell, but I didn't hate Holmes and Watson. Not sure why it got such bad press. There's not many laugh out loud moments, but it's consistently amusing. I enjoyed it. Also has Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan from the Trip and a cameo from Hugh Laurie. 5/10
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:24 PM   #544
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I loved green book. Then again I’m a sucker for the white saviour genre. Maybe I’ll do a double feature and watch the Help too.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:09 PM   #545
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Ordered this DVD/movie off Amazon a few weeks ago. Turned out to be not a bad sci fi flick. Interesting idea for a story that kept you in suspense until the end scenes.

https://www.amazon.ca/Final-Countdow.../dp/B000096IAC

Quote:
Due to a freak electrical storm, the USS Nimitz, the world's largest nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, is transported back to December 6, 1941, in time to head off the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. As the fateful hour grows near, the ship's commanders must wrestle with the moral and ethical dilemmas of interfering with the progress of history.

Last edited by Dion; 05-05-2019 at 11:54 PM. Reason: more added
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 10:45 PM   #546
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Took my son to watch Detective Pikachu tonight. Not gonna lie, I think I enjoyed it as much as he did. I loved how they brought Pokemon to life. Corny, cheesy, and awesome. Ryan Reynolds did a fun job as Pikachu. Loved loved loved Psyduck.

Anyhow, fun movie, especially if you ever were a fan of Pokemon

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #547
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was a big Pokemon fan as a kid, but really, that's the best story/script they could come up with to bring that universe to life? Nearly all the TV episodes were more fun and coherent than that. Likable characters, disposable and forgettable story.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:36 AM   #548
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Took my son to watch Detective Pikachu tonight. Not gonna lie, I think I enjoyed it as much as he did. I loved how they brought Pokemon to life. Corny, cheesy, and awesome. Ryan Reynolds did a fun job as Pikachu. Loved loved loved Psyduck.

Anyhow, fun movie, especially if you ever were a fan of Pokemon

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Great movie! A whole lot of fun and the Pokemon looked fantastic.

My 8 year old daughter has been really into Pokemon the last year so I've gotten familiar with the characters. She loved it. Justice Smith is a really likeable actor. Hope to see him in a lot more movies.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:56 PM   #549
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed Detective Pikachu. If I had one complaint it would be that they made models for maybe 25 Pokémon and reused them the entire movie. The story was a bit silly and the motives for the villain was a bit odd and unclear but I didn’t really expect it to be a groundbreaking story or anything.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:03 AM   #550
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Ordered this DVD/movie off Amazon a few weeks ago. Turned out to be not a bad sci fi flick. Interesting idea for a story that kept you in suspense until the end scenes.

This was actually a really fun movie. I really wanted to see the US Navy with F-14's stopping Pearl Harbour

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:04 AM   #551
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I watched Fighting for my family tonight.

The movie about Paige from the WWE. It was a fun movie with a lot of heart

Old 05-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #552
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
This was actually a really fun movie. I really wanted to see the US Navy with F-14's stopping Pearl Harbour
I remember this movie fondly and I also recall reading the book when I was younger. Don’t know which came first.

This is one screaming for a remake.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #553
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I watched Fighting for my family tonight.

The movie about Paige from the WWE. It was a fun movie with a lot of heart
My wife and I watched this recently and neither of us knows anything about wrestling but it was an entertaining movie. Lots of heart and good performances.

Now we just need a movie with all of The Rock, Jack Black and Nick Frost and if we can shoehorn Simon Pegg in there for good measure then all the better!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #554
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
My wife and I watched this recently and neither of us knows anything about wrestling but it was an entertaining movie. Lots of heart and good performances.

Now we just need a movie with all of The Rock, Jack Black and Nick Frost and if we can shoehorn Simon Pegg in there for good measure then all the better!

Just for fun, This is the actual Paige Debut on Raw against the awesome AJ Lee. They really played up Paige's inability to speak, but that girl in NXT on the mic and that first night was never shy

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #555
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw John Wick 3 this afternoon and it was excellent. As usual, the fight/gun choreography and action sequences are top notch, and the world they've created with this series is cool, unique, and a lot of fun.

Spoiler!

Last edited by direwolf; 05-17-2019 at 07:42 PM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #556
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't reviewed a movie in a while so here are a few I've caught up on recently:

All the Money in the World: Once again Ridley Scott shows us what a great story teller he can be. Here he is able to fit a biography, a kidnapping, and a family drama into a coherent and entertaining film that is more than the sum of its parts. Also major props to Christopher Plummer. What a performance even without considering the circumstances. 9/10

Baywatch: Okay I admit I didn't actually want to watch this. I was staying at a friends house and he just happened to put it on and I just happened to be sitting there during the entire movie. From what I saw, this was a mess. The action and special effects was sub par and the comedy was non existent. Other than nostalgia for the original and getting to see The Rock know he is in something horrible and just going with it, there is nothing redeeming. 2/10

Isle of Dogs: Wes Anderson is usually all or nothing for me but this one was somewhere in the middle. The visuals, voice acting, and music were amazing and I was invested in the story premise. Unfortunately the story and characters felt dull and uninspiring despite the typical moments of quirkiness. 7/10

The Meg: This giant shark movie can't decide if it wants to be a big action blockbuster or a cheesy horror movie. It fails miserably with the action but is actually kind of okay as a horror. Despite the completely stupid story there are moments of entertainment here. 5/10

Skyscraper: I love The Rock but he needs to start being a little pickier with the roles. Even he can't save this one. Just a bland, dull, boring, dumb, cliche riddled attempt at an action movie. Give this a pass. 2/10

Tag: A typical mainstream modern comedy with a weird premise. The ridiculousness and a good use of physical comedy gives this legs but the story is predictable with little depth and overall there are few really funny or memorable moments. I did enjoy the cast and Jeremy Renner's performance was certainly interesting. 6/10
Old 05-18-2019, 08:13 AM   #557
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Finally watched Sicario: Day of the Soldado.
We liked the first one quite a bit. Emily Blunt was great in it. Very gritty. Felt real. The second movie has a similar feel for about the first half. Covert government group out to bring down a cartel boss kind of thing. Josh Brolin and Benicio del Toro are very good again. The story just sort of falls apart. I ended up not caring about the mission they were on because the bad guys were so bland. It didn’t ramp up the tension that should have been there for the final act.
5.5/10
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #558
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I haven't reviewed a movie in a while so here are a few I've caught up on recently:

All the Money in the World: Once again Ridley Scott shows us what a great story teller he can be. Here he is able to fit a biography, a kidnapping, and a family drama into a coherent and entertaining film that is more than the sum of its parts. Also major props to Christopher Plummer. What a performance even without considering the circumstances. 9/10

]
I enjoyed this one too but Mark Wahlberg being horribly miscast kind of dragged it down a little for me.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #559
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I might have liked John Wick 3 more than End Game. Both are worth every penny the movie theater took from me.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:44 PM   #560
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I think I might have liked John Wick 3 more than End Game. Both are worth every penny the movie theater took from me.
John Wick 3, as the kids say, whips ass. Mark Dacascos rules.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post: