Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #241
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who is that disturbed by an Amber alert that they feel like voiding the warranty or unintentially bricking their phones just to disabe them?

There has still yet to be any strong argument for allowing them to be disabled. Really, the worst case is you're woken up, you look at it, and go back to sleep. Talk about yelling at clouds.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #242
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...lert-1.5135741

People are actually calling 9-1-1 to complain about this.
Idiots.
was Chemgear one of them?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #243
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
was Chemgear one of them?
Naw, far too rational to be hyperbolic or to drive-by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Yeah, calling 9-1-1 is silly.

Ignoring complaints and feedback is probably going to condition people to ignore them outright or hack around the alerts but they shouldn't go to 9-1-1.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #244
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Who is that disturbed by an Amber alert that they feel like voiding the warranty or unintentially bricking their phones just to disabe them?

There has still yet to be any strong argument for allowing them to be disabled. Really, the worst case is you're woken up, you look at it, and go back to sleep. Talk about yelling at clouds.

Exactly.

I just do not understand the whining and complaining about something so trivial that happens so few times.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #245
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Naw, far too rational to be hyperbolic or to drive-by.
you sure have your back up about the amber alerts though.

your negative concerns about the system are what's hyperbolic.

the system probably isn't perfect, but it works dang well.
I fail to see why it's such a problem, even as it works right now.

a child is in danger. I get an alert. can I help? no. so I go back to sleep.
I get an update with more information. I hope vit helps, and I go back to sleep.

I get an update that the child is safe. good. I can happily go back to sleep.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #246
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Naw, I'm not even in Ontario, hasn't woken me up personally. Doesn't bother me other than the silliness of people calling 9-1-1. Which I think could be alleviated by some consideration of the feedback that people are giving about the system.

We have studies showing supposed increases in auto accidents and deaths after the daylight savings adjustments that we all know about ahead of time. Now we're blaring alarms for millions of people in Ontario at a pace of every 3 weeks at 5 AM, 6 AM and 8 AM (in this latest instance).

In fact, for your situation usage of the proper tiers would force the message onto your phone without the blaring alarm. You'd see it when you woke up and be ready to react as needed. People already awake (perhaps at shift work) would be forced to see the message and be ready to react as needed. And people that were asleep wouldn't have to been woken 3 or more times during their sleep. Not sure why that possible change might be so offensive?

But I get it, "think of the children!"
Old 05-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #247
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure why you would need to be woken up for the "all clear" - that part eludes me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #248
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm not sure why you would need to be woken up for the "all clear" - that part eludes me.
That's the whole problem. They (the CRTC not the police agencies) chose to only use the setting so you're going to get the blaring alarm for the initial english alert, the french version, all the various updates and the all clear.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #249
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe think of the children, for once, actually is the appropriate mindset
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #250
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Naw, I'm not even in Ontario, hasn't woken me up personally. Doesn't bother me other than the silliness of people calling 9-1-1. Which I think could be alleviated by some consideration of the feedback that people are giving about the system.

We have studies showing supposed increases in auto accidents and deaths after the daylight savings adjustments that we all know about ahead of time. Now we're blaring alarms for millions of people in Ontario at a pace of every 3 weeks at 5 AM, 6 AM and 8 AM (in this latest instance).

In fact, for your situation usage of the proper tiers would force the message onto your phone without the blaring alarm. You'd see it when you woke up and be ready to react as needed. People already awake (perhaps at shift work) would be forced to see the message and be ready to react as needed. And people that were asleep wouldn't have to been woken 3 or more times during their sleep. Not sure why that possible change might be so offensive?

But I get it, "think of the children!"

Well its actually "think of this specific child who's LIFE has been deemed to be in danger".

"here is their name and description and where they might be and what vehicle they might be in"

"If you can help us...great! If not, go back to sleep."
Old 05-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #251
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone complaining about this, is a POS.

Full stop.

Yes you Sliver. It's why I haven't re-engaged in your stupid bet, that you changed the goalposts on. Fools errand, taking your money.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #252
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"All Clear/Situation Over" alerts are sent out so that people stop calling in with their various tips. Something like an Amber Alert generates A LOT of work for PD/PSAP's in the area that it's in effect for, as many people call in everything they can remember or think or might possibly maybe somehow in some slim random manner may be related. The All Clear puts an end to the majority of these.

It's pushed out in the same manner as the original warning so that it reaches the same audience reached before, and doesn't "miss" anyone.

The alerts are sent out when they are received, so whatever time that is, regardless of what the public is 'usually' doing at that time.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #253
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

OK so 3 days out of 50 days (arbitrary number based on you saying less than two months) people were woken up. What's the issue? In any given week I might get woken up by:

a) my dog needs to go out
b) one of my kids gets sick in bed or has a bad dream, etc.
c) my partner accidentally wakes me up going to the washroom
d) some loud noise outside or such
e) some weather related event (loud wind, hard rain, thunder)

In every instance I either roll over and go back to sleep or I deal with whatever woke me up and then go back to sleep.

I think the problem that people who complain have with this system, is they likely view it as a controllable item that's waking them up, rather than an uncontrollable (like most of my examples above) item. I would suggest those people switch their mindset and view this as an uncontrollable event and maybe that'll help them be less of a dirtbag, since they can't understand the real reason behind these alerts.
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #254
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
"All Clear/Situation Over" alerts are sent out so that people stop calling in with their various tips. Something like an Amber Alert generates A LOT of work for PD/PSAP's in the area that it's in effect for, as many people call in everything they can remember or think or might possibly maybe somehow in some slim random manner may be related. The All Clear puts an end to the majority of these.
I wasn't questioning the need for an all clear, I was questioning whether it makes sense to wake people up for it.
Quote:
It's pushed out in the same manner as the original warning so that it reaches the same audience reached before, and doesn't "miss" anyone.
This doesn't make sense. As you point out above, the need for the "all clear" is so that people stop sending in tips. If I'm asleep, I was not among those sending in tips. In other words, the audience for the "all clear" does not need to be the same as the audience for the original message.

Moreover, if you are sending in tips, you do not need an alarm to accompany an all clear message. You are already paying attention. The message itself is all that's needed.

It appears that the issue with the system as it is is not being able to change the delivery method to suit the message that's being delivered. If they can't choose whether to omit the loud noises from the message, that seems like a flaw that should be addressed, if possible.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #255
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
OK so 3 days out of 50 days (arbitrary number based on you saying less than two months) people were woken up. What's the issue? In any given week I might get woken up by:

a) my dog needs to go out
b) one of my kids gets sick in bed or has a bad dream, etc.
c) my partner accidentally wakes me up going to the washroom
d) some loud noise outside or such
e) some weather related event (loud wind, hard rain, thunder)

In every instance I either roll over and go back to sleep or I deal with whatever woke me up and then go back to sleep.

I think the problem that people who complain have with this system, is they likely view it as a controllable item that's waking them up, rather than an uncontrollable (like most of my examples above) item. I would suggest those people switch their mindset and view this as an uncontrollable event and maybe that'll help them be less of a dirtbag, since they can't understand the real reason behind these alerts.
going with Chemgears example, it's been once every three weeks recently.
in which only one time it seems was when most people would be sleeping. it could be another 2-3 months without the amber alert being used again. but even if it happens tomorrow, so what?

he keeps going with the mocking "think of the children" when as transplant said, it's totally appropriate to be thinking of and trying to help that one specific child.

could they make some programming changes to make it less "bothersome"? probably. but I don't care if they do. it's child abduction * emergency alert, where all 4 major activation criteria have been met.

*(or adult with a proven mental or physical disability, but I don't think one in Canada has happened for an adult yet)
Old 05-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #256
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I have my phone on vibrate at night, and the emergency alert does not make any sound when you're on vibrate. It only vibrates the phone for about 5-10 seconds. Is it so hard to change your phone to vibrate at night if you need it in your room?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #257
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I have my phone on vibrate at night, and the emergency alert does not make any sound when you're on vibrate. It only vibrates the phone for about 5-10 seconds. Is it so hard to change your phone to vibrate at night if you need it in your room?
The alert is supposed to bypass and override all settings including vibrate only or "do not disturb" to alarm instead. I think I was out of the country when it was tested in Alberta but certainly complaints would be cut right down if it worked that way.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #258
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn't questioning the need for an all clear, I was questioning whether it makes sense to wake people up for it.
Sorry, I was explaining why the All Clear/Situation Over notice goes out in relation to Amber Alerts

Quote:
This doesn't make sense. As you point out above, the need for the "all clear" is so that people stop sending in tips. If I'm asleep, I was not among those sending in tips. In other words, the audience for the "all clear" does not need to be the same as the audience for the original message.

Moreover, if you are sending in tips, you do not need an alarm to accompany an all clear message. You are already paying attention. The message itself is all that's needed.

It appears that the issue with the system as it is is not being able to change the delivery method to suit the message that's being delivered. If they can't choose whether to omit the loud noises from the message, that seems like a flaw that should be addressed, if possible.
Well, it's an All Clear/Situation Over. So while the main thrust is to have folks stop calling in tips, it's general purpose is to let folks know that the situation is over with. It's kinda like you'd get after a Tornado has passed your location. It's dissipated, so the All Clear is sounded.

I agree that having a single level of alarm is not the best of plans, but I don't see that changing anytime soon. It's one of the many suggestions I've submitted to AEMA.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #259
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I agree that having a single level of alarm is not the best of plans, but I don't see that changing anytime soon. It's one of the many suggestions I've submitted to AEMA.
Amber Alerts are absolutely important.

Hopefully they can consider possible adjustments as necessary to continue to get people to pay attention & buy-in to the process and not call 9-1-1 or get complacent and succumb to the cry wolf syndrome.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #260
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Amber Alerts are absolutely important.

Hopefully they can consider possible adjustments as necessary to continue to get people to pay attention & buy-in to the process and not call 9-1-1 or get complacent and succumb to the cry wolf syndrome.
I think most people are bought in and you are trying to solve for a very small number of people who are being selfish and over-reacting to some that has minimal interruption to their lives relative to the benefits of the program.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: