Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #161
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Its been 4 years and he still toe drags.

Slow learner.
Really irritates me. He'll make a nice hit, steal the puck, snake through the neutral zone, and just when I'm thinking to myself "Where has this Bennett been?" he'll try and toe drag through 2 defenders and skate right into one of them resulting in a turnover
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #162
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
The unit was good, but next to none of that can be attributed to Bennett. We do know he was the 7th foward on the Flames in SHTOI in 2017-2018 with a whopping 0:42 per game. How on earth do you say he was one of the best PKers that year when he wasn't even a regular fixture or first option? These figures do nothing but point out that he was apparently good at cleaning up the scraps left over from the big boys.

This year, the Peters staff cut him out completely to a tune of 0:12 per game which leads one to believe that he was deemed unworthy by a pretty damn good coaching staff. The fact they didn't go back to him when the unit struggled most of the year speaks volumes.

I'm supporting his case to stay because he provides value, but he clearly needs to improve in these areas I mentioned. There's no reason to start throwing around best Pker claims. Faceoffs are nice but pretty irrelevant on a team chalk full of players who can take draws as well. I really don't get the need to continually prop this guy up as more than he is - an effective third liner that could be a game changer on a playoff team if he expands his game even slightly in terms of PK, offensive output.
Peters for the most part tried to find bottom sixers some time on either the PP or the PK, but rarely both (Ryan for a time).

He's pretty consistent at it.

Bennett started the year on the PK, but then was moved to the PP and with that was replaced on the penalty kill.

I wouldn't read into it that he was ineffective at all.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #163
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Thats an interesting take. Not very likely, but interesting
Yeah Bennett is not getting Kadri or Soderberg money. Those guys have a proven track record of producing and playing key roles at both ends of the ice.

If Bennett want's any long term security at all he's going to have to do so at a lower cap hit. Buying UFA years from middle tier third liners certainly won't come at a premium unless Tre goes loco and goes full Oiler on him.

3.0 AAV with some term seems like a pretty good spot in and around Roussell, Sheary, Ryan Strome type players.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 05-14-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #164
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Peters for the most part tried to find bottom sixers some time on either the PP or the PK, but rarely both (Ryan for a time).

He's pretty consistent at it.

Bennett started the year on the PK, but then was moved to the PP and with that was replaced on the penalty kill.

I wouldn't read into it that he was ineffective at all.
That seems highly unlikely though. If a player was effective or one of the best on the team, Peters would certainly give them room to excel, given the no-nonsense type of guy he is. He certainly did with Jankowski. The difference is, Jankowski was one of the team leaders on SHTOI this season, while Bennett was 8th in PPTOI, much like he was the year before in SHTOI.

He seems to be one of the last options on either side of the coin and to me that is a strong indicator that he needs to improve in both his offensive and PK acumen in order to take another step and find a real niche. Still worth the gamble given everything else he does though provided the contract isn't too cumbersome.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 05-14-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #165
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I would be pushing for something around or below 4.0M by 8Y, but willing to up to 4.80 if that's what it takes for the 8 year term.
$4 million AAV, or $4 million by year 8?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #166
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
That seems highly unlikely though. If a player was effective or one of the best on the team, Peters would certainly give them room to excel, given the no-nonsense type of guy he is. He certainly did with Jankowski. The difference is, Jankowski was one of the team leaders on SHTOI this season, while Bennett was 8th in PPTOI, much like he was the year before in SHTOI.

He seems to be one of the last options on either side of the coin and to me that is a strong indicator that he needs to improve in both his offensive and PK acumen in order to take another step. Still worth the gamble given everything else he does though provided the contract isn't too cumbersome.
That was never my comment.

I just pointed out he wasn't useless at it and therefore replaced as you surmised. But moved to secondary powerplay instead of support penalty kill.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #167
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a lot of risk for both parties in signing a long-term deal. I can't fathom either side wanting a deal of longer than two seasons.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #168
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think if I am Bennett's agent I am pushing for a 1 year extension, two at the very most.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #169
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
There's a lot of risk for both parties in signing a long-term deal. I can't fathom either side wanting a deal of longer than two seasons.
I could see maybe three, but I agree with you - why would the Flames want to gamble on 8 years paying a fair bit above what the present production is? And why would Sam want to go 8 years if he thinks he's going to pop and be able to make, say $5-6M in the future?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #170
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
That was never my comment.

I just pointed out he wasn't useless at it and therefore replaced as you surmised. But moved to secondary powerplay instead of support penalty kill.
No need to get defensive. Every Bennett conversation does not need to devolve into 1 sect getting upset that people are questioning the holes in his game.

It's especially frustrating with him now because you can see glimpses of the player he can become. Something along the lines of a JT Miller or Andrew Shaw type. Which would be a huge win.

You just hope he can step up and put it all together here.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 05-14-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #171
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I could see maybe three, but I agree with you - why would the Flames want to gamble on 8 years paying a fair bit above what the present production is? And why would Sam want to go 8 years if he thinks he's going to pop and be able to make, say $5-6M in the future?
Another ho-hum statistical season, without a real carved out role on the PP or Pk and he's likely getting close to the show me deal category which would be at or around what he's making now. Put yourself in that situation and you can see why it could possibly be attractive to him to have the security of a long term deal.

Maybe the Flames don't go that route. It is risky for sure. But it could pay off big time if he does hit his ceiling. I think both must realize by now the ceiling is certainly not as high as it once was and could easily come to terms on a longer term deal.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #172
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I would be pushing for something around or below 4.0M by 8Y, but willing to up to 4.80 if that's what it takes for the 8 year term.
Could you imagine if this guy was GM?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #173
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I still think if I am Bennett's agent I am pushing for a 1 year extension, two at the very most.
3 years makes the most sense for Bennett if he is looking to get to UFA. Not sure that is his goal though?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #174
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
No need to get defensive. Every Bennett conversation does not need to devolve into 1 sect getting upset that people are questioning the holes in his game.

It's especially frustrating with him now because you can see glimpses of the player he can become. Something along the lines of a JT Miller or Andrew Shaw type. Which would be a huge win.

You just hope he can step up and put it all together here.
Huh?

Wasn't defensive nor upset.

You replied to my post suggesting or at least inferring that I said he was one of the better penalty killers.

Didn't happen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #175
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
3 years makes the most sense for Bennett if he is looking to get to UFA. Not sure that is his goal though?
I don't think he wants that. I think he wants to be a Flame but he could still break out so I don't see him signing anything with term yet.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:29 PM   #176
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

One year gets him to UFA just as fast and offers more upside until he gets there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #177
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thought Bennett was a bit better this season, but with the Flames being tight against the cap, I'm with the others in that I don't think the Flames should overpay for just his intangibles.

He's a quality role player at this point in his career and will likely never be the #1 center he was expected to become when he was drafted. He just doesn't have the size, shot or dynamic skillset to be an impact game breaker.

But if he just found a way to be a more consistent net front presence like Tkachuk and tip more pucks in or clean up garbage around the net, I can still see him scoring 20 goals at some point.

His ability to play in tight grind it out games is probably the biggest reason I'd consider a long term deal. But it's gotta be at the right price, or I'm not sure what Treliving will do.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #178
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't think he wants that. I think he wants to be a Flame but he could still break out so I don't see him signing anything with term yet.
Bennett just went through a two year bridge/show me type deal. He's had three years in a row of less than 30 points. What would constitute a breakout and how much leverage would he hope to gain in one year?

Kicking the can down the street one year doesn't make sense for either side. Bennett, if he's smart, is likely looking for a 3-4 year deal where he can make a strong case for himself over a longer period of time while still having plenty of UFA/prime years left. Similarly the Flames would probably prefer to lock him up for a short-mid term deal & see how it plays out.

4 years 3-3.5 million per.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #179
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Bennett just went through a two year bridge/show me type deal. He's had three years in a row of less than 30 points. What would constitute a breakout and how much leverage would he hope to gain in one year?

Kicking the can down the street one year doesn't make sense for either side. Bennett, if he's smart, is likely looking for a 3-4 year deal where he can make a strong case for himself over a longer period of time while still having plenty of UFA/prime years left. Similarly the Flames would probably prefer to lock him up for a short-mid term deal & see how it plays out.

4 years 3-3.5 million per.
Bennett is currently 22 years old and I believe 3 years away from UFA. It's not like he's 25 years old and looking at having 6 more years in the league.

For that reason I think a 2 year deal at a similar percentage cap hit to what he just had works for both parties. 2 years ago he was regarded higher than Ferland, and earned a higher value contract....in the next 2 years despite Ferlands inconsistency, he did out produce Bennett by a fair margin.

Bennett's leverage is the arbitration rights and the RFA compensation likley being a 2nd round pick up to 4.2 ish million. But I don't think a good team gives Bennett those dollars plus their 2nd round pick.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #180
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Bennett is currently 22 years old and I believe 3 years away from UFA. It's not like he's 25 years old and looking at having 6 more years in the league.

For that reason I think a 2 year deal at a similar percentage cap hit to what he just had works for both parties. 2 years ago he was regarded higher than Ferland, and earned a higher value contract....in the next 2 years despite Ferlands inconsistency, he did out produce Bennett by a fair margin.

Bennett's leverage is the arbitration rights and the RFA compensation likley being a 2nd round pick up to 4.2 ish million. But I don't think a good team gives Bennett those dollars plus their 2nd round pick.
What does two more years get him at Sam's percentage cap hit? Reasonably strong argument to be made that he's not going to turn into much more than what he is now. Further, the team would hold the hammer with regards to negotiating yet another contract in two years.

Again, if he's smart, he understands his career is short and should be looking to get +/- 10 million under his belt. There are no guarantees he's in a better negotiating spot in those two years from now. I'd say it's unlikely.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote