Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #301
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

David Staples must be drinking the water

Quote:
Why would another team want Lucic? He is, after all, still Milan Lucic, one of the most feared players in the NHL. And some team will still maybe hope that Lucic can turn it around somewhat as a player. And, most importantly, some team will be tired of seeing its young star players hammered hard and will believe that Lucic can help rectify that situation.

A lot of fans don’t believe a player like Lucic provides a deterrent, but it doesn’t matter how many fans think this, or even if they are right. What matters is a percentage of NHL GMs still believe in having the biggest, baddest guy on the block as a deterrent.
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...or-poison-pill
Old 05-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #302
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post

He isn’t wrong. I don’t believe there is a single contract out there scarier than Lucic’s.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #303
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:

"Scary guys" (read goons) are cheap. NHL General Mangers know this.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:29 PM   #304
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Rome may have fallen in a day, but Milan fell with seven years.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:41 AM   #305
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not exactly sure why he's trying so hard to sell readers that Lucic is a tradeable asset. The only opinions that matter are that of NHL GM's and all he's doing here is setting up Oilers fans for disappointment.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #306
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not exactly sure why he's trying so hard to sell readers that Lucic is a tradeable asset. The only opinions that matter are that of NHL GM's and all he's doing here is setting up Oilers fans for disappointment.

It’s usually pretty easy to determine Staples motive behind his various articles. This one is a little harder to figure out.

Maybe trying to cheerlead to help sell seasons tickets? I imagine there was a monetary kickback from the Club for writing that piece on Looch.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #307
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a lot about the Holland hiring was to stop the bleeding in regards to season ticket renewals. Get a recognizable big name that had success in the past (it’s always about the past of course when it comes to the Oilers). They are trying really hard to sell the fans that next year will be different.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #308
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Lucic is worth something... he has value and therefore he is tradeable... his value is just not 6 million (per year) and that's something both parties in a trade can discuss and negotiate. The Oilers are going to have to retain salary, or add some incentives in, or both, before another GM takes on that contract.

In fact... Lucic only gets 4.75 per year going forward for the next four... and that is significant - because while his cap hit is 6 million.... he's only getting 4.75 per and that may be attractive to a rebuilding team with lots of ELC that's struggling to keep just above the cap floor. So for example... if Edmonton retains 2 million.... a team only has to pay 2.75 million but gets 4 million towards their cap space for the years before they hopefully need to pay their current ELC more money.

And Lucic also got paid closer to Leon's salary over his three years in Edmonton so far - he got 7.67 million per - so it's even worse then the 6 million cap hit lead us to believe and significantly higher then RNH's 6 million.

Last edited by JackIsBack; 05-13-2019 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added a point
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #309
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only guys afraid of Lucic at this point are the ones who have to play on his line.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #310
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
"Scary guys" (read goons) are cheap. NHL General Mangers know this.
True, McGrattan's contract was never more than $750K, and there was no scarier guy in the league. Reaves makes more now, but only a third of LUcic for the same type of production (and more effective play).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #311
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
Lucic is worth something... he has value and therefore he is tradeable... his value is just not 6 million (per year) and that's something both parties in a trade can discuss and negotiate. The Oilers are going to have to retain salary, or add some incentives in, or both, before another GM takes on that contract.

In fact... Lucic only gets 4.75 per year going forward for the next four... and that is significant - because while his cap hit is 6 million.... he's only getting 4.75 per and that may be attractive to a rebuilding team with lots of ELC that's struggling to keep just above the cap floor. So for example... if Edmonton retains 2 million.... a team only has to pay 2.75 million but gets 4 million towards their cap space for the years before they hopefully need to pay their current ELC more money.

And Lucic also got paid closer to Leon's salary over his three years in Edmonton so far - he got 7.67 million per - so it's even worse then the 6 million cap hit lead us to believe and significantly higher then RNH's 6 million.

This is all well and good if Lucic was on a shorter contract, but I believe he still has four years left and that's not attractive. He looked horrible this year and its going to get worse not better as the miles on his tires continue to add up.

On top of that, a GM might look at a strictly grabbing a player to reach the cap floor. But its likely that they're still going to want a player that's useful in this day and age. They're not going to spend 4 million bucks on a guy that can't keep up, has hands of stones that's a supposed intimidator that doesn't intimidate because teams can ignore that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #312
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As I asked him...

How does he still have a job?

It's obviously not reporting, as anyone who pays attention would know where Lucic and his contract stands in the NHL... but it's also pretty terrible PR. If Holland does pull something off that doesn't hurt the Oilers significantly elsewhere it would be a huge accomplishment and reason for optimism. However, no one will view Lucic as he hopes - and Staples' fan-fiction is about as big as Holland is going to have to sell this to make something happen.

Hopefully Ken can catch someone with their sweatpants on...
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #313
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmmm....

Milan Lucic (3M retained) and second round pick for Brent Seabrook might work. They both have NMC and Seabrook is for 5 years at 6.875M.

That would eat up the entirety of available cap space for Edmonton.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #314
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Hmmmm....

Milan Lucic (3M retained) and second round pick for Brent Seabrook might work. They both have NMC and Seabrook is for 5 years at 6.875M.

That would eat up the entirety of available cap space for Edmonton.
Yes, please!

So that would leave Edmonton paying $3M to Lucic for 4(?) more years, AND Seabrook for 5 years at 6.875M? That would be the Holland move the skeptics are expecting.

And if you think Seabrook is on the decline now... imagine what a move from Chicago to Edmonton will do for his mindset
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #315
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Was just about to post: let's drop/edit the comments about his looks in hindsight. (Had it been the LA lifestyle, then fair game)
Check out what Souray typed in that Shannon tweet. Katz thought he was milking his injury.

Quote:
This is awful. I can relate....Here’s a little story for you: After I broke my hand in a fight with Iggy in 2010 and needed pins put in to set the fracture, the Oilers insisted I get the surgery done in Edmonton. After some discussion, I agreed.

Sometime during the Olympic Break, my hand became infected and I got very sick. I flew back to EDM from LA and went to the hospital that night. I had a bad blood and bone infection (MRSA). After spending a few days in ICU and a couple more surgeries later.

I was close to having my hand amputated. I spent about 12 weeks on the IV bag with a PIC line on my heart to keep the infection from killing me. During the 10 days in the hospital, I was told that Oilers management(Katz,Kevin, Tambellini) thought I was “milking” the injury

When I spoke to the press in April 2010, I still hadn’t talked to management. I wasn’t mad they “didn’t check on me”. I was floored they thought I was using this injury not to play again that season. Obviously the rest is history. These infections are real and serious.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #316
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
The only guys afraid of Lucic at this point are the ones who have to play on his line.
I would love to see Lucic challenge someone to a fight and then watch them skate away and be unable to catch them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #317
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly, I think Lucic can probably be rehabilitated into a decent 20G 20A player for most of the remainder of his contract.

Hes lost a little bit of footspeed (because he's huge and over the hill), and mentally completely clocked out (because he's on his retirement contract and playing in Edmonton). But if he lost a little bit of weight, moved out of Edmonton, and had something to play for, I think he could rebound nicely.

I wouldn't bet $24 million in cumulative cap hit on it though.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #318
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I think you guys that think Lucic can be anything are nuts. He's the definition of 30+ players that lose enough speed to become completely replacement level or worse at the NHL level in the blink of an eye.

We've seen it over and over with young players getting faster and smarter every year. Lucic is done. He'll get a little slower each year and he's too slow to contribute now.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #319
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I think you guys that think Lucic can be anything are nuts. He's the definition of 30+ players that lose enough speed to become completely replacement level or worse at the NHL level in the blink of an eye.

We've seen it over and over with young players getting faster and smarter every year. Lucic is done. He'll get a little slower each year and he's too slow to contribute now.
Yup. The guy isnt even an NHLer anymore.

I love that he structured that contract in such a way that the Edmonton Oilers are going to have to eat every single cent of it.

Spoiler!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:11 PM   #320
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

In emergency medicine, there's a saying "Nobody is dead until they're warm and dead."

This is because hypothermia can slow someones vital signs to the point where they are undetectable. So anybody found "down" and pulseless outside is usually warmed up to body temperature before we declare them dead.

If you replace "hypothermia" with "playing for the Edmonton Oilers", the rule still holds.

I won't declare someone "finished", until they're off the Oilers and finished.

Last edited by BACKCHECK!!!; 05-13-2019 at 08:13 PM.
BACKCHECK!!! is offline   Reply With Quote