Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #241
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kind of seems like Sony is setting up Spider-man to be the new central character of the MCU

I wonder if Marvel knows....
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:33 PM   #242
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

They kinda ruined Spider man though by making him IronSpiderMan. I’m not sure why they felt the need to make him a robot and basically disregard his normal superhero powers. Homecoming was a good movie but that was a gripe of mine, only exacerbated with this film. It’s become less about how amazing Spider-Man is and more about how amazing Iron Man is at making suits. Why not just make robot suits for everyone? Oh wait, he pretty much did... I really wish they would have let characters own abilities shine through more.

Anyway I watched this yesterday for the first time. It was good, but not great. I was expecting more because the ratings are absurdly high, I would say this movie is overrated.

Stupid question time but why is Cap able to get the hammer? I thought Thor was the only one who could control it? Must have missed something there. Cool scene though.

Why did they ruin the Hulk?

Captain Marvel... I never watched her standalone movie but plan on it. I just feel like these characters should not be invincible. Part of making these stories should be the believability, small be it may, that the villain is a force that is strong and intimidating enough to win, which enter Captain Marvel we immediately know now is not happening. It’s the Superman effect, and I actually think they could have made a more compelling story and movies by not introducing that character at all. Too powerful basically.

Time travel stuff had to happen but it always feels a little hollow in movies. Still glad they mixed it up so it wasn’t as simple as get the time stone and voila.

Movie was too long, and I disagree with the assertion that there were no scenes to delete. There were lots. How about chatting with the 4 year old about cheeseburgers, for example? Or, pulling back on the cumulative 2 hours of sad camera panning watching sad people be sad.

Lastly... annoying how actors have to have their faces in every second of screen time instead of the masks they have as part of their costume. Even mid battle they are taking off helmets or masks so you know it’s Robert Downey Jr. thanks I must have missed it being you in there over the last 20 movies. Can you put your ego aside for a minute so we can see what we actually came to watch, the characters?

I know this comes across overly negative probably because lots of the good parts have already been mentioned and I agree with them. I love any scene with Rocket and fat Thor was a great touch I felt. Amazing they were able to string these movies together the way they did and most of them if not all are good to incredible movies. A great ending to be honest and loved the way they had Iron Man kill off Thanos and such a fitting way too.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #243
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

“Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.”
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 11:19 PM   #244
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
They kinda ruined Spider man though by making him IronSpiderMan.
The Infinity saga was very Iron-suit centric in allot of ways, maybe with iron-man gone we will start to see a movie away from that. Spider-man 3 could be about a broken down suit and the need to learn how to fight crime as OG spidy. I think it's probably good to see a different take on Spiderman for the 3rd iteration in 15 years.

Quote:
I’m not sure why they felt the need to make him a robot and basically disregard his normal superhero powers.
To suspend disbelief in these movies, you have to just accept these people are here because there is something innately special about the. I mean Hawkeye is up there with a bow and arrow, none of this make any sense, but its were they are. Throwing shield agent #3 into an Ironman suit wouldn't work, because he's not Ironman, Bruce Banner tried to wear the Hulk buster armour and just sucked at it.

Quote:
Anyway I watched this yesterday for the first time. It was good, but not great. I was expecting more because the ratings are absurdly high, I would say this movie is overrated.
Agreed it does not live of to Infinity War or Civil War IMO. But this was a much much harder movie to write, tying up lose ends just constrains a writer in a way that leaving them hanging just doesn't.

Quote:
Stupid question time but why is Cap able to get the hammer? I thought Thor was the only one who could control it? Must have missed something there. Cool scene though.
Marvel has been very careful to deliberately touch on allot of notes from the comics without letting it derail the story. This has been setup since Thor 1, that eventually someone else would wield the hammer "He who be worthy", Cap is famously worthy in the comics, and allot of people expected it to happen. It's really the writers having fun with the depth of content and background they have to draw on, and its exciting for fans to see them have that fun.

Quote:
Why did they ruin the Hulk?
The MCU has been running through different versions of the Hulk to keep a very flat character fresh, Unlikely Hero Hulk, Banner Repressing Hulk, Classic Hulk, Scar Hulk (Gladiator), ED analogy Hulk, and now Professor Hulk. It was actually my favorite part of the movie, and I think growing and changing characters over time has been the best part of this franchise in general. Serialized features is really the core innovation of the MCU.

Quote:
Captain Marvel
Agreed, not used well in this movie, Marvel has been famous for have relative power levels, the heroes live up to (or down to) the challenges in front of them. I think both version of Captain Marvel we have seen they have missed this beat a bit.

Quote:
Time travel stuff had to happen but it always feels a little hollow in movies. Still glad they mixed it up so it wasn’t as simple as get the time stone and voila.
Had to be done, I do like how they made fun of it, and the classic kill baby Hitler tropes were quickly squashed, I think that made it an easier pill to swallow.

Quote:
Movie was too long, and I disagree with the assertion that there were no scenes to delete. There were lots. How about chatting with the 4 year old about cheeseburgers, for example? Or, pulling back on the cumulative 2 hours of sad camera panning watching sad people be sad.
The first act was about feeling the sting of defeat and cooping with lose, the meandering start to the movie was probably not the most entertaining, but an effective way to get this point across.

Quote:
Lastly... annoying how actors have to have their faces in every second of screen time instead of the masks they have as part of their costume.
They don't really have alter egos in the MCU, I think this choice was made specifically because they wanted to show their faces in the action, like it or hate it, the choice has pretty much been there from the beginning, nothing exclusive to this movie.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 12:19 AM   #245
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally watched it and really liked it. How they did all the side missions I thought was great, it was like a little trip down memory lane.

But, where is Mjolnir? Captain America went back with it and then only gave Sam the shield at the end. Can we discuss Cap stealing the hammer?

Also, that funeral scene was probably the most expensive, pain in the ass scene in movie history unless there was a lot of CGI in that. Wrangling all those people together for one shot? Jesus

Last edited by nik-; 05-07-2019 at 12:21 AM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:21 AM   #246
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I finally watched it and really liked it. How they did all the side missions I thought was great, it was like a little trip down memory lane.

But, where is Mjolnir? Captain America went back with it and then only gave Sam the shield at the end. Can we discuss Cap stealing the hammer?
I presume that Cap somehow found a way to return it to Asgard in 2013, but there are a lot of holes that arise when one thinks of Cap's journey to return all the stones, let alone returning Mjolnir

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:22 AM   #247
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
It had to be returned to its original timeline just like the stones.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #248
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could someone explain why Captain Marvel is so powerful? I haven't read the comics, but I saw the stand alone CM film, and as I understand it, she got her powers by standing close to an engine that was powered by the Tesseract when it exploded. Why does that make her as powerful as Thanos when he has the Infinity Stone Gauntlet?
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ark2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #249
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Could someone explain why Captain Marvel is so powerful? I haven't read the comics, but I saw the stand alone CM film, and as I understand it, she got her powers by standing close to an engine that was powered by the Tesseract when it exploded. Why does that make her as powerful as Thanos when he has the Infinity Stone Gauntlet?
Because $$$

Disney, seeing how crazy successful its Frozen movie was among young girls and the amount of money it brought in, realised they could capitalise on it again with a strong female superhero in the MCU. One that wouldnt take a back seat to the male superheroes

Among all the females in the Marvel comics, Ms. Marvel made sense to them. But then, they changed everything about her. Her look, her story, her powers. They even changed her name to Captain Marvel.

In the comics, she was an Avenger, but wasn't a key player in the Infinity War storyline. Heck, I dont think even Silver Surfer or Sentry in the comics was as strong as the MCU portrayed Captain Marvel to be. If anyone have ever watched the '90s Xmen cartoon, she's as strong as Rogue (as Rogue stole Ms. Marvel's powers and put her in a coma) and Rogue wasnt considered a key member in that series.

So congratulations Disney Execs. They saw this feminist movement and every non comic fan is eating this character up while the Execs rode it's wave to another billion+ dollar franchise in Captain Marvel. Every young girl is buying up her merch and the only thing missing is a catchy "let it go" song
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #250
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus man. Who hurt you?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #251
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Jesus man. Who hurt you?
Seriously, do you have any other explanation for the drastic change in Ms Marvel's character, or are you just going to stick with another one line, drive by comment?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #252
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a comic book movie, I really don't care if they changed a woman characters powers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 08:20 AM   #253
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

That's nice. Sheep dont complain. Be a sheep

People are asking why the change but try adding to the conversation.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #254
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
That's nice. Sheep dont complain. Be a sheep

People are asking why the change but try adding to the conversation.

You take this stuff far too seriously
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #255
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

He didn't ask why they changed her from the comics, he asked why she was so powerful if her power is from the tesseract. Going off on a rant about women really doesn't add to the conversation.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #256
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Because $$$

Disney, seeing how crazy successful its Frozen movie was among young girls and the amount of money it brought in, realised they could capitalise on it again with a strong female superhero in the MCU. One that wouldnt take a back seat to the male superheroes

Among all the females in the Marvel comics, Ms. Marvel made sense to them. But then, they changed everything about her. Her look, her story, her powers. They even changed her name to Captain Marvel.

In the comics, she was an Avenger, but wasn't a key player in the Infinity War storyline. Heck, I dont think even Silver Surfer or Sentry in the comics was as strong as the MCU portrayed Captain Marvel to be. If anyone have ever watched the '90s Xmen cartoon, she's as strong as Rogue (as Rogue stole Ms. Marvel's powers and put her in a coma) and Rogue wasnt considered a key member in that series.

So congratulations Disney Execs. They saw this feminist movement and every non comic fan is eating this character up while the Execs rode it's wave to another billion+ dollar franchise in Captain Marvel. Every young girl is buying up her merch and the only thing missing is a catchy "let it go" song

Best to keep those women down huh. Can't have them enjoying any sort of equality. If young girls/women are getting excited about a female comic book hero then I say it's about damn time. There are enough male heroes and there is plenty of room for strong female characters. And who the #### even cares? They change character power levels all the time.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 09:00 AM   #257
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Seriously, do you have any other explanation for the drastic change in Ms Marvel's character, or are you just going to stick with another one line, drive by comment?
There are plenty of characters they've changed drastically. Some movie versions have even overtaken their comic counterparts in that format.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #258
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

You want the nerd explanation? Just because Thanos had the Infinity Gauntlet doesn't mean he knew how to use it. This was Thanos of the past, who'd had at that point not even had ONE infinity stone and had barely begun his quest for them. It takes him time to figure out how to work it properly and use all the stones together in Infinity War. He only wielded it for a few seconds in Endgame, and was under full assault immediately, it's not like he had time to sit and practice with it.

There are so many power dynamic moments that don't make sense throughout the MCU, that I think if you're so focused on Cpt Marvel and the feminist splash panel scene, it reflects more poorly on you than anything. Like really? A 3 hour movie and all we talk about is Cpt Marvel is OP and the 3 seconds of female superheroes fighting together? Come on. Seriously, most of this discussion has been about Marvel and the female heroes. Not time travel. Not quantum realms and different dimensions. Not Asgaurdians of the Galaxy. Not the obvious hint at Namor and how they can introduce him. Basically zero pondering about future villains. No, lets cry about the girls getting some screen time. I'm a comic fan. If you don't think there's a splash panel in the comics somewhere featuring an all-female hero assault, you're dreaming.

Christ.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #259
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whaaat??!

When Stark comes home from the desert in Iron Man 1, the first thing he asks for is a cheeseburger.

When her father dies the first thing Morgan Stark wants is a cheeseburger.

Of all the scenes to cut. Especially one that's literally 10 seconds long.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:32 AM   #260
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
You want the nerd explanation? Just because Thanos had the Infinity Gauntlet doesn't mean he knew how to use it. This was Thanos of the past, who'd had at that point not even had ONE infinity stone and had barely begun his quest for them. It takes him time to figure out how to work it properly and use all the stones together in Infinity War. He only wielded it for a few seconds in Endgame, and was under full assault immediately, it's not like he had time to sit and practice with it.

There are so many power dynamic moments that don't make sense throughout the MCU, that I think if you're so focused on Cpt Marvel and the feminist splash panel scene, it reflects more poorly on you than anything. Like really? A 3 hour movie and all we talk about is Cpt Marvel is OP and the 3 seconds of female superheroes fighting together? Come on. Seriously, most of this discussion has been about Marvel and the female heroes. Not time travel. Not quantum realms and different dimensions. Not Asgaurdians of the Galaxy. Not the obvious hint at Namor and how they can introduce him. Basically zero pondering about future villains. No, lets cry about the girls getting some screen time. I'm a comic fan. If you don't think there's a splash panel in the comics somewhere featuring an all-female hero assault, you're dreaming.

Christ.
Not sure if this post was directed at me or at Pizza, but all that I am asking is why is Captain Marvel so powerful. From her origin story, I didn't get the impression that standing next to an explosion would make someone the most powerful being in the galaxy, but that seems to be what happened. Maybe there was something that I missed. No reason to take offense.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote