Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #21
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The underrating of Sean Monahan as of late is sickening. The vast majority of you want him to become a player that he simply isn't and overlook the fact that this is a player coming off over a point per game season at 24 years old that has many positive attributes as an NHL player. One of the main reasons for the insane level of chemistry between Monahan and Gaudreau is due to the fact that Sean's game allows Johhny the freedom to be the teams main puck carrier and make plays out there. I don't buy the narrative that Monahan can't/does not create space out there when he is the one consistently drawing defenders to him in the slot. He goes to the area's of the ice which are the hardest to stay in and does so consistently. He takes a ton of abuse to be as productive as he has been, and that has taken a toll on his health.

When healthy over the past two seasons he has taken significant steps in his development. There is no denying this. How soon most of your forget just how good that top line was for the first half of the season, and a large reason for that was the play of Sean Monahan. He is not a dynamic puck carrier that will wow you on a nightly basis, and he never will be, what he is however is a player with an elite level smarts in the offensive zone that has come up clutch for this team more so than any other current roster player.

The entire roster has to learn from what happened in round 1. It was a gigantic disappointment that really has no simple answer. It was a piss poor 5 game performance. It happens - and that's what makes this game so interesting to watch.

Sean Monahan is an extremely talented and valuable player. Stop with the overreactions.

Last edited by HighLifeMan; 05-03-2019 at 10:41 AM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #22
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
That makes sense.
It’s hard to skate with speed when Gaudreau has the puck and holds onto it while zig zagging all over the place. To me it looks like Monahan has to slow down and try and read Johnny. It would be interesting to see Monahan placed with wingers that are more north/south. I’m a huge Gaudreau fan but I’ve said it before. I think Gaudreau is holding back Monahans personal development in some areas.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #23
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You don't win games by being the fastest or the toughest, you win by putting more pucks in net. I think Mony is good to go and will come back strong as ever next season. To me he looked totally gassed in the playoffs, may have been a case of losing too much body fat as the season progressed, he looked extremely lean and almost gaunt in the face come playoffs.

Sean is a warrior and I expect he'll contribute many playoff goals next season and many more beyond that. Future captain.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #24
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey
I don’t blame Monahan for the Flames sucking out loud in the playoffs (again). That’s on the entire team and coaching staff for allowing one player to completely dictate the series. But he certainly showed what kind of player he is post-ASB, and I’m not convinced this team ever wins anything if he’s the best centre on the roster.

Unfortunately I’m not even sure that’s a problem this team can solve without a proper tear-down rebuild where they end up drafting that player.

How is that a fair thing to say, and why specifically target Monahan?

Gaudreau had 7 goals in his last 33 games, and scored in just 5 of those games.

Lindholm had 2 goals in his last 24 games to finish the year.

The entire top line simply "lost" the magic they had, and unfortunately that carried over into the playoffs as well.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #25
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Monahan is always hurt near the end of the regular season. He is made of glass, he is only 24 how is he going to be when he is 28?
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybb79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #26
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

It's a good sign that Conroy was talking core strength, speed training and getting him lower in his skating stride.

I'm guessing that's the internal book on Monahan's plan and not just Conroy pulling something off the top of his head.

With the advances in skating in the last five years, things can be altered and course corrected with a motivated athlete.

Not sure I've ever heard any negatives on Monahan's attitude, so I assume he'll be all over what he's told to do. In fact I think he works out with Giordano most of the summer so slacking off isn't an option.

Two years ago he added some muscle mass, it was evident, last summer he couldn't do much because of the surgery recovery schedule.

I don't see much of a change in his disposition on the ice next year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him pick up a step and maybe be tougher to move off the puck.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #27
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Monahan is always hurt near the end of the regular season. He is made of glass, he is only 24 how is he going to be when he is 28?
It could be just a random occurrence, it doesn't necessarily mean he is made of glass.

if he was made of glass, he's presumably be injured at various times in the season.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #28
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
It could be just a random occurrence, it doesn't necessarily mean he is made of glass.

if he was made of glass, he's presumably be injured at various times in the season.
I've always hated the "made of glass" comment from fans.

I think those that use it should agree to stand with their arms out as someone wacks them in the hand or wrist with a hockey stick repeatedly.

Some guys have bad knees, it's chronic, and a concern. Some have concussion problems that threaten their career. Some have a host of bad luck from injuries all over. None of them are made of glass.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #29
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
The underrating of Sean Monahan as of late is sickening. The vast majority of you want him to become a player that he simply isn't and overlook the fact that this is a player coming off over a point per game season at 24 years old that has many positive attributes as an NHL player. One of the main reasons for the insane level of chemistry between Monahan and Gaudreau is due to the fact that Sean's game allows Johhny the freedom to be the teams main puck carrier and make plays out there. I don't buy the narrative that Monahan can't/does not create space out there when he is the one consistently drawing defenders to him in the slot. He goes to the area's of the ice which are the hardest to stay in and does so consistently. He takes a ton of abuse to be as productive as he has been, and that has taken a toll on his health.

When healthy over the past two seasons he has taken significant steps in his development. There is no denying this. How soon most of your forget just how good that top line was for the first half of the season, and a large reason for that was the play of Sean Monahan. He is not a dynamic puck carrier that will wow you on a nightly basis, and he never will be, what he is however is a player with an elite level smarts in the offensive zone that has come up clutch for this team more so than any other current roster player.

The entire roster has to learn from what happened in round 1. It was a gigantic disappointment that really has no simple answer. It was a piss poor 5 game performance. It happens - and that's what makes this game so interesting to watch.

Sean Monahan is an extremely talented and valuable player. Stop with the overreactions.

Monahan did none of the things you point out in your first paragraph during the playoffs. None. The avalanche snuffed him out and it didn't look too difficult. He was beat to loose pucks, didn't create any space for himself or Jonny & he couldn't keep up. He needs to assert himself when it matters.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #30
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Monahan did none of the things you point out in your first paragraph during the playoffs. None. The avalanche snuffed him out and it didn't look too difficult. He was beat to loose pucks, didn't create any space for himself or Jonny & he couldn't keep up. He needs to assert himself when it matters.

Nobody on this entire roster did any of those things so it seems excessively unfair to simply criticize Monahan for not doing so. He is also the only player that was playing through injury.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #31
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given all the surgeries already, I'm legit worried about his long-term health & durability. Wondering if he's just been starting to wear down near the end of the year due to it. I'd be fairly surprised if he ended up playing until 35 if that's the case.

...just speculating of course, it seems the right thread for it. Hope that's not the case of course...but if it isn't that, then what is it lately?
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #32
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

Random occurrence or not he is always hurt. He plays a soft game for that to be an issue.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #33
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Nobody on this entire roster did any of those things so it seems excessively unfair to simply criticize Monahan for not doing so. He is also the only player that was playing through injury.
As the teams 1C, and part of their core,he has to contribute when it matters. If he was hurt to the point where it affected his play, i guess we have to accept that.

I still find it concerning that even when healthy he doesn't seem to be able to play in a way that would put him in standing with the leagues top 1/2 for centers. He has to get faster & start to play more assertively. Otherwise this team will need to find a first line center.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #34
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
It’s hard to skate with speed when Gaudreau has the puck and holds onto it while zig zagging all over the place. To me it looks like Monahan has to slow down and try and read Johnny. It would be interesting to see Monahan placed with wingers that are more north/south. I’m a huge Gaudreau fan but I’ve said it before. I think Gaudreau is holding back Monahans personal development in some areas.
Somehow Landeskog and Rantanen have it figured out. It's on Monahan no one else.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #35
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Not sure I've ever heard any negatives on Monahan's attitude, so I assume he'll be all over what he's told to do. In fact I think he works out with Giordano most of the summer so slacking off isn't an option.
I hadn't heard that about working out with Gio. That's a good thing.

I've always been a little curious as to why Monahan wears an A. I guess initially he was considered mature for a young player, and all teams seems to want to elevate their young stars to leadership roles.

I have no insight into locker room dynamics but he has never struck me as a leader type. But what he does, he gets to the hard areas of the ice to score dirty goals and absorbs punishment while doing it. Some folks overlook this.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #36
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I said it in another thread, and I will say it here: Sean Monahan is an amazing top line goal scoring winger. He has top line goal scoring ability that any of the other 30 NHL teams would want if offered. The only issue with Sean Monahan is that he is a center and with a top line center you need something more than just goals. Ryan Kelser had the same issue as far as his offensive abilities go, which is why he ended up playing on the power play with the Sedins instead of centering his own power play unit. But Kesler had the defensive side of his game to make up for it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #37
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

monahan is my favorite flame, but he's an elite garbage man and doesn't really bring much else to the table. hes not physical, he gets burried in his own zone, he doesnt battle for pucks, he is not a viable option for carrying the puck through the neutral zone which lets teams key in on gaudreau, he doesnt kill penalties

ALL OF THAT SAID:

i would trust no other player in the nhl more with the game on his stick than sean moneyhands. its a very conflicting situation to me
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #38
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I've always been a little curious as to why Monahan wears an A. I guess initially he was considered mature for a young player, and all teams seems to want to elevate their young stars to leadership roles.
Yeah good point actually. Also makes me wonder why Johnny still doesn't wear a letter..even Tkachuk started sporadically wearing it and he's a few drafts later. It's a bit odd...you'd have to think he's at least been approached to wear it.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #39
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
monahan is my favorite flame, but he's an elite garbage man and doesn't really bring much else to the table. hes not physical, he gets burried in his own zone, he doesnt battle for pucks, he is not a viable option for carrying the puck through the neutral zone which lets teams key in on gaudreau, he doesnt kill penalties

ALL OF THAT SAID:

i would trust no other player in the nhl more with the game on his stick than sean moneyhands. its a very conflicting situation to me
really?
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #40
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
really?
a little bit of hyperbole there, but there arent very many people on this earth who are better in tight and clutch personified like monahan
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote