Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #2001
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not just use a bathroom scale and be sure?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #2002
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Why not just use a bathroom scale and be sure?
Thinking about it, requires going to buy one haha.

That's what the wife suggested, but I can't let her be right!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:16 AM   #2003
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

or something like this
Old 04-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #2004
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm going to go ahead and get back into golfing this summer. Need a bit of advice on that front.

My dad has always had a membership, and so when I was growing up he had me and my brother in the junior program, but I never really took to it. Learned how to swing a club, which is a good thing to learn as a kid, but I wasn't any good, and got frustrated with the expectations - it felt more like a chore than anything. So I stopped entirely when I was probably 16. Since then, I've played a handful of rounds, and the past few years I'm basically just playing in 1-2 best ball tournaments each summer that are more about getting obnoxiously drunk than they are about golf.

I have clubs, and I've been to the range a few times this spring to just see if I could consistently make contact with a golf ball. I can, but I've got a pretty nasty hook going and no consistency in terms of accuracy over about 120 yards. Basically, I still swing the club quite hard and generally hit the thing a mile, but who knows in what direction. I think I should probably get lessons? The only real goal is to get my game to a point where it's not embarrassing and I can get through a round without spraying shots left and right and losing a bunch of balls.

Tips?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #2005
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
How sticky is West Jet on bag weight when flying with golf clubs? It says 50 lb's is the limit yet I think my bag is close/over.
I pack my travel bad pretty darn full - shoes, lots of balls, jacket, etc. I've never had an issue on weight.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #2006
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
So I'm going to go ahead and get back into golfing this summer. Need a bit of advice on that front.

My dad has always had a membership, and so when I was growing up he had me and my brother in the junior program, but I never really took to it. Learned how to swing a club, which is a good thing to learn as a kid, but I wasn't any good, and got frustrated with the expectations - it felt more like a chore than anything. So I stopped entirely when I was probably 16. Since then, I've played a handful of rounds, and the past few years I'm basically just playing in 1-2 best ball tournaments each summer that are more about getting obnoxiously drunk than they are about golf.

I have clubs, and I've been to the range a few times this spring to just see if I could consistently make contact with a golf ball. I can, but I've got a pretty nasty hook going and no consistency in terms of accuracy over about 120 yards. Basically, I still swing the club quite hard and generally hit the thing a mile, but who knows in what direction. I think I should probably get lessons? The only real goal is to get my game to a point where it's not embarrassing and I can get through a round without spraying shots left and right and losing a bunch of balls.

Tips?
I think almost everyone would tell you to get lessons.

But, I'm not going to... haha. I would just get out to the range as much as you can. Watch some youtube videos right before you go to the range, and try to work on only one thing at a time. I recommend Mark Crossfield videos highly - but stick to the ones for beginners.

Swing easy. Golf swings are made better by rote and almost nothing else. You'll pick up on the feelings from good swings versus bad swings, and the more you swing, the better you will get.

It's supposed to be fun, and it's really hard: don't worry about the results too much and just whack a lot of balls. My .02.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #2007
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks. I will wait for those who advise me on the lessons and ask where I should be looking for an instructor.

In the 6 buckets I've hit in the last few days, I actually experimented with taking a lot off my swing speed to get better contact with the ball. Surprisingly, it actually produced worse results, on anything but short irons. Seems to throw my rhythm off. My hookiest shots were the ones where I was swinging slow - which, I assume, is a problem with my swing, but somehow one that fixes itself (somewhat) when I really whack it? Golf is weird.

Honestly, I'd kind of like to be able to swing slower. I'm getting older, and a hundred balls swinging full out just leads to sore palms and sore elbows.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #2008
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks.

In the 6 buckets I've hit in the last few days, I actually experimented with taking a lot off my swing speed to get better contact with the ball. Surprisingly, it actually produced worse results, on anything but short irons. Seems to throw my rhythm off. My hookiest shots were the ones where I was swinging slow - which, I assume, is a problem with my swing, but somehow one that fixes itself (somewhat) when I really whack it? Golf is weird.

Honestly, I'd kind of like to be able to swing slower. I'm getting older, and a hundred balls swinging full out just leads to sore palms and sore elbows.
That's a pretty common thing: I struggle when I try to take something off it as well. Maybe try swinging full-force, but "smoothly" if that makes sense? It improved my game a lot when I tried to hit the ball fast rather than hard.

Also, if you're hooking the ball, you've got a "closed" clubface. Try just opening your face at address (pointing right if you're a righty), and make the same swing.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:03 PM   #2009
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:

but I've got a pretty nasty hook going and no consistency in terms of accuracy over about 120 yards.
Tips?
Go online and make sure your grip is not the culprit. It probably isn't as your were a junior golfer but that could be the problem.

I think hank Haney said " You can go from a hook to good golf but you can't go straight from a slice to good golf" so your almost there!

As mentioned above go to the range and do some practice.

And maybe get a lesson or three.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #2010
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks. I will wait for those who advise me on the lessons and ask where I should be looking for an instructor.

Go see Wes Heffernan at the Golf Canada Centre. One of the best if not the best golfer to ever come out of Alberta. He teaches my son and wife.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #2011
JJolg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
Go online and make sure your grip is not the culprit. It probably isn't as your were a junior golfer but that could be the problem.

I think hank Haney said " You can go from a hook to good golf but you can't go straight from a slice to good golf" so your almost there!

As mentioned above go to the range and do some practice.

And maybe get a lesson or three.
Agree, first thing i thought when reading was grip to strong, which when when slowing down the swing could definitely lead to a hook
JJolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #2012
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

more about getting obnoxiously drunk than they are about golf.

Tips?
stick with this regardless of tournament or not
Old 04-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #2013
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I find addressing the ball incorrectly was my biggest culprit to terrible shots.

Simply addressing the ball correctly made me such a better golfer. Take a look at youtube videos on that and see how you are lined up.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #2014
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Has anyone used the Play Golf Alberta card? Like it?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #2015
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things like ensuring my grip is right and that I'm addressing the ball correctly seem to suggest that lessons are a good idea. I mean, I can look at a youtube video, but it's hard to tell when I'm actually doing it whether I'm off a bit. I don't think I have my grip wrong, but maybe if a pro were to look at it, he would think otherwise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Has anyone used the Play Golf Alberta card? Like it?
So I looked at this thing, and even though it says you can get cheap rounds at Valley Ridge and Lynx Ridge (both of which are near me), when I go to "book now", I can't find a single instance where either of those courses are available. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I was actually looking at the "Golf Pass" earlier, simply because if I'm hitting the range a lot, the $50 would pay for itself after about 9 baskets at Confederation Park (closest range to my house other than Valley Ridge, where the range is for some reason oriented so you're looking straight into the sun in the evening).
Old 04-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #2016
jayswin

Exp:

Are you under 30?
Old 04-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #2017
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If you're not 60 something weird is going on...
Old 04-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #2018
jayswin

Exp:

And yeah I've been researching this card more and it looks like your sold on "half price rates at high priced courses!!" and then can't get on at decent times.

If I understand their model correctly they purchase big blocks of tee times in advance and can then offer them at a discount. Problem is as a consumer you think you can just phone the course on those days and if they have an opening you get the deal.

Nope, you have to fight for one of the 12 or whatever tee times this company has purchased which are probably all gone within minutes of being posted. Then you're left with early morning or twilight which you can get great rates on direct from courses.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #2019
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
I think almost everyone would tell you to get lessons.

But, I'm not going to... haha. I would just get out to the range as much as you can. Watch some youtube videos right before you go to the range, and try to work on only one thing at a time. I recommend Mark Crossfield videos highly - but stick to the ones for beginners.

Swing easy. Golf swings are made better by rote and almost nothing else. You'll pick up on the feelings from good swings versus bad swings, and the more you swing, the better you will get.

It's supposed to be fun, and it's really hard: don't worry about the results too much and just whack a lot of balls. My .02.
I agree with most everything in this post. Only thing I'd change is no lessons. You don't need to spend the summer taking them but not a bad idea to have 1 or 2 just to go over the basics. Going to a range and blazing away is a good way to form bad habits that may be difficult to unlearn.

Completely agree with swing easy. So may people just go with the grip it and rip it route. Power is really secondary to a good, smooth, balanced swing. You'll hit further and straighter with a sound swing vs swinging for the fences.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #2020
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lessons, practice, repition are all great things to do.

One thing that was huge for me when learning golf as a kid was video. My Dad used the old camcorder to record me hitting some balls, when I watched it my swing looked a lot different than it did in my head. And almost instantly I was able to make some corrections.

Golf is such a weird sport. Many people have entirely different swings, amateurs and pros alike. Watching that video helped me see what I was doing compared to what I thought I was doing. Even now I'll revert back to some basics based on that video.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow