Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #3621
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Who cares how that started? No one has the bulletproof answer as to why it made Iceland's news, and blaming Notley is right up there with over-exaggerated transgressions about her tenure that included torpedoing the economy and ruining this province.

Iceland is also a relatively forward-thinking country on environmental issues. Any news that puts us moving back towards fossil fuels is always going to be construed in the wrong way.

Then you have Postmedia, Canada's biggest media company and owner of all major Alberta newspapers with a decidedly right-wing slant. If people want to look up Alberta-centric news, they're going to probably get it from the Sun, Journal, or Herald. If not, they're going to go to CBC, CTV, National Post, Financial Post or G&M. These have a various range of leanings.

It's also not hard for other media outlets to grab some of the idiotic things Jason and the UCP have said, whether an outlet supported the NDP or not. So comparing to other right-wing movements isn't exactly surprising news when there is some classic right-wing things on social and economic issues being said.

At this point the message has been delivered and is being compared unfavorably. Maybe Jason Kenney's war room can change their minds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #3622
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

That's right Ozy. Don't look at anything with a critical eye if it supports your narrative.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 05:56 PM   #3623
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
In Iceland, this election made news. It was compared to the right wing movements in Europe, Trump and racist anti gay policies, special attention was made to the level of climate change denial in what is Texas north, not a good image...

As someone who lived in Calgary for 20 years, its not a good picture.
So why should we care about an apparently terribly uneducated countries media opinion?

Also post links or I don’t believe you.

Last edited by Weitz; 04-18-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #3624
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ha! Good luck!

Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and most of the Maritimes are all going to tell the Liberals that they can take their Carbon Tax and shove it, good luck forcing it on everyone.

Its not like Kenney is some island and the only one opposed to it.
the feds can and they will. In the age of climate change and international concern, do you really think the supreme court of canada is going to rule the federal government cannot encourage the provinces to put a price on carbon and implement a price as a backstop in provinces which choose not to do so themselves?

I mean, how else is Canada going to live up to its international commitment on reducing carbon emissions if the federal government cannot take real steps to make it happen when the provinces don't?
Old 04-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #3625
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
the feds can and they will. In the age of climate change and international concern, do you really think the supreme court of canada is going to rule the federal government cannot encourage the provinces to put a price on carbon and implement a price as a backstop in provinces which choose not to do so themselves?

I mean, how else is Canada going to live up to its international commitment on reducing carbon emissions if the federal government cannot take real steps to make it happen when the provinces don't?
Lol
Old 04-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #3626
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Lol
very insightful. lol
Old 04-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #3627
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought your post was a joke so I thought laughing was wrrented.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:12 PM   #3628
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
So why should we care about an apparently terribly uneducated countries media opinion?

Also post links or I don’t believe you.
Iceland is actually a HIGHLY educated society, and politically not all that left-leaning relative to other Nordic countries. The Conservative (Independence) party has been the Natural Governing Party there about as long as I can remember.

With that said, comparing Kenney to Trump is a bit much honestly. As educated as Icelanders are they can sometimes be a little bit blind to the differences between Canada and the US, and this is maybe an example. Our political culture is less polarized and way more civilized (at least for now) than our American counterparts’ and maybe the missing piece of information in the commentary Thor referred to is the fact that we’ve had conservative government in alberya for decades with a short NDP interregnum, so its not like electing Kenney is some vast swing to the right or even a departure from the norm.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 06:13 PM   #3629
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well pricing externalities has only been economic gospel for about a century now ... and it is doubtful that at a global scale any issue is considered more important than climate change these days.

But fine, i'll let you carry on ...
Old 04-18-2019, 06:15 PM   #3630
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Iceland, beyond the liberal FB groups meme's is actually one of the most conservative nations in the nordic countries.

No I don't have any links, you are more than welcome to listen to ruv.is news.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #3631
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I thought your post was a joke so I thought laughing was wrrented.
i like how you changed your post ... have a nice evening.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #3632
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

And by all means, correct me if our news is wrong that Alberta is a hot point for climate change denial, and that it is the most conservative part of Canada.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #3633
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And by all means, correct me if our news is wrong that Alberta is a hot point for climate change denial, and that it is the most conservative part of Canada.
But really, do you have a link to that news report?

Edit: ahh, sorry, missed the other post saying you didn't.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:22 PM   #3634
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

ruv.is, but it was talked about indepth here http://www.ruv.is/utvarp/
Old 04-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #3635
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
That's right Ozy. Don't look at anything with a critical eye if it supports your narrative.
Resolute, Maybe you should ask why the media jumps on this stuff so quickly, and if you want to lump Notley in, maybe look into how her campaign influenced foreign media. In fact you should do just that, since you don't really do much else other than smug drive-bys.

The media picked up on a right-wing politician winning an election. and there is a growing movement of conservatism across North America and Europe.

The sky is also blue.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #3636
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

lol Jason, like his best friend Harper who literally attacked Scientists, is the best outcome for Alberta.

High five guys, lower taxes for the richest, no penalties for polluters, good job.

Last year a FB friend said he couldn't afford to fill up his f150, and take a vacation, because of how expensive gas was...

After the USA, Canada has some of the cheapest fuel prices in the west, but no penalty for polluting.

Last edited by Thor; 04-18-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #3637
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
Anecdotal as it is, in my company alone, 11 multi million dollar contracts were on hold until after the election. 2 days later, 9 of them are signed.
Well if the contracts were with the provincial government all procurements were on hold while the election was on so that doesn't mean anything other than the election is over.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:11 PM   #3638
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Resolute, Maybe you should ask why the media jumps on this stuff so quickly, and if you want to lump Notley in, maybe look into how her campaign influenced foreign media. In fact you should do just that, since you don't really do much else other than smug drive-bys.

The media picked up on a right-wing politician winning an election. and there is a growing movement of conservatism across North America and Europe.

The sky is also blue.
Is this where I post your Trump face pic?

Is it fake news?

You'll run out of steam man, four years is a long run of suffering. Enjoy.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:14 PM   #3639
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol Jason, like his best friend Harper who literally attacked Scientists, is the best outcome for Alberta.

High five guys, lower taxes for the richest, no penalties for polluters, good job.

Last year a FB friend said he couldn't afford to fill up his f150, and take a vacation, because of how expensive gas was...

After the USA, Canada has some of the cheapest fuel prices in the west, but no penalty for polluting.
I presume most goods and people get to Iceland on sailboats?
Old 04-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #3640
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Iceland is lucky to be able to generate clean energy due to geography. If that wasn't the case the country would be burning oil like most everyone else.
Closed Thread