Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2019, 04:25 PM   #421
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I will add that I think the least concerned people about this loss are the guys in Calgary Flames dressing room. They have shown to be extremely confident about their game and quite resilient.
If this was January I would agree.

No secret things haven’t been right since the break.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #422
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

The frustrating thing for me with Neal is that they put him on PP2 but do little to try and set him up (yes, I realize part of that is on Neal to get open). Instead, he stands in the slot and they don’t pass to him so he basically does nothing to contribute. Really frustrating to watch.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #423
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
The frustrating thing for me with Neal is that they put him on PP2 but do little to try and set him up (yes, I realize part of that is on Neal to get open). Instead, he stands in the slot and they don’t pass to him so he basically does nothing to contribute. Really frustrating to watch.
I thought Neal was actually quite good on the PP. He made a nice play to get the puck back to Brodie prior to Rasmus' goal, and the goal only happens because Erik Johnson focuses on covering Neal in the slot, allowing Rasmus to be wide open for the tap in.

Neal also made a couple great plays on 50/50 pucks to keep possession. Didn't notice him outside of his early chance 5 on 5 though, which is disappointing.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 04:42 PM   #424
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
He’s always played in the slot, tipping pucks, banging in rebounds. He’s never played the Ovechkin/Stamkos role on a power play. At least not recently (VG).
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #425
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've no opinion on keeping Neal in or taking him out. But if posters are thinking his lack of pace was what stood out last night, I'd disagree. Practically the whole Flames roster was second place to pucks all night; Neal skating faster would not have made things look any different.

They need a better game plan to cope with what the Avalanche brought.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #426
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Did you watch the Flames play in 1989....round one?
The fact that if Vernon didn't make a glove save on a breakaway in overtime of round 1 we wouldn't even have our one cup still haunts me some times.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #427
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
The fact that if Vernon didn't make a glove save on a breakaway in overtime of round 1 we wouldn't even have our one cup still haunts me some times.
There were multiple extremely close calls on both sides...I recently watched the OT in that game it's absolutely crazy.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #428
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Neal blew himself up 3 times last night going for hits that he was a clearly to slow to execute, ended up missing his target completely but got all of the boards.

My issue with Neal is that it's effectively a shorthanded opportunity for the avs everytime Neal is on the ice because he is behind the play, often significantly, 90% of the time.

It really hurts the effectiveness of your line when you can get covered by double coverage with impunity because your linemate isn't even in the same zone as the puck.

I REALLY want Neal to find some success, but he is the worst 5-5 producer on the team this year and the playoffs is not the time to be gifting him icetime to get home going.

I don't mind him being on PP2 but keep his even strength minutes as low as you can. If you cant shelter him effectively without it hurting the other lines, put in someone who doesn't take that much babysitting.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #429
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sucked. Oh well it happens in the playoffs where a team down in the series comes out with their back against the wall and guts out a win based on effort and physicality alone. Despite this is took lucky bounces and a perfect shot from a top 5 player for Colorado to pick up the win.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #430
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Yup the angst is well warranted. Losing a game we should have stolen the way we did could well turn out to be the turning point in the series.

COL has all the momentum and is feeling really good about themselves heading home and no doubt are thinking the way they have played not only can they win this series but they should win.

Flames are no longer the favourites imo.

We win game one 4-0 while playing average. We barely lose game two in OT playing poorly and suddenly this makes the Avs the favorites? They are one line team, who’s line actually showed up last night. Shut down Mackinnon, play average to above average otherwise and we’ll win the remaining games.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #431
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Think its less about the Avs and more about the Flames. The Flames continue to play lacklustre hockey, I find that concerning. In the playoffs every moment is crucial, the Flames have yet to show any desperation/urgency.

The good news is that they are playing a team that really only possess 1 line, so the margin to figure it out seems to be larger, but it doesn't bode well if they have Stanley Cup aspirations if they don't figure it out.

Fingers crossed the young team can figure it out sooner rather than later.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #432
KipperFaNaTic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Shoutout to the press level crew chanting "Oilers Suck".
KipperFaNaTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #433
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
Think its less about the Avs and more about the Flames. The Flames continue to play lacklustre hockey, I find that concerning. In the playoffs every moment is crucial, the Flames have yet to show any desperation/urgency.

The good news is that they are playing a team that really only possess 1 line, so the margin to figure it out seems to be larger, but it doesn't bode well if they have Stanley Cup aspirations if they don't figure it out.

Fingers crossed the young team can figure it out sooner rather than later.
Need to neutralize their speed and skill however and counter with our own.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #434
WesternCanadaKing
Giver of Calculators

Exp:

This is the best result we could have asked for considering how the Flames played the first two periods. I think their inexperience showed in their effort. That was a regular season mindset while the Avs were in full desperation playoff mode.

Given they were totally embarrassed most of the game, winning anyway wouldn't have been the wake up call they needed. After the Compher goal something seemed to sink in and the Flames owned the play from that moment onward. Keep in mind that the Avs were playing at their top level already. Mackinnon's goal was literally their only shot since Compher scored. Flames racked up at least 12, and many were high danger.

Stealing one would have been a recipe for further complacency. I think we see dominant efforts in Denver, with MacKinnon and Grubauer keeping it closer than it should be for the Avs. There is no next level for their team. They showed everything they have last night.

It will be very possible to wrap this up in 5, but it will likely go to 6 at least. If this goes to game 7 I'm feeling nervous - but I still feel the Flames are in total control of this series.
WesternCanadaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WesternCanadaKing For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 05:56 PM   #435
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Neal blew himself up 3 times last night going for hits that he was a clearly to slow to execute, ended up missing his target completely but got all of the boards.

My issue with Neal is that it's effectively a shorthanded opportunity for the avs everytime Neal is on the ice because he is behind the play, often significantly, 90% of the time.

It really hurts the effectiveness of your line when you can get covered by double coverage with impunity because your linemate isn't even in the same zone as the puck.

I REALLY want Neal to find some success, but he is the worst 5-5 producer on the team this year and the playoffs is not the time to be gifting him icetime to get home going.

I don't mind him being on PP2 but keep his even strength minutes as low as you can. If you cant shelter him effectively without it hurting the other lines, put in someone who doesn't take that much babysitting.
So who helps PP2 more, Neal or Czarnik?

I am going to pledge to keep my Neal venting to the off-season, if needed. And really, his impact on the game is far less than that of the players on the top line. That’s where the biggest improvement can come for the games in Denver.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:19 PM   #436
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So who helps PP2 more, Neal or Czarnik?
Neal is better on PP2. But the way Colorado is executing their breakouts right now, I'd be tempted to see if Czarnik's speed can disrupt that.

Really, though, all season I keep coming back to "Mark Jankowski is our weakest link". Neal-Bennett-Czarnik should be our third line.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 08:34 PM   #437
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames win game 3 in a nail-biter and then blow the Avs out in game 4.

Sticking to my prediction of Flames in 5.
malcolmk14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #438
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Wouldn’t mind them slotting Dube in to be honest. Think he could help. I’d probably take Jankowski out who is criminally overrated on this site. I’m not even sure Jankowski is an NHL caliber player to be honest. For people to call out Neal? At least he’s thrown the body around a couple times. Jankowski has been the worst forward so far I think.

Monahan has been disappointing but can’t be too upset when he absolutely dominates the face off circle and has a goal. I’m critical of him though only because I see Johnny working his bag off and it seems like Monahans urgency isn’t there. He’s never been a super tenacious player- it just isn’t in his DNA- but would it kill him to mix it up in the playoffs here? Throw a punch push people get angry. He’s not a small guy. Those scrums in front of the net after the whistle, he leaves me wanting more in those types of situations.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #439
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Wouldn’t mind them slotting Dube in to be honest. Think he could help. I’d probably take Jankowski out who is criminally overrated on this site. I’m not even sure Jankowski is an NHL caliber player to be honest. For people to call out Neal? At least he’s thrown the body around a couple times. Jankowski has been the worst forward so far I think.

Janko is on our top PK unit with Lindholm, which hasn't given up a shorthanded goal in this series. He was also second in the league in shorthanded goals. Not saying he's been dominant 5-on-5 (because he hasn't been), but no, he does not belong in the AHL.

Dube is a black ace right now, and depth if there are injuries up front. If you're looking to add speed, Czarnik is your guy. Besides, Game 3 in a 1-1 series is not the time to throw in guys like Dube and Valimaki IMO.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #440
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Haven't read the whole thread, but from puck drop it was pretty obvious Nathan MacKinnon was likely going to win last night's game on his own. Flames will answer tomorrow.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote