Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #3141
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's like a cross between The Goonies, The Wonder Years and X-Files. Stoked.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #3142
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always though it is kind of cool to see kids grow up on the screen.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #3143
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love death and robots was awesome. I can't believe the animation quality especially for episodes like Beyond the Aquila Rift and Ice Age.

Really liked the varied themes of all the episode. Got my goofy 90s cartoon, philosphical debate content, comedy, sci-fi and random action all in one series.
FlameOn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #3144
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Love death and robots was awesome. I can't believe the animation quality especially for episodes like Beyond the Aquila Rift and Ice Age.

Really liked the varied themes of all the episode. Got my goofy 90s cartoon, philosphical debate content, comedy, sci-fi and random action all in one series.
I've found a lot of the Netflix original stuff of late to be ho-hum but of late they have delivered with this and Russian Doll.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #3145
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I've found a lot of the Netflix original stuff of late to be ho-hum but of late they have delivered with this and Russian Doll.
Completely agree with this notion, that Netflix stuff has been okay. Watchable, but nothing to write home about.

I can't even articulate how satisfied I've been watching Love, Death and Robots. To the point where I already started rewatching some of my favorites (which is hard, because they're all so good), and I feel I could probably go back to the well many years later and love them the same.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #3146
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post

Haven't been able to watch this, yet. My understanding was the concept was originally meant as a re-imagining of "Heavy Metal". I don't see any reference to that in the marketing though. I guess they decided to scrap the formal association.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #3147
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Haven't been able to watch this, yet. My understanding was the concept was originally meant as a re-imagining of "Heavy Metal". I don't see any reference to that in the marketing though. I guess they decided to scrap the formal association.
I'm not sure marketing it as a re-imaging of a 37 year old movie is a great idea considering the majority of viewers can't associate with it. Even I was pretty young when Heavy Metal came out. If you are a fan of Heavy Metal you will love this for sure though.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #3148
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

They also might want to avoid any legal issues by bringing it up in the marketing.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #3149
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

great to hear Netflix renewed F1... love the format of episodes focusing on 2 teams and one race (or two) per episode...

incredible level of access given to the filmmakers (except for ferrarri and mercedes)...

definitely one of the best show on Netflix imo... trailer here

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 03-23-2019 at 10:24 AM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #3150
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup F1 series was fantastic. Shame the top 2 teams didn't participate but rumours are they might this year.

The Red Bull vs Renault episode was awesome. I just hope the series cuts out some of the cheese. The sound effects and fabricated storylines on the later episodes were pretty excruciating for anyone that actually follows F1 and knows the true stories.

Still amazing to watch though
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #3151
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Yup F1 series was fantastic. Shame the top 2 teams didn't participate but rumours are they might this year.

The Red Bull vs Renault episode was awesome. I just hope the series cuts out some of the cheese. The sound effects and fabricated storylines on the later episodes were pretty excruciating for anyone that actually follows F1 and knows the true stories.

Still amazing to watch though
They really got to ditch the crash sounds added in. *Kapppoouuuuughhhhhhh, boooooooommmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - driver hitting soft wall after spinning out.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:40 PM   #3152
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
They really got to ditch the crash sounds added in. *Kapppoouuuuughhhhhhh, boooooooommmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - driver hitting soft wall after spinning out.
Haha that and the one they add to a car locking it's brakes for a split second making it sound like a semi truck skidding out
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 07:20 AM   #3153
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

the new season of Queer Eye is on!

watched only the first two episodes of season 3 so far, but awesome. show is fun and tear jerking.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #3154
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

About twenty minutes into watching "The Dirt" I had a startling realization, something I had forgotten, "Hold on, I hate Motley Crue". They lived hard, they had a ton of sex, addictions, car accidents, estranged kids, blah blah blah.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #3155
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
About twenty minutes into watching "The Dirt" I had a startling realization, something I had forgotten, "Hold on, I hate Motley Crue". They lived hard, they had a ton of sex, addictions, car accidents, estranged kids, blah blah blah.
Same.

Though their current state is hilariously bad:

They're a current version of this Patton Oswalt bit about fat Axl Rose:
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #3156
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Though their current state is hilariously bad
Yeesh.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #3157
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Ha, I was going to defend the Crüe but then I watched the video posted by AC. Ooof, Vince was struggling to say the least. You can’t go back I guess ha ha.

On a side note, they finish the show with Kickstart My Heart? Shouldn’t that start the show?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #3158
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Same.

Though their current state is hilariously bad:

They're a current version of this Patton Oswalt bit about fat Axl Rose:
They are fine other than Vince who can't sing anymore...Mick Mars is pretty impressive considering his age and health issues. I think they are totally done now, that was 2015

My problem with the movie was the terrible acting...looked like a made for TV movie
Old 03-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #3159
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
They are fine other than Vince who can't sing anymore...Mick Mars is pretty impressive considering his age and health issues. I think they are totally done now, that was 2015

My problem with the movie was the terrible acting...looked like a made for TV movie
Could Vince ever sing? He was pretty bad back in the 80s but that was mostly because he was wasted all the time. And he definitely never had abs.

Getting a heavily-tatted guy to play Tommy Lee was a bad idea. They had to cover him with makeup and then draw on Tommy’s tattoos, which looked awful.

Their hair was all bad, especially Nikki Sixx. I kept getting him and Mick Mars mixed up.

Pete Davidson was embarrassingly bad. I hope he was being awful on purpose.

Edit: having said that, I did enjoy the movie in a Spinal Tap sort of way. It was cheesy fun.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 03-25-2019 at 04:47 PM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #3160
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vince was never considered a great singer. Talent-wise he was the weak link of the band as Tommie was one of the best drummers of the 80's, Nikki was a talented songwriter, Mick was a great guitarist, and then you have Vince. Like David Lee Roth he was more of a frontman than great vocal talent. I have seen them live a few times and he was never as bad as the video above as in the 80's he could sing and even in 2008 he was decent enough as they put on a pretty good show at the Dome. Mick Mars in particular is kind of underappreciated as he had a blues background and wasn't one of those shredders that were prominent at the time but he was a really good rhythm player and had some great riffs (Kickstart my Heart, Dr. Feelgood, etc). The guy can barely move yet when I saw them last 10 years ago he was the best part of the show.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-25-2019 at 07:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: