Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #101
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol Boring Sean Monahan says the same thing two different ways.

Quote:
“It’s a different feeling in our dressing room, and he is a big part of that,” said Flames first-line centre and alternate captain Sean Monahan. “The mentality of our dressing room now, it’s completely different, and I think that’s a big credit to what he’s brought in for us.”
Old 01-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #102
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
The article says we are 33-15-5. Come on Calgary Sun.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #103
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately this award should simply be named "Coach of most surprising team".

Of course it's very hard to really know how much impact the coach is having, but it's hard to view what the Flames and Islanders are doing and not give enormous credit to their respective coaches. But it would be nice if this award also rewarded sustained excellent results, For example I'd give Gallant a ton of credit for keeping Vegas near the top of the standings again this year.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #104
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Wow, look what Monahan said...
Quote:
“It’s a different feeling in our dressing room, and he is a big part of that,” said Flames first-line centre and alternate captain Sean Monahan. “The mentality of our dressing room now, it’s completely different, and I think that’s a big credit to what he’s brought in for us.”
Says volumes about GG and his abilities, well , lack of abilities actually.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #105
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post

"We weren't ready to play" drove me ####ing crazy.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #106
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post

Exactly...GG was the one not ready.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #107
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
I wanted to cut his hair off and beat him to death with it each and every single time he uttered that phrase.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #108
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post

great to read... i think that he was a bit of an unknown quantity, laboring in Carolina and not especially successful...

Similar to watching Carolina versus Calgary the other night, when they visited last year, i thought Carolina was actually a pretty solid team, though they were inconsistent, and had a really good game versus Calgary last year...

the Babcock pedigree really comes through hearing him speak; very direct, no nonsense... but great 'feel' for the game it seems like... able to push the right buttons most of the time to get them playing at their best.

Peters has really been great...A+ hire for me... exceeded every expectation i had for the team so far... comfortable to say that Peters will be able to keep them on track for the rest of the season.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #109
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so glad I was wrong about Peters when he was first hired. I was cautiously optimistic and willing to give him a shot. But I thought it was a huge mistake not hiring Vigneault or even Sutter. But looking back, would the team be in the same spot if either of those 2 were hired? They are great coaches. But I don't think we'd still have a 2nd place team. Like players, some coaches just have great chemistry on certain teams with certain players.

BT's vision really has fallen into place. The hiring is damn near a grand-slam and IMO he'll be a coach of the year candidate, no doubt.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #110
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I'm so glad I was wrong about Peters when he was first hired. I was cautiously optimistic and willing to give him a shot. But I thought it was a huge mistake not hiring Vigneault or even Sutter. But looking back, would the team be in the same spot if either of those 2 were hired? They are great coaches. But I don't think we'd still have a 2nd place team. Like players, some coaches just have great chemistry on certain teams with certain players.

BT's vision really has fallen into place. The hiring is damn near a grand-slam and IMO he'll be a coach of the year candidate, no doubt.
Ditto. I was concerned about going the 'untested' route with Peters the way we did with Ol' Gul but other than James Neal I must admit that Treliving had himself one hell of an off-season.

Kudos to the Wizard. Peters is knocking this out of the park so far.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #111
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I think a lot of us were taken aback and pissed off because it seemed like the team hit the available coaching lottery last summer only to pass them all up for a current coach of a team that doesn't win hockey games.

It felt like another "I think I'm the smartest guy in the room" move that has plagued this team for years, but it turns out Brad Treliving was actually the smartest guy in the room.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 09:17 PM   #112
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing about Peters that was really concerning was the advanced metrics in some categories was eerily similar to that of Gulutzan's Flames. I was worried it was another around of boring Gulutzan hockey. Upon hearing his presser, I was much more relaxed as he specifically outlined some of attributes of the system he intended to implement, and it basically addressed every single one of the concerns I had.

Peters is deserving of every accolade he has been getting, and I rank him as one of the few coaches that has passed through this organization that I think very highly of. With that being said, I think some accolades should also be thrown towards Ward (the PP is tiers better... light years better) and I bet that Huska has had a positive impact on the defensive side of things (I thought the Flames under Gulutzan were poor defensively as a team). Heck, Gelinas is probably deserving of some accolades as well - there is a reason why he has been retained through three coaching regimes thus far.

I never feel that the Flames are out-coached. Hitchcock always seemed to out-coach the Flames for the last 6 or 7 seasons it seemed, but not any more (though maybe it has something to do with the Oilers being THAT no good too). Nobody seems to out-coach Peters. The adjustments he makes in-game seem to make a difference, and he doesn't wait around to make them.

This season has been incredibly enjoyable as a fan, and I bet quite a lot of it has to do with Peters.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 09:52 PM   #113
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I think a lot of us were taken aback and pissed off because it seemed like the team hit the available coaching lottery last summer only to pass them all up for a current coach of a team that doesn't win hockey games.

It felt like another "I think I'm the smartest guy in the room" move that has plagued this team for years, but it turns out Brad Treliving was actually the smartest guy in the room.

Or on the flip side, some here think they are the smartest guys?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:15 PM   #114
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder how deep the Fire Treliving thread is in this forum! We should allow people to delete historical posts as Mark Spector does for the Oilers.

Last edited by calgarywinning; 01-24-2019 at 10:19 PM.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:41 PM   #115
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I never feel that the Flames are out-coached. Hitchcock always seemed to out-coach the Flames for the last 6 or 7 seasons it seemed, but not any more (though maybe it has something to do with the Oilers being THAT no good too). Nobody seems to out-coach Peters. The adjustments he makes in-game seem to make a difference, and he doesn't wait around to make them.

That's the thing I've been most impressed with in Peters, he has a vision of how the team should play the game in how he sets up the lines, but if it isn't working he isn't afraid to change them up quickly. I had forgotten what in-game adjustments looked like after 2 years of Gulutzan hockey
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #116
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/fans/flam...fittingthebill

Quote:
More viable Jack Adams candidates as coach of the year, really, to be found sprinkled around the National Hockey League than murder suspects with a motive in an Agatha Christie whodunit.

"Certainly there are lots of coaches who've done good jobs this year," agrees Flames GM Brad Treliving, "but I don't put our guy behind anybody.

"Don't forget, there really was no get-to-know-you period. We jumped in pretty quick, went to China, and incorporated some young players - basically playing two rookies on the blueline all year.

"The consistency of our team, finding roles for everybody … he and the entire staff have done just a wonderful job. I mean, we had a little burp a week ago and suddenly the world's coming to an end, right?

"That illustrates how consistent this team's been, how expectations have grown, have accelerated.

"And Bill Peters, obviously, has played a major part in all of that."
Quote:
But the impact of the new gent at the rudder can't be overstated.

"First off, his message is clear, what he wants from us," says Giordano, a veteran of a half-dozen coaches during his stellar tenure here. "There's no beating around any bushes.

"And details … he's bang-on with those, sharp. A lot of people don't realize how big those are in winning games. Face-offs, for example, are huge for him. The forecheck in the D-zone.

"The other thing, for me, is his ability to adjust during games, switching lines up to get guys going. His in-game adjustments have really helped when we've been a little flat, in need of a spark.

"He had to take a little time and see what he had here, but then he started pushing the right buttons. His message has hit home with our players, we've bought in and it's working."
Quote:
"Peel back the layers on Bill?" laughs centre Derek Ryan, one of the Carolina recruits that have played their entire NHL careers for Peters. "I'm not sure I have yet.

"I've obviously been coached by him for a long time. He's not there to be your best friend, he's there to help you win.

"He's pretty serious but can take his foot off the gas and relax a little when the guys need it. Most of the time, though, he's pretty dialled in, high energy, looking to get the best out of everybody, whatever that might be for an individual."

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #117
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

its funny looking back at the number of people who didn't like the hire.

mea culpa: i wasn't necessarily a fan (mainly based on his lack of success in Carolina), but thought i'd better give him a chance before making a judgement...

i know a lot of people felt better after his introductory press conference, because he seemed to have a strong sense of who he was as a coach, what he wanted to do and he already seemed to have a handle on the roster.

reposting it now as we can see that the press conference was really a great indicator of what kind of coach he would be his first year. His no nonsense, direct approach with a great feel for the game really stood out in the PC... i especially liked his humility in discussing the Eddie Lack clip; admitted he was wrong, was contrite and vowed he would learn from his mistake...i really respected that part

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/pet...092/c-60070603

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 03-24-2019 at 02:27 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #118
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

mea culpa: i wasn't necessarily a fan (mainly based on his lack of success in Carolina), but thought i'd better give him a chance before making a judgement...
Just went and checked. I too was wayyy wrong about Bill Peters. I thought he'd be another defensive coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Look, I'm not trying to bash Bill Peters. Maybe he can take us to the playoffs. Maybe he can win us a round. Maybe he can win himself a Jack Adams.

But I'm just a bit frustrated by an organization whose only objective it seems to be is to keep the cap hits low. Brent Sutter. Glen Gulutzan. Bill Peters. I highly doubt this team suddenly finds itself in the top ten in scoring under Peters, regardless of how not-talented the Hurricanes are. They were in the top ten in scoring two years in a row under Bob, so it's not like they don't have it in them.

Whelp.

I guess Glen Gulutzan was just that bad. Peters has this team 2nd in goal scoring. GG had us 26th. And Tkachuk's cap hit is gonna be absurdly high.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 03-24-2019 at 02:54 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #119
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i especially liked his humility in discussing the Eddie Lack clip; admitted he was wrong, was contrite and vowed he would learn from his mistake...i really respected that part

And idea when about that came up? I just clicked through the video looking for it and I couldn't find it.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #120
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

mea culpa:
i wasn't necessarily a fan (mainly based on his lack of success in Carolina), but thought i'd better give him a chance before making a judgement...

i know a lot of people felt better after his introductory press conference, because he seemed to have a strong sense of who he was as a coach, what he wanted to do and he already seemed to have a handle on the roster.

reposting it now as we can see that the press conference was really a great indicator of what kind of coach he would be his first year. His no nonsense, direct approach with a great feel for the game really stood out in the PC... i especially liked his humility in discussing the Eddie Lack clip; admitted he was wrong, was contrite and vowed he would learn from his mistake...i really respected that part

Myself as well. I think my major issue at the time was the availability of bigger names and going to another 'off the board' coach rather than some established names as well as Treliving's admitted lack of a search.

But its times like these where I'm more than happy to be wrong.