Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #3301
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do these UCP insiders hope to gain? They would rather see Notley re-elected? Weird.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #3302
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup it's press progress but as GGG notes, so far...
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #3303
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I agree that their biased but they have been accurately reporting this story from December onward.

The text of the article is always hard left slanted but the information (emails and connections between people) appears accurate
Even a broken clock is right twice a day and not saying they are wrong or right but that is the propaganda blog of the NDP - they don't even publish the names of their writers. Take it all with a grain of salt.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #3304
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

UCP retains huge lead over NDP in crucial Calgary battleground: poll

Quote:
The popularity gap between the leading United Conservative Party and the NDP has shrunk but the margin in the crucial Calgary battleground remains huge at 21 points, suggests a recent poll.

The online poll of 1,196 people conducted March 14-17 by ThinkHQ Public Affairs states that province-wide, Jason Kenney’s UCP has 49 per cent of decided support with the NDP second at 38 per cent, a gap that has narrowed by three points in the past month.

In Calgary, meanwhile, the UCP has 54-per-cent support, while the NDP trails at 33 per cent.

While the NDP has an 18-point advantage in Edmonton, where they fared well in the 2015 election, the governing party is stuck with Calgary numbers they had four years ago but with no vote split on the right, said ThinkHQ President Marc Henry.

“The math and geography is hard (for the NDP)… How do you make it up in 27 days where you’ve been in the last four years,” he said.
Quote:
But Henry said of 30 Calgary-area seats, there are probably only six that the NDP has a chance of winning “and the NDP isn’t leading in any of them.”

The governing party could be competitive in a few ridings in the province’s North and in Lethbridge but the UCP generally has rural areas locked up, added Henry.

The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.8 percentage points.
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...y-battleground
Old 03-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #3305
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I don't think anything is surprising there. The biggest surprise to me is that if that poll is accurate, the UCP is representing less than half of the decided vote. That seems disastrous in my head, which I had initially thought was at around 60-65%. And who knows how much more that will shrink in the next month.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #3306
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I don't think anything is surprising there. The biggest surprise to me is that if that poll is accurate, the UCP is representing less than half of the decided vote. That seems disastrous in my head, which I had initially thought was at around 60-65%. And who knows how much more that will shrink in the next month.
I don’t know. If a party gets 60-65% they will win almost every seat. Of course it depends on the distribution, but that would be an enormous victory. Even so, aren’t they well into majority territory with that 48%?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #3307
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I agree that their biased but they have been accurately reporting this story from December onward.

The text of the article is always hard left slanted but the information (emails and connections between people) appears accurate
Shouldn't they report the full scope of emails and texts they report on if they want to be accurate? Instead of small sections?

But really Press Progress is just a left slanted "news" source with only one goal in mind.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #3308
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don’t know. If a party gets 60-65% they will win almost every seat. Of course it depends on the distribution, but that would be an enormous victory. Even so, aren’t they well into majority territory with that 48%?
Likely so, but in a two party election (which this one practically is) that could make it closer than it might be expected in a three or more party race. But given the concentration of votes for each party by geographic area I suspect most ridings will not be close and go either comfortably NDP or UCP.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #3309
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
What do these UCP insiders hope to gain? They would rather see Notley re-elected? Weird.
I'd bet good money it's former UCP members who were punted for various reasons. Out for petty retribution after they were removed. They know they can leak the parts that they want and the press will protect them, so there is no downside to them.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #3310
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or maybe they don't want to see white supremacists dictating policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:31 PM   #3311
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Or maybe they don't want to see white supremacists dictating policy?
Well, that was predictable.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #3312
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm yes it sure is odd that a man of color who was pushed out of his riding for a parachute candidate would want to sabotage her bid when he had proof that she was human garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #3313
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

CBC poll tracker

crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #3314
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Christ the Liberals need a charismatic leader in Alberta. Guy like Nenshi could revitalize that party into a proper second choice. The fact we have no centre party to choose from right now makes politics so polarizing.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #3315
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Shouldn't they report the full scope of emails and texts they report on if they want to be accurate? Instead of small sections?

But really Press Progress is just a left slanted "news" source with only one goal in mind.
Is there a relatively unbiased news source in Alberta at the moment?
Old 03-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #3316
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Christ the Liberals need a charismatic leader in Alberta. Guy like Nenshi could revitalize that party into a proper second choice. The fact we have no centre party to choose from right now makes politics so polarizing.
Except we do.

https://www.albertaparty.ca/
The Alberta Party is running candidates in all 87 ridings this election.

Take a look at the voter compass thread.
It's not surprising how many people are aligning with the Alberta Party.
Do they have the support to form government? Nope. But they could form a strong opposition, or even better, be the swing votes in a minority government.

It may not be a full 3 way race to form government, but to say we don't have a center party to choose from isn't accurate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #3317
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Is there a relatively unbiased news source in Alberta at the moment?
I hear the James Fowler Howler is pretty balanced.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #3318
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand why they are kicking around - they should just fold and link up with the Alberta Party at this point. The Liberal brand is well and truly dead here in Alberta, plus they have been outflanked on both the left and right.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #3319
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I don't understand why they are kicking around - they should just fold and link up with the Alberta Party at this point. The Liberal brand is well and truly dead here in Alberta, plus they have been outflanked on both the left and right.
It's because for some bizarre, unknown reason, these two parties have decided to try to blow each others brains out for a rump party status. I guess it's not really unknown why, because it's all about ego, but it's been going on for like 3 elections now. Honestly, part of what makes me not want to vote for either of them is this; if they can't act pragmatically in what seems so obvious, how can I think they'll do that when in office?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #3320
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only one seat projected for Alberta Party? Is that Mandel or Fraser? Feel like Rick Fraser would still be the favourite in Calgary SE just from longevity in that community. Then there is Clark who always has a chance.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote