Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #621
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what would that look like? 6-6.5 for the RFA years and 10-10.5 for the UFA years so 8-8.5 million over 8 years or 6-6.5 over 3?

Is that 2 million worth paying 10-12 in 3 years? It could be the difference between a Brodie and a stone
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #622
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Winning heals a lot of sore feelings.

I'd love to seen an NHL franchise take the Patriots/Belichek approach. Old and fading? See ya. Want to be rewarded for past play? Not gonna happen.

Just shrewdly, rationally, and ruthlessly doing everything possible to field a winning team. No one player bigger than the team. Nothing interferes with the team and the team's future. If you don't like it, go ahead and move to a worse team for more money.

I agree but.... I don't know how correlated a professional sports team is to the average joe's workplace but it can be easier said than done to put high calibre workers getting older out to pasture. A lot of decent companies just let them work out their years gracefully until they retire even if their skills have started to slip. You might see them given less projects or responsibility. In hockey that would be akin to sliding them down to the 3rd line or 4th line and keeping them around to mentor younger players etc. I feel this plays a role at least partly in why teams don't cut bait earlier. Anyways back on topic.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #623
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Winning heals a lot of sore feelings.

I'd love to seen an NHL franchise take the Patriots/Belichek approach. Old and fading? See ya. Want to be rewarded for past play? Not gonna happen.

Just shrewdly, rationally, and ruthlessly doing everything possible to field a winning team. No one player bigger than the team. Nothing interferes with the team and the team's future. If you don't like it, go ahead and move to a worse team for more money.
Really hard to do in the NHL due to guaranteed contracts.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #624
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lots of good discussion here. Good points on both sides with the usual amount of absolutism mixed in for laughs.

I do find it strange that there is a tendency towards handing out 7 and 8 year deals. I applaud BT's work at holding the line on salary and term. There is a risk that you lose a star earlier than you would want to, but there is a lot of flexibility built in for the team and that is the GMs job at base: build a good team and maintain it. We often refer to the player betting on themselves. Shorter term contracts is the team betting on itself. Win a cup or be a perennial contender and the players will always want to play for you.

There are always exceptions, but by and large I feel most NHL GMs are their own worst enemies. 8 year RFA contracts at 10%+ of the cap seem ill advised to me in general.

Just my. 02

Last edited by blender; 01-15-2019 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Grammer
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 09:36 PM   #625
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

What a player!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 PM   #626
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

$$$$$
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #627
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Matthew this offseason:

Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #628
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, this guy is going to seriously get laid a lot! He deserves every penny too, what a beast!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #629
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

What are the realistic chances Gaudreau is still a flame in the 22-23 season?

I could be wrong but don't believe he has purchased a home in Calgary and all rumors were that he would look to go closer to home once this contract played out.

He has a modified NTC in his final year, the year he is likely traded for assets if he has indicated to the team that he does not plan on extending (would be a shame if we took the CBJ route and got nothing back for players who say they are not staying).

This has me thinking that you sign Tkachuk with the "Gio" contract limit for 19/20 and 20/21 and then it gets heavier on the back end to make up for the front end.

Gio has either retired or is playing a much reduced role in 21/22, Tkachuk is your main man. Bennett and Mony could still very much be a part of the teams long term goals. Johny is traded for some young assetts that save on cap space and you have a new core to build around.

Is it really far fetched to think that Johny is the highest paid player in the league in the 22/23 season?

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #630
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

My gut says Johnny is most likely gone in three years. I think he signs in Philly when he becomes Ufa. Things could change for sure, by his final year if we can't get him extended, I'd look to trade him for a haul.

Luckily,we would have Taylor Hall locked up longterm by then, and a couple cups, so that will soften the blow lol.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #631
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
My gut says Johnny is most likely gone in three years. I think he signs in Philly when he becomes Ufa. Things could change for sure, by his final year if we can't get him extended, I'd look to trade him for a haul.

Luckily,we would have Taylor Hall locked up longterm by then, and a couple cups, so that will soften the blow lol.

Idk why people are so convinced that he’s gonna leave, if the flames are contending and they offer him a fair contract I don’t see him leaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #632
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The group who are convinced he'll bolt when UFA time approaches are the same ones who thought he wouldn't sign as an RFA or wouldn't sign with us at all coming out of College.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #633
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Idk why people are so convinced that he’s gonna leave, if the flames are contending and they offer him a fair contract I don’t see him leaving.

I feel pretty sure he's going to leave and I'm okay with it. He's very close with his family and they are on the east coast. He's going to do what's best for himself and his family which probably isn't staying out west in Calgary for the rest of his career. Flames still get him for his prime years and it's a real shame that two years were wasted on Gulutzan hockey but at least things are now on track and there's a two year window after this season to make the most of having him on the roster and then the team has to decide if they are going to trade him at the draft or try and keep him for one more run.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #634
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post

I doubt either of these things happen. We can't afford Hall and I am not a fan so that does not bother me. Johnny won't leave, he has too many strong ties to the area and the children he does charity with. Also, if he stays in Calgary he almost assuredly will hold every single team record not by a goalie when he is done. Finally, he will probably meet some local girl and grow roots here. I could see him doing a one year deal with the Flyers at the end of his career but not before then. Unless the Flames are rebuilding in 3 years which I can't see with our young core there is no reason for him to leave. What Tavares pulled is the exception, not the rule.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #635
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He isn't leaving. People love to try and make something out of nothing. He told a Philly radio station it would have been fun to play in Philly. That is not saying he wants to play in Philly. If his end goal was to be a Flyer he could have done so by not signing his entry level deal with the Flames. He has stated multiple times he loves Calgary and he wants to play here. He isn't going anywhere unless the Flames want to trade him or don't want to pay him big money.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #636
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
He isn't leaving. People love to try and make something out of nothing. He told a Philly radio station it would have been fun to play in Philly. That is not saying he wants to play in Philly. If his end goal was to be a Flyer he could have done so by not signing his entry level deal with the Flames. He has stated multiple times he loves Calgary and he wants to play here. He isn't going anywhere unless the Flames want to trade him or don't want to pay him big money.
I mean he might, there are no guarantees either way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #637
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
I mean he might, there are no guarantees either way.
Sure, it is possible. Just highly unlikely. I think Johnny is a guy who likes to win and he wants to be the best. He can go to Philly and maybe win but he will always be a blip in their history. He has no chance to break any Flyer records. I just don't see him leaving.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #638
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It'll come down to dollars, term and chance of winning. Family will obviously play a factor too. Gaudreau could bolt but he could also stay. Anyone acting clairvoyant on the issue is a bit silly IMO.

Beyond that the issues you bring up as to why he stays are a huge reach, again, in my opinion. Team records are nice but you're probably overstating their importance. I doubt Gaudreau or anyone cares about being a blip on the radar if they're a very rich blip.

The charity thing is nice but Tavares and Hamonic had deep ties to the charities and people of Long Island but they're both gone now. That's just one of those things, he could help children in Philly or anyone else too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #639
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

2022/2023 is a long ways away. A lot can change in that time. Flames being a legit contender in the next few years will absolutely have a play in his decision. I also believe, if he finds a girl, gets married and has a kid/kids in that timeframe, that will also influence his decision. People that age these days tend to start families in that age frame so we will see what happens.
For now, let’s enjoy what he’s doing for this team, and continue to make him feel like the king of the city!
Old 03-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #640
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That and he has friends here. Not easy going to a new team that may or may not be contending by then. Sometimes when we are young we miss home but as you get older responsibilities are different.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote