Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Jets 2 Flames 1

Game Takes:
Jets 2 Flames 1

- gutsy effort by the Flames
- Smith solid
- 4 first period goal posts didn't help
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since Feb 1 the Flames have played 14 games against the upper half of the NHL

The record is 5-8-1 The likely playoff teams are playing the Flames like they are a contenders.

Gaudreau has 1 goal and 6 assists in these 14 games and is a -9

He looked good against the Jets but was basically managed by Trouba... who had Buffalos #8 D-man playing with him.

Gaudreau was the best Flame forward last night and was frustrated. His open whining (insignificant hit by Lowry) will make him a big target in the playoffs where messages are sent for the next games.

Are the Flames being out coached by teams that have the near equal talent?

The trade deadline moves lessen the Flames talent edge they had on some teams.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Gaudreau was the best Flame forward last night and was frustrated. His open whining (insignificant hit by Lowry) will make him a big target in the playoffs where messages are sent for the next games.

Are the Flames being out coached by teams that have the near equal talent?

The trade deadline moves lessen the Flames talent edge they had on some teams.
I think the team's well documented slide from their top forwards since February 1st is well documented; nothing new there.

The good news lately is the 2nd line coming out of it (against playoff bound Vegas), and the top line finding it against Jersey is good news regardless of the opposition level.

At least Gaudreau had Scheifle whining through an entire tv time out to add perspective!

I haven't thought Peters has been out coached by anyone this year. They out played the Jets badly last night despite back to backs and some last second changes to the lineup
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't think the first line struggles are random. The whole league is playing top players tighter and Johnny - both because of his size and style of play - is more adversely affected by this evolution.

That said, I think the effects will be mitigated by the playoffs because:

1) Johnny will adapt (already starting to)

2) when Johnny adapts, the second derivative will be players tightly checking him will continuously cross the line and will end up in the penalty box a lot. Additionally, the home crowd doesn't let the refs get away with as much at home in the playoffs - this will benefit Johnny greatly.

I think the losing record against top teams more random - flames have been the better team in many of those games.

On a side note, I think Janko and Ryan will be switching spots as the 3C and 4C. I also expect czarnik to exit the line-up soon, replaced by Neal.

Bennett-Ryan-Neal
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote