Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default AHS issues a measles alert for Calgary and Cochrane

First reported case in Calgary area. Make sure to get yourself vaccinated if you aren't already or have been to the below areas.

Quote:
Alberta Health Services has issued a measles alert for Calgary and Cochrane after someone carrying the virus was out in public spaces while infectious.

The warning is calling for anyone who may have encountered the person in the last two days to get a free immunization.

Laboratory testing confirmed the individual was carrying measles and visited a number of businesses and establishments over an eight-day period.

Anyone who was in the following locations on March 12 during the times indicated below and has not received any measles-containing vaccine will be offered immunization on Friday from 9:30 to 5 p.m. at Brentwood Mall AHS Immunization Clinic at 3630 Brentwood Rd. N.W.

Anyone else who may have encountered the infected person on dates earlier than March 12 should review their immunization history and contact AHS Health Link for advice or to book an appointment at their local community health centre.

AHS said “it’s imperative” that only those who could have encountered the person on March 12 attend this clinic.

March 12:

Cabela’s at 851 64 Ave. N.E. in Calgary between 12:45 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Re:Grub Deerfoot City at 5113 – 901 64 Ave. N.E. in Calgary between 1 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.
Bella Concert Hall at 4824 Mt. Royal Gate S.W., Mount Royal University, in Calgary between 7:15 p.m. to 11:45 p.m.
March 11:

Multi-business facility, 110 – 2 Ave. West in Cochrane between 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Yoshi Grill at 204 5 Avenue in Cochrane between 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Save-on-Foods at 65 Bow Street in Cochrane between 7:15 p.m. to 10 p.m.
March 8:

Rexall Pharmacy, 305 1 St. West in Cochrane between 1 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.
March 6:

Multi-business facility, 110 – 2 Ave. West in Cochrane between 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
March 5:

The Tim Hortons at 12 Westside Drive in Cochrane between 8:15 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
Multi-business facility at 110 – 2 Ave West in Cochrane between 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Cumbrian Arms Pub at 57 West Aasby Road in Cochrane between 7:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. on March 6
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...cted-residents
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moron alert for Calgary and Cochrane.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

these fools shouldn't be allowed to reproduce

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are an anti-vaxxer and you read CP, you are straight up a POS for contributing to this problem. Go ahead and try to convince me otherwise.

Odds are, there are at least a couple of you on here. So let's hear your rationale.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
these fools shouldn't be allowed to reproduce
Well....dying via the Measles ought to resolve that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
If you are an anti-vaxxer and you read CP, you are straight up a POS for contributing to this problem. Go ahead and try to convince me otherwise.

Odds are, there are at least a couple of you on here. So let's hear your rationale.
Good luck. They only talk to other morons in their bubble.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

Honestly there is very little reason not to hold climate deniers, natural/organic food advocates, religious people, flat earthers..... all in the same regard. But I think the best tact is to be charitable and ask questions.

Why do you think 10s of the thousands of doctors would lie to you?
How many people suffer vaccine injuries / what are injuries?
Did you know Wakefeilds papers and licenses were revoked?

The foundationless beliefs are routed in personal identity and virtue signalling to a perceived ingroup. Telling people they are idiots just flags you as being in the outgroup and not important to engage with. But if you listen to them and ask real questions, you might get them thinking, and thinking about any of these questions for a short period of time will chip away at their priors.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #8
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Honestly there is very little reason not to hold climate deniers, natural/organic food advocates, religious people, flat earthers..... all in the same regard. But I think the best tact is to be charitable and ask questions.

The foundationless beliefs are routed in personal identity and virtue signalling to a perceived ingroup. Telling people they are idiots just flags you as being in the outgroup and not important to engage with. But if you listen to them and ask real questions, you might get them thinking, and thinking about any of these questions for a short period of time will chip away at their priors.
Agreed 100%. Telling people they are stupid will not engage them, quite the opposite imo.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Why do you think 10s of the thousands of doctors would lie to you? Big Pharma conspiracy
How many people suffer vaccine injuries / what are injuries? You don't need to know the actual figures, Big pharma in conjunction with the Lizard people cabal and the secret but real government Fema can assure you that there are no injuries
Did you know Wakefeilds papers and licenses were revoked? Obama ordered his papers and license revoked in a attempt to silence him

Say no to harmful vaccines Let natural selection do its thing

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #10
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Maybe we don’t call them stupid. Maybe we just round them all up and let them live together someplace else, where they can’t get everyone else sick or impact our elections in any meaningful way.

Believe an invisible being snapped his fingers and created the Earth in six days?
Believe the Earth is flat?
Believe vaccines cause autism?

Great! Good for you! Let’s just put you over here with everyone else like you though, so you’re not rubbing up against us on the train or voting on anything important.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #11
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ontario has had a mandatory class for parents seeking exemptions from vaccines since 2017. The results are not particularly encouraging.

https://nationalpost.com/news/ontari...ro-conversions

They should just ban them from everything. School, sports teams, everything. You don't want to not be a risk, fine, do it somewhere else so innocent people aren't put in harm's way.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:15 PM   #12
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
They should just ban them from everything. School, sports teams, everything. You don't want to not be a risk, fine, do it somewhere else so innocent people aren't put in harm's way.
I’m beginning to think this may be the best option. Not sure we can force people to get vaccinations but we certainly should be able to restrict their activities if they do not.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:18 PM   #13
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Why do you think 10s of the thousands of doctors would lie to you? Big Pharma conspiracy
How many people suffer vaccine injuries / what are injuries? You don't need to know the actual figures, Big pharma in conjunction with the Lizard people cabal and the secret but real government Fema can assure you that there are no injuries
Did you know Wakefeilds papers and licenses were revoked? Obama ordered his papers and license revoked in a attempt to silence him

Say no to harmful vaccines Let natural selection do its thing
The point isn't to get real answers or new information. It is to understand what information they are trying too work with and get them too think about that information over and over again, hopefully adding to their priors over time.

How did this conspiracy start? What do you think it is they want?

There have in fact been vaccine injuries reported. The seem to be declining over time, because they have improved practices like removing mercury as a preservative, and storing the packaging away from the active virus in production facilities. Why do you think they let a few reports fall through the cracks, i feel like the conspiracy could have stopped these people from talking?

His papers and licenses were actually revoked in the UK by medical journals and boards. prior to Obama running for public office. Does this span multiple countries and outside of governments.?
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 PM   #14
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They should make wilfully damaging herd immunity a felony.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:00 PM   #15
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about if you don’t vaccinate your kids you don’t get to keep them? Can we make it illegal to not vaccinate? I really don’t care if it infringes on any rights or freedoms. It’s for the greater good.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:46 PM   #16
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forget about measles, idiots who don't get the flu shot GMG.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:02 AM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
The point isn't to get real answers or new information. It is to understand what information they are trying too work with and get them too think about that information over and over again, hopefully adding to their priors over time.

How did this conspiracy start? What do you think it is they want?

There have in fact been vaccine injuries reported. The seem to be declining over time, because they have improved practices like removing mercury as a preservative, and storing the packaging away from the active virus in production facilities. Why do you think they let a few reports fall through the cracks, i feel like the conspiracy could have stopped these people from talking?

His papers and licenses were actually revoked in the UK by medical journals and boards. prior to Obama running for public office. Does this span multiple countries and outside of governments.?

I was being a smart a$$ sorry.

I do find it disgusting that diseases that had been previously wiped out in Canada are making a comeback thanks to these morons. Honestly I think the parents should be charged with biological warfare charges for sending their kids into school like a biological weapon.

I was looking up measles tonight. Just to back up my disgust at these anti-vaxxers and I was stunned by this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles

Quote:
Measles affects about 20 million people a year,[3] primarily in the developing areas of Africa and Asia.[6] It is one of the leading vaccine-preventable disease causes of death.[11][12] In 1980, 2.6 million people died of it,[6] and in 1990, 545,000 died; by 2014, global vaccination programs had reduced the number of deaths from measles to 73,000.[8][13] Rates of disease and deaths, however, increased in 2017 due to a decrease in immunization.[14]

The risk of death among those infected is about 0.2%,[5] but may be up to 10% in people with malnutrition.[6] Most of those who die from the infection are less than five years old.[6] Measles is not believed to affect other animals.[6]

Frankly, I believe that if you as a parent decide to decline immunization, then you should have to sign a waiver and it bans your un-immunized child from

School
Public gatherings of any type
International travel.

Period.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 12:12 AM   #18
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can you get life insurance if you haven't been vaccinated?

There should be some lever with the health system where you can get booted out of it if you don't do a few basic things - vaccines being one of them.

Last edited by bob-loblaw; 03-16-2019 at 11:14 AM.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:51 AM   #19
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:

This is my takeaway from the Netflix doc, Beyond the Curve. Seeing the society of flat earthers, I felt sympathy and empathy for them, and one of the astro physicists who spoke said we don't reach these people with insults or mocking them.

Its so much harder though with vaccinations, because they have such serious consequences and could end up in very sick and or dead children.

But if we want to reach these people we have to engage them nicely it seems, not that it will convince all of them but every few we get back to reality is a big step in turning this tide back.

Also, it needs to be mentioned, on social media, there is an army of fake accounts and hyperactive anti-vaxxers who go to any posts and reports on vaccinations with multiple identities and flood the comments with their anti-vax tropes.

So the perception of them online is that they are far more than they really are.

This excellent podcast covers this and many other disinformation tactics, highly recommend anyone slightly interested check it out.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/145-information-war/
Old 03-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
This is my takeaway from the Netflix doc, Beyond the Curve. Seeing the society of flat earthers, I felt sympathy and empathy for them, and one of the astro physicists who spoke said we don't reach these people with insults or mocking them.

Its so much harder though with vaccinations, because they have such serious consequences and could end up in very sick and or dead children.

But if we want to reach these people we have to engage them nicely it seems, not that it will convince all of them but every few we get back to reality is a big step in turning this tide back.

Also, it needs to be mentioned, on social media, there is an army of fake accounts and hyperactive anti-vaxxers who go to any posts and reports on vaccinations with multiple identities and flood the comments with their anti-vax tropes.

So the perception of them online is that they are far more than they really are.

This excellent podcast covers this and many other disinformation tactics, highly recommend anyone slightly interested check it out.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/145-information-war/
Contrary to that though, and I dont want to go too off topic, but in the same documentary I like the interview with another scientist who was describing the difficulties involved in engaging with people who have these solidly held beliefs on little to no facts.

It makes disproving their beliefs nearly impossible because these type of people are so invested in that belief that they will find a way around the facts to arrive at their desired conclusion.

Its a 'damned if you, damned if you dont' type of scenario.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: