Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #2781
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
For me though has there been an actual credible accusation to Kenny yet? Outside of a few angry people who lost the race? Unfortunately for me and others they aren’t really credible. That’s the difference with the SNC scandal. If things come out from an RCMP investigation about Kenny then sure, things change.
There's emails now collaborating what Mann had said.
https://pressprogress.ca/kamikaze-do...-mails-reveal/

Quote:
According to one e-mail from Kenney’s campaign manager John Weissenberger sent on July 20, 2017, Mann was welcomed into Kenney’s circle of trust about a month before Mann and two family members donated $9,000 to Callaway’s campaign.

“You will be an absolutely critical member of our effort,” Weissenberger told Mann. “I would like to include you in our regular planning meetings, if that’s agreeable to you.”

“I accept your offer and humbled to be part of Jason Kenney’s team,” Mann replied.

Three months ago, Mann told StarEdmonton he attended a secret meeting to plot out the “kamikaze mission” on July 19. 2017. Mann has said Kenney, Weissenberger and Callaway attended the secret meeting and that he provided the food.

Later in August, another e-mail shows Kenney’s leadership team was ordered to make sure the “kamikaze” donor was kept in the loop on internal meetings for the remainder of the leadership race.

The e-mail, dated August 24, shows Weissenberger instructed Kenney’s scheduling manager Andrew Griffin, who is now Kenney’s executive assistant, to ensure Mann receives “updates on the weekly campaign meetings” and invitations to call-in.

“Please include (Mann) from now on,” Weissenberger wrote.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #2782
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The comparison was not like-for-like severity. I think politicians at the highest level allegedly engaging in criminal activities is serious, and not defensible, period.

If you disagree, that’s ok. But I don’t believe we should be defending any politician engaging in this type of activity, and the fact is that some people are (albeit, conveniently on one side).

I’m not voting for someone being investigated by the RCMP, nor would I find it appealing to defend them as “doing what they had to do.”

Why would you want someone who may have been involved in serious fraud to lead your province or country?
Can you imagine the outrage and frothing mouths of UCP supporters if this was the NDP being investigated? Jason Kenney would have had a press conference already.

At the end of the day, morality isn't high on the list for conservatives...it's all about cash and party colour, mortality be damned.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #2783
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
At the end of the day, morality isn't high on the list for conservatives...it's all about cash and party colour, mortality be damned.
No one ever said we'd live forever.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #2784
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
However, the UCP will tell you that if it helps them get your vote.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #2785
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #2786
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
There's emails now collaborating what Mann had said.
https://pressprogress.ca/kamikaze-do...-mails-reveal/
Thank you for this. I'm curious to see where this goes. I do recall seeing this early in the thread but it was mentioned press progress isn't the best source so I forgot.

If something does implicate Kenny things will get interesting for sure.

But there is no way I can vote for the NDP in the upcoming election. None, whatsoever.

Last edited by Weitz; 03-15-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #2787
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"
So you're saying that we should jettison the NDP clowns and go back to 'The Devil You Know.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:46 PM   #2788
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1106589494570975233
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #2789
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
I can understand if you don't like the NDP but you honestly can't believe what you just wrote right? Kenney has never done anything based on what he thought was best for anyone other than himself. I'm sure when he came out against gay marriage and abortion he was concerned about what was best for everyone.

When Kenney supported weakening the temporary foreign worker program allowing more widespread abuse of the program I'm the sure he was thinking this is the best for everyone. I bet when he wanted to drop the provision that people convicted of human trafficking could not use TFWs he was thinking this was best for everyone.

Seems to me an uneducated career politician is likely the least trustworthy person. Someone that helped the right people out along the way not someone that made the right decisions. They had a lot of choices for a good leader and they blew it.

I agree with you to an extent about what a good leader does. They also take information in and try to make a reasonable decision. That isn't Kenney.
And then i look at who thanked your post and i think, yup makes sense. Old cp liberal boys club. Pretty standard patting on the back.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #2790
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So you're saying that we should jettison the NDP clowns and go back to 'The Devil You Know.'

...Weird flex but ok
Old 03-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #2791
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Edmonton is BOOMING BRO
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #2792
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Edmonton is BOOMING BRO
You must be a hit at parties
Old 03-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #2793
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can you imagine the outrage and frothing mouths of UCP supporters if this was the NDP being investigated? Jason Kenney would have had a press conference already.

hate to break this to you, but morality isn't high on the list for politicians of any stripe. not just a conservative thing.

If things keep up, Kenney will be able to write a book called "how to lose an election that was impossible to lose"

I'm not going to vote UCP. not even as an anyone but notley vote.
I am going to seek out my local Alberta Party candidate.

wonder if kenney has a Butts ready to fall on the sword. Weissenberger maybe?

idiots. all they had to do was keep it clean and say as little as possible. shouldn't have been hard to do that.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 02:22 PM   #2794
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probable election fraud beyond the scope of the elections commissioner.

Probable interference with prosecutorial independence.

There's 'playing poltiics' and then there's ####ing with democracy and justice. Neither scandal may end up meriting criminal conviction. But that is simply a ridiculous standard to use in rationalizing a vote, or trying to defend an action.

Similarly damning, is that both cases appear to involve significant obstruction to their investigations, whether that obstruction is proven to meet the legal definition or not.

Weighing the comparative severity of the scandals is silly and stupid. Both situations merit very serious questions, and the behaviour/handling of each merits even more serious questions.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #2795
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
And then i look at who thanked your post and i think, yup makes sense. Old cp liberal boys club. Pretty standard patting on the back.
You know very little about me and what policies I'm in favour of.

Great response though. Again, vote for who you like, all I want is for reasonable people to consider the facts.

I'm so tired of team politics ignoring the fact that Kenney isn't a good leader, he isn't a good person and won't be good for this province because he's on your team is strange to me.

Everyone in this province was losing their mind over the actions Trudeau took with SNC Lavalin (I'm ok with this) but he apparently didn't do anything illegal, just incredibly unethical. Those same people turn a blind eye to Kenney doing something that's actually illegal (allegedly) stating they aren't comparable.

It's pathetic and embarrassing. Admitting that the leader of your favourite party is awful is allowed, it doesn't make you less conservative. Stop saying things about him that make little sense to try and convince people that he's a good choice.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #2796
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

why do i hate all politicians
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #2797
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Old 03-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #2798
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
hate to break this to you, but morality isn't high on the list for politicians of any stripe. not just a conservative thing.

If things keep up, Kenney will be able to write a book called "how to lose an election that was impossible to lose"

I'm not going to vote UCP. not even as an anyone but notley vote.
I am going to seek out my local Alberta Party candidate.

wonder if kenney has a Butts ready to fall on the sword. Weissenberger maybe?

idiots. all they had to do was keep it clean and say as little as possible. shouldn't have been hard to do that.
I'd venture to say that Rachel Notely has a lot of morality. I can't think of anything illegal or detrimentally shifty she's done in the definition of morality.

All she's done is try to support all Albertans - and no I'm not on the NDP payroll or connected in any way (just to head off any accusations). I've met with Minister Maranda a few times as he's in charge of Film Tax Credits, that's it.

Rachel Notely Fought Like Hell for Alberta, but the province isn't about to thank her - MacLeans

Alberta Party is interesting. If they can gain any traction I'd welcome it. There seems to be a happy medium there between fiscal and social policies, but it hasn't caught on because of extreme partisanship and party-first mentality in my mind.

The UCP is a disaster. Run by a disaster. Fed by corporate interests. They don't seem to have a plan for Alberta as much as a plan for their donors.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #2799
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

More here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tion-1.5058511

Quote:
United Conservative Party Leader Jason Kenney is shrugging off revelations that the RCMP have taken over an investigation into allegations of "irregular political contributions" to a former UCP leadership candidate with alleged connections to Kenney's leadership campaign.

But a political scientist said the timing of the growing scandal couldn't be worse for the UCP and its leader.

"It becomes a question of how much did Mr. Kenney know and when did he know It," University of Alberta political scientist Jared Wesley said Friday
Quote:
"He is kind of caught between a rock and a hard place with his response to that question," Wesley said. "Either he did know about it and he has some culpability in it, or he didn't know about it and probably should have, as a leader of the party."
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #2800
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
The UCP is a disaster. Run by a disaster. Fed by corporate interests. They don't seem to have a plan for Alberta as much as a plan for their donors.
Yet some Albertans are blindly following his message that conveys a "return" to the good times - oil is back, jobs are plentiful, salaries are best in the country, and double meat at subway. Yet the UCP has no distinct fool-proof plan to get us there; just that they aren't leftists. I also think people like argumentative individuals because our voices aren't heard in Ottawa or BC, so they see him as Klein 2.0. Looking forward to more "creeps and bums" statements that provides a release of endorphins.

Kenney could have said "rights for everyone, climate change is real and the science is proven and solutions are needed, and respect for the common man is at the core of this whole thing. Now, onto the economy". That would have been good enough. He's choosing the difficult route.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post: