Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #21
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre View Post
I remember being at his first game. I think it was vs the Islanders and he hit the post on his first shot.
Yep, I was also at that game and one of his games as a Kelowna Rocket in the playoffs of that same season.

He epitomizes what it means to be a Calgary Flame, and I absolutely love his hate for the Canucks.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #22
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre View Post
I remember being at his first game. I think it was vs the Islanders and he hit the post on his first shot.
I remember watching him play at the Macs.

Christ we're all getting old.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #23
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
This is still one of my favorite goals...

Too bad Mark Lee and his partner are so horrible at calling this goal....
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #24
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
This is still one of my favorite goals...

This was the goal that cemented which retro jersey I was buying.

It wasn't his best year, and the year after that was a stumble as well. But he was doing things like this that reminded you of what this guy had to offer. He was just learning how to become one of the best 2-way centers in the game, that was all.

That, and you could tell there was something different about games against the Canucks for him. He came to this team and absorbed all of the love and hate this team has embodied over the years, and loves being a Calgary Flame. It's fun to watch.

Last edited by Split98; 03-15-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #25
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Top plus/minus amongst forwards in the NHL now.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #26
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking forward to the "Sam Bennett, from 18 to 30" thread...

<< enters reminder in calendar for 2026 >>
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #27
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My little guy randomly chose 11 as his number for his first year in hockey. I told him that is Backlund's number and that he should watch him play, as he is so smart and so responsible. Now his favourite player (well, other than Johnny) and I couldn't be more proud. A great guy to emulate.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #28
BrennyBaller
Backup Goalie

Exp:

When the Flames made the Phaneuf trade, I was super excited about Hagman and got a Hagman #11 jersey (don't ask me why, I was 14). The following offseason, Hagman switched to #10 and Backlund got #11, so I got my jersey changed to Backlund. I sometimes wonder if I may have been the first to have a Backlund #11 jersey I then became a huge fan, and even got my grad photos taken in my Backlund jersey. We're so lucky to have a player like Backs
BrennyBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrennyBaller For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #29
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
For many years, it seemed like Backlund was the only good young forward that the Flames had in the system.
I'm glad that this one guy actually turned out to be a top 6 forward.

He was always pretty responsible defensively, but it seems like Backlund really became a top 6 player after the 13-14 lockout. For some reason, he's also been a lot more durable since then.

Plus, he's clearly an asset to the city of Calgary. I don't know if I've seen anyone who is more active in charities than Backlund. The man deserves a lot of credit.
Absolutely! Here's an article about that: https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc...defensive-game

During that lockout I had some extra money to buy a game worn jersey from FanAtticm and was deciding between Horak and Backlund because I couldn't afford the top names. Around that time Backlund was back in Sweden on a line with Berglund (St. Louis Blues) putting up well over a PPG. Sorry Horak, I made the right choice and the 2012 Backlund jersey has been in a frame over my desk ever since! I'd love to get it signed but I have no idea what to do about that.

With all the bad luck with injuries early in his career, and guys like WRUCOS piling on, I don't think I've ever cheered harder for a player to find his game and make it. He's in my top-5 favourite players of all time, for sure.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #30
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scott Cruikshank had a fun article on The Athletic today about how the roster this season came to be. Starts with a good Backlund story:

https://theathletic.com/869595/2019/...-put-together/

Quote:
Mikael Backlund, during the Calgary Flames’ annual fathers trip, took note of Keith Tkachuk.

The man is hard to miss. Big frame. Big personality. And suddenly Backlund got curious. “I knew he’d had a great career, but I was like, ‘I’ve got to look up his stats.'”

So the centreman searched Eliteprospects.com to get a fix on “Mr. Tkachuk’s” numbers. “Obviously, they’re impressive. Then I scrolled down …”

And to his astonishment, Backlund discovered that the 2007 first-round choice the Atlanta Thrashers sent to the St. Louis Blues to acquire Keith Tkachuk was eventually dealt to the Flames, who used it to select … him.

“Pretty cool,” he said. “That pick turned into me and now I play with his son.”

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #31
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Knew Backs would eventually turn into a fantastic player ever since his 2011 season. The flashes of brilliance were too hard to ignore similar to that of Gio. Gio's in 06-07 showed some serious ability and I couldn't believe Darryl couldn't find a way to get a deal done. A couple guys who took some time to eventually get there, but boy did they get there.

What a crazy underrated season Backs is having too. Just destroying his previous even strength scoring highs.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #32
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has been great seeing the development in Backlund's career so far. He definitely fits into the core with his playing style, responsibility and leadership.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #33
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I never grow tired of watching this
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #34
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

i recall a Sutter interview from the 2007 draft, how he "was interested in the two Swedish boys. Actually, Eller's a Dane and Backlund's a Swede, but we liked them both at our pick."

I was worried because Sutter said something similar in 2004, how he liked the two BC boys, Zajac and Chucko.

A year after the Backlund draft, he said something similar again, how he liked the Windsor boys, Bailey and Nemisz

Sutter never got to choose his guy, since Eller, Zajac and Bailey were all drafted before Calgary's pick, but at least he got one right, even if it was by default
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #35
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where r u Chris O’Sullivan??
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #36
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Backlund has become one of my favourite all time Flames. I remember having a huge debate with a friend about whether or not to keep Backlund or trade him. He was adamant that we should trade him as he believed he was a bust, and I debated with him until I was blue in the face that he was still developing and would eventually become a very solid player for us. Feels great to know I won that debate!
And his highlight goal against the Caps this year is probably the sickest goal I’ve seen scored in a Flames jersey
Old 03-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #37
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Where r u Chris O’Sullivan??
He probably is kicking around with a different username. Wonder what he would say about being absolutely and categorically wrong about Backlund.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #38
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is Backlund jersey retirement worthy for the Flames? Let's presume he plays another 6-8 years here, then he will be entering Iggy/Gio category in terms of tenure.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #39
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I never grow tired of watching this
Does anyone have a full highlight of this goal?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #40
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Is Backlund jersey retirement worthy for the Flames? Let's presume he plays another 6-8 years here, then he will be entering Iggy/Gio category in terms of tenure.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: