Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2019, 11:15 PM   #81
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Tocchet and Peters are both leading non-playoff teams last year to playoff berths this year... difference is, one is a WC team, while one has the best points-percentage in the West.

I can't see a top-3 that isn't Cooper, Trotz, and Peters. Tocchet has had a great run, but he doesn't beat out Bill.

you'll have to forgive me for being maybe a tad overexcited... I've been a Coyotes fan since I was a young kid and it's always cool to see them in the hunt. they aren't the Flames but they're easily my #2
Now it makes sense...I didn't realize you were posting with your heart on
Old 03-14-2019, 11:17 PM   #82
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Now it makes sense...I didn't realize you were posting with your heart on
I won't bother to try and hide my rose-coloured glasses... ever since the Balsille relocation rumours started I began to root for them and I started watching all their games last year. Always loved an underdog story

but I would clamour for the Flames to destroy them if they played in the first round

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #83
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Coyotes have no real star forwards but they have some of the best depth in the entire NHL, IMO -- all the best teams have good depth but the Coyotes are depth

Keller
Stepan
Galchenyuk
Schmaltz
Hinostroza
Dvorak
Grabner
Garland
Panik
Richardson
Crouse
Fischer
Archibald

Literally all of those forwards could finish this season with 15+ goals (except Schmaltz, who likely would've hit it if he hadn't been hurt). That also doesn't mention Nick Cousins, who had 12 goals last year (he has 6 this year but is shooting under 5%).

That's nuts.
They are playing well, but lets not get carried away here. Most of those players would be bottom guys at best on most teams, and a lot of them are playing a bit over their heads. I woukd say their depth is mediocre at best.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:19 PM   #84
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
I think cooper and trotz have a better case than Peters and tocchett.

What Tampa has done this year has been remarkable. Shouldn’t discredit a coach of the year because he has a good team. He has taken a good team and made them so much better than anyone else in the league.

Tampa is 18 points up on the second place team in the league. Teams 2 thru 17 are separated by the same amount. That’s ridiculous.

Cooper for Jack Adams. Trotz the runner up. Peters or tocchett in third place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I was totally wrong about Peters as he has blown my expectations out of the water, however I don't even thinks he makes top 3 with Cooper, Trotz and Tocchet.
Mea Culpa - Flames bias for sure...

but Calgary was 2nd overall...and is currently 3rd/4th... that's impressive for a team that couldn't even make the playoffs last year.

i neglected to put Trotz on the top of the list, and really, a lot of folks had Trotz and Peters at the top for long stretches this year for the Jack Adams...Cooper is an interesting question though as TB has had a great roster for years and has been good for years - i think he gets overlooked due to the talent on that roster, unfairly.

Tocchet is the proverbial darkhorse making a late run in the stretch...

If i had a vote, assuming AZ makes it in, I would have Trotz, Tocchet, Peters and Cooper.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:21 PM   #85
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tocchet and Peters are both leading non-playoff teams last year to playoff berths this year... difference is, one is a WC team, while one has the best points-percentage in the West.

I can't see a top-3 that isn't Cooper, Trotz, and Peters. Tocchet has had a great run, but he doesn't beat out Bill.

you'll have to forgive me for being maybe a tad overexcited... I've been a Coyotes fan since I was a young kid and it's always cool to see them in the hunt. they aren't the Flames but they're easily my #2
Good point, I guess it comes down to what is better, bringing a perennial basement team to the playoffs while overcoming many man games lost, or a team that was on the bubble to tops in the west. I'd like to see Bill get the top 3 nod as he deserves it, but Cooper and Trotz are locks, and with Tampa poised to break records, it's Coopers to lose.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:24 PM   #86
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plenty of people picked Tampa 1st overall...I don't know that anyone picked Calgary 2nd overall

IF the Flames finish 2nd overall Peters better be top 3
Old 03-14-2019, 11:29 PM   #87
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arizona reminds me of Nashville 5 years ago. A bunch of decent forwards playing as a unit. A stud or 2 on defence. And great goaltending. If they make the playoffs this could be a leaping of point for the franchise. Just need to land a big fish or two in the coming years. Tell me a Marner wouldn’t look good in that uniform? Offer sheet anyone?
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:31 PM   #88
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brindamour should be getting some kudos for what he has done. It’s a little bizarre how Hurricanes are better than last year when you look at what’s happened here.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:34 PM   #89
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
They are playing well, but lets not get carried away here. Most of those players would be bottom guys at best on most teams, and a lot of them are playing a bit over their heads. I woukd say their depth is mediocre at best.
Well, if you say their top-6 is Keller, Schmaltz, Stepan, Galchenyuk, Dvorak, and Grabner (and I'd say those first four guys are definitely top-6 forwards with the last two more as middle-6 guys but with Dvorak definitely having the potential to be a top-6 guy), then you have these guys afterward, many of whom I think have the potential to grow as players:

Christian Fischer: 32nd overall pick in 2015. 15 goals and 33 points last year. 11 goals and 18 points this year, struggled to find a role under Tocchet, but he's 21 and has a heck of a shot. I think he could become a shoot-first top-6 forward in the future and as it is he's a pretty good third-liner.

Brad Richardson: heart-and-soul player who can basically do anything. This year he's even become a scorer, leading the team with 16 goals. Excellent faceoff man, too. He's really thrived under Tocchet to become a great middle-6 centre.

Vinnie Hinostroza: he's really surprised me with his play down low. He's a small guy but he's incredibly feisty. Reminds me in some ways of Derek Ryan, but with more offensive flair. Already has 15 goals and 34 points in 61 games and is just 24. Like his potential to be a top-6 forward.

Conor Garland: started off hot, has cooled down a bit but still has 12 goals in 39 games. Good skater and really solid along the boards. Probably not a top-6 guy in the future but as of right now he's a really solid bottom-sixer.

Richard Panik: reminds me a lot of Michael Frolik. Has terrific chemistry with Hinostroza and Richardson. Terrific PKer with an excellent shot who's producing rather well this year. An ideal third-liner.

Lawson Crouse: reminds me a lot of a young Micheal Ferland. Terrific shot, incredibly physical, and he's shown this year he can play a regular shift at the NHL level. He's only 21 and I think he can easily become a great complimentary player in a top-6 in the future.

That's a really good bottom-6, honestly. What the Coyotes need is another top-6 forward who plays their system. Strome wasn't a good fit -- he isn't fast and he doesn't really play along the boards. Perlini wasn't growing as a player in Arizona (and I'm not convinced that his goal-scoring lately is anything more than just a hot streak). Domi... well, that trade is looking like a loss, although Galchenyuk has made great contributions of his own to the Coyotes' powerplay this year. His one-timer is an absolute bullet.

I think Barrett Hayton is a guy to watch for Arizona. Top-5 pick from last year, and he's a real dynamic guy down the middle who I think could be a game-changer for this Yotes team in the near future. I like the idea of this setup going forward:

Keller - Schmaltz - Galchenyuk
Dvorak - Hayton - Grabner
Garland - Stepan - Fischer
Panik - Richardson - Hinostroza
Cousins/Crouse

Ekman-Larsson - Demers
Hjalmarsson - Goligoski
Chychrun - Joseph
Oesterle

Raanta
Kuemper

That could be a contender in the future.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:35 PM   #90
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Plenty of people picked Tampa 1st overall...I don't know that anyone picked Calgary 2nd overall

IF the Flames finish 2nd overall Peters better be top 3
But don't you think this is the problem with the Jack Adams?

It should be measured based on whichever team is the best-coached.

How do we evaluate which team was the best coach? Well, one way is to see if the team met or exceeded projected expectations.
However, I think that should just be one factor to consider among many.

Was Tampa projected to finish first? Yes, but 115 points and 130 points aren't exactly the same thing. It's a lot to exceed projections with better teams.

But with all that said, I do think Peters should be top 3. However, I think Peters should probably behind Trotz and Cooper. Trotz should win.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 03-15-2019 at 03:20 AM.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:08 AM   #91
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Hinostroza was molded in the Andrew Shaw fearless pest role in Chicago... Schmaltz kept deferring to more established guys, and perhaps, will be better on a team with less "established" stars....

As far as the Adams...Trotz was overdue, years ago, dragging an budget Preds team to the playoffs year, after year, I don't doubt that he gets the "lifetime achievement" votes from the media guys that vote for this award, this time.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:13 AM   #92
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final scores
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/news/NHL-R...ate=03-14-2019
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/sco...p?day=20190314

The Senators dressed two rookies and it paid off Nilsson gets the SHUTOUT stopping all 35 shots. The loss kind of eliminates the slim chances the Blues had on catching the Predators and Jets.

The Penguins had their serious game face on and smacked the Sabres 5-0. Casey DeSmith gets the SHUTOUT as he made 26 saves. Kessel and Crosby each had 2 points and the win puts the Penguins 6 points up on the 9th place Habs. The Sabres have been shutout in the past 3 games.

The Islanders come up big in the clutch as Lee scored the GWG with just under 3 minutes left in reg time. The Isles are 8 points up on the 9th place Habs.

The Stars are starting to shine as they won 4-1 over the Wild. Bishop was trying to go for his 4th straight shutout but had to leave in the 2nd period because of a lower body injury. His shutout streak in minutes will continue as Khudobin was in net when the Wild scored their only goal. The Wild are now 3 points back of the 8th place Coyotes.

The Ducks are not roadrunners. The Coyotes killed them with great goaltending and special teams.

Last edited by Tsawwassen; 03-15-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:16 AM   #93
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Coyotes, they certainly have been on an amazing run.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 06:36 AM   #94
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Panthers are going to fall asleep with this 1030 eastern start.
The night was young and the Panthers were on the prowl! Way to go Panthers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post: