Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 03-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #141
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

MPs vote to delay Brexit, no news on if a second referendum happens yet or not.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #142
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47576813

Quote:
MPs vote by a majority of 211 to seek delay to EU departure
Quote:
MPs earlier rejected an attempt to secure another Brexit referendum by 334 votes to 85.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #143
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
MPs vote to delay Brexit, no news on if a second referendum happens yet or not.
It's not up to them if I understand correctly. The EU can decide to grant an extension or not, they are the ones who will decide.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #144
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
MPs earlier rejected an attempt to secure another Brexit referendum by 334 votes to 85.
I find that incredibly baffling. They have left themselves with no choice BUT to have another referendum. I'd love to hear what the plan any of these MP's has is, because they seem to reject common sense at every turn.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #145
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the EU isn't going to extend the deadline unless there is another referendum right? It seems like the leaders in Britain still don't understand what they have gotten themselves into.

Also, if they do have a 2nd referendum how do they even decide what the questions are? Is it no deal vs no Brexit? May's deal vs no Brexit? No deal vs May's deal vs no Brexit? What happens in the last case if stay wins with less than 50% of the vote? Once again, what a mess!
Old 03-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #146
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

THe majority of Labour MPs did not vote at all for a second referendum... 201 of them.
Labour needs a lot more conservative defectors to vote for another referendum and it looks like they are still trying to round up the votes? Another 30 or so would MPs going for a second referendum would do it.

It looks like it's Corbyn's strategy to make the process as painful and deadlocked as possible before offering up the second referendum as a way to break the deadlock.

Last edited by FlameOn; 03-14-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #147
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I find that incredibly baffling. They have left themselves with no choice BUT to have another referendum. I'd love to hear what the plan any of these MP's has is, because they seem to reject common sense at every turn.
One of the problems is the Brexit divide runs right through the middle of both parties. And while Conservative MPs don't want to break ranks with the party, half of Labour MPs represent constituencies that voted Leave. Corbyn, old-school Red that he is, almost certainly wants the UK out of the EU - he just wants the Conservatives to own the mess.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #148
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the EU has offered a short extension, like May or something.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #149
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Yeah the EU isn't going to extend the deadline unless there is another referendum right? It seems like the leaders in Britain still don't understand what they have gotten themselves into.

Also, if they do have a 2nd referendum how do they even decide what the questions are? Is it no deal vs no Brexit? May's deal vs no Brexit? No deal vs May's deal vs no Brexit? What happens in the last case if stay wins with less than 50% of the vote? Once again, what a mess!
Apparently, the EU is not in favour of another referendum. Why? that actually I am not sure of.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #150
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

I'm certain they're intensively immersed in introspection......in their Italian villas.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #151
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

fata

Last edited by FlameOn; 03-14-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:01 PM   #152
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
For the relatively uninitiated, what do the no-voters in the Parliament who voted down the previous Brexit deals want exactly?

It seems like they are otherwise unappeasable, and there is a lot of time and effort being put in to coming up with a solution that doesn't seem to get any traction within Parliament. I feel like if I was Theresa May at this moment, I would say "screw this, I am out, you figure out what you want".
It sounds like Labour wants an election and the far right conservatives want a hard Brexit.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:59 PM   #153
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like a couple of the other EU nations are preparing their citizens and businesses for a brexit no-deal.

https://www.gouvernement.fr/en/franc...no-deal-brexit

https://guichet.public.lu/en/support...exit-deal.html

The Luxembourg one is amusing because it almost plays like a “choose your own adventure book”.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #154
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Lets say you have another referendum and its close but 56 say stay in EU and 44 say leave.

You are going to have an absolute mess of a Country on your hands. Probably riots and protests and all sorts of things.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #155
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You are going to have an absolute mess of a Country on your hands. Probably riots and protests and all sorts of things.

You say this like you're not going to have it anyway.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #156
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Hard to imagine a 56-44 stay vote would result in more protests and riots than a 52-48 leave vote did. A 12 point margin of victory would be significant.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #157
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
For the relatively uninitiated, what do the no-voters in the Parliament who voted down the previous Brexit deals want exactly?

It seems like they are otherwise unappeasable, and there is a lot of time and effort being put in to coming up with a solution that doesn't seem to get any traction within Parliament. I feel like if I was Theresa May at this moment, I would say "screw this, I am out, you figure out what you want".
The problem for the UK is that Brexit offers no economic upside under any circumstances what so ever and the potential for catastrophic damage, it is the equivalent of Canada tearing up NAFTA and telling the US to go pound salt in the hopes we can make up the massive loss of trade with US by selling maple syrup to the EU. No one wants to be seen as responsible for the massive pain whichever Brexit happens causes, they are all positioning themselves to be able to say 'I never supported this and if I'd been in charge it would have gone much better'

Any and every reasonably bright person involved knows this, the major pro Brexit financial backers have all moved their assets out of the UK and it looks increasingly clear their plan was to short the pound and make money out of the chaos, in fact the father of Jacob Rees Moog literally published a book in the 70's on how to make money from a massive economic crash and is considered the father of British disaster capitalism.

Farage and Johnson, the two politicians that led the campaign only ever saw Brexit as a vehicle for their own political advancement, Johnson didn't decide to back Brexit until the night before the vote, he had written editorials, one in favour of the EU one against and at the eleventh hour decided he had a better chance of gaining power within the Conservatives by leading the anti EU forces he assumed would be left after the vote had failed, he was never particularly known as anti EU before.
Nigel Farage had tried desperately to get into the Conservative Party in the 90's but was far too middle class and not particularly successful and I suspect his whole political ideology has more to do with his resentment of the true posh boys from Eton at the top who looked down on him than the EU where he has happily lived with his German wife and then french girlfriend, his kids have all applied for German Citizenship in order to retain the benefits of EU membership.

Brexit is literally a political movement led by leaders who have no belief in the movement themselves who are all trying to distance themselves from the reality of Brexit

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 03-15-2019 at 10:11 AM.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #158
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Massive anti-Brexit protests in London today.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1109502078005714945
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #159
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Lets say you have another referendum and its close but 56 say stay in EU and 44 say leave.

If the UK leaves the EU, it will be an absolute mess.

The outcome those that voted to leave wanted, simply does not exist.

It is a pure fiction based on lies and misinformation on what was possible.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 11:26 PM   #160
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the hell is going on in Britain today? Parliament just took control of Brexit away from the government! I had no idea that was even a possibility.