Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #61
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

we got a new car about 6 years ago. test drove the Nissan, comparing the specs apples to apples with brands like honda, kia, ford, mazda... it was not the most expensive (i think that was mazda) but it was the top half, and frankly it just felt cheap when driving it. By the time we left the parking lot we weren't even considering it.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #62
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
we got a new car about 6 years ago. test drove the Nissan, comparing the specs apples to apples with brands like honda, kia, ford, mazda... it was not the most expensive (i think that was mazda) but it was the top half, and frankly it just felt cheap when driving it. By the time we left the parking lot we weren't even considering it.
You can even get that within the same car brand. At this time I don’t see why one would buy an accord over a touring edition civic unless you really really needed that bit of leg room. The civic is just a nicer car inside and out. As an example...
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #63
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone else mentioned, Nissan think both their brands are above Hyundai, but they're actually lagging behind in almost every respect, including price.

I'd say Nissan and Mazda are probably 2 of the last automakers I'd consider.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 09:18 PM   #64
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
You're simply wrong. This is like saying the GTR TE and FType SVR are competitors, or worse, a Porsche 718S and a Dodge Demon. This just isn't reality when it comes to performance cars.
That kind of cross shopping may not be your idea of how an enthusiast shops and you'd be wrong. I like experiencing tons of different brands. I've owned more different cars from more different brands than anyone I know. I do know a lot of car people like me that cycle through tons of cars just to experience everything there is out there, though.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #65
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that I think about it, right now I don't think there's a brand that interests me any less than Nissan/Infiniti. I LOVED my G37 but if I was in that market again I'd be looking at the Audi
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 10:03 PM   #66
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
I was a huge fan of the Infiniti G series and had a sedan and coupe. For me, just great value and I had no mechanical issues with either vehicle. When I decided to upgrade, I checked out the new version of the G and I was quite surprised at some of the features that were lacking. I think this was in 2015, but none of the models of Q series sedan had blind spot monitoring. I found the interior was still nice, but it just felt like it was lacking something. Funny enough, my sister drives my “dream attainable car” a 2017 QX60S coupe and I couldn’t believe how the interior and displays were almost exactly the same as my 2009 version. There’s something to be said for the familiarity, but it does definitely feel dated.

I recently rented a newer Altima and I’m surprised at some of the comments in here saying that the vehicle is lacking in its class. To me, nothing really stood out as amazing, but it just felt and drove like a solid car with the same features that almost all new cars have.
The Q50/60 is really dated on many fronts, namely amenities. The dual screen layout is drab and the graphics of the nav. system are truly archaic. No ventilated front seats, no heated rear seats are gross omissions on a car of this price point as are the safety features you mention. The interior quality is still exceptional IMO. The VR30DDTT is a wonderful engine, particularly in 400HP guise, that's what should be in the 370Z. Nissan has offered incredible incentives on the Q50 line in August the past couple of years, you could get a 50 Red Sport for just under $50K! I suspect they will do it again this year. At $63K, it is a big no thanks.

The G series were great with the VQ and the optional 6-speed manual transmission in either sedan or coupe.

The QX30 has just been discontinued leaving just the QX50/60/80 and the Q50/60 in their lineup. The QX50 is overpriced and has an overtly complicated variable compression engine seemingly for the sake of being complicated. It gets no better gas mileage than its competitors. I would rather have a new RDX.

The new Altima looks like it could be a winner, also available with AWD which its main competitors lack. Trouble is sedan sales are dwindling for all manufacturer's.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:22 PM   #67
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
You can even get that within the same car brand. At this time I don’t see why one would buy an accord over a touring edition civic unless you really really needed that bit of leg room. The civic is just a nicer car inside and out. As an example...
Civic/Accord - totally different class of vehicles. The Accord has a way nicer interior, way more room front/back/trunk, more amenities, it's a bonafide mid-sizer. The 1.5T has had oil/gas dilution issues which is all you get in the Civic (sans Type R) but optional in the Accord. The 2.0L in Accord Sport/Touring trims is a great engine. I would not have an Accord without the 2.0L, which also gets you the real good 10-speed automatic and not the frumpy CVT that comes with the 1.5T. Not sure how you can say the Civic is a nicer car inside and out
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:29 PM   #68
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Renault ruined Nissan.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #69
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

I own a 2005 350Z, which I bought new when I was going through my mid-life crisis (first and only Nissan product I ever owned). Quality wise, it is very comparable to my Toyota although I would rate Toyota over the Nissan. Anyway, I still have the vehicle but hardly ever drive it. It is in mint condition. It's a nice car, but by today's standards, it's not as "techy" as the new vehicles. It's a fun car to drive. Anyway, I'm just going to hang on to it.

Last edited by Shin Pad; 03-14-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 02:35 AM   #70
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

This reminds me of Camaro/Mustang vs M3 debates back in the day,
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 07:05 AM   #71
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nissan largely builds the junk appliances now. Almost everything they offer comes with a CVT transmission, their interiors are crap, dated engine technology (except for the VC-T variable compression engine which flopped). The only thing they have going for them is that SUV's are selling well and that's the only thing they can do somewhat competitively otherwise they could vanish in thin air and nobody would notice.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 07:13 AM   #72
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I saw one of these in the flesh the other day and really like it, a good looking vehicle, IMO.

I had a 2003 Maxima SE, 6 speed. That car was great fun to drive and tonnes of power.

I haven't owned a Nissan in years. If the brand is in decline that is too bad.

I still think this is a beautiful vehicle:

you are not wrong, the old 240Z is an absolute gem. would love one. never been a fan of the new Z's styling
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:30 AM   #73
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nissan is the Japanese version of Dodge/Chrysler.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #74
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

So what this thread is really saying, is sweat pants = Nissan, sweat pants with good shoes = Infinity therefore E/N/I=NG. Is my logic sound here?
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #75
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
But you're comparing a 2016 civic which is giant now, to a 2013 Accord. Wait for the 2020 refresh and compare again
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #76
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
Based on your description and colour, it was the Z32 300ZX that your Dad owned. The Z32 (1990-96 NA production) is still one of the most revered Sports Cars of the 1990's. It was on C&D's 10 best list every year it was produced along with every pretty much every other magazines 'best list'. The 4 speed automatic is woeful, good reason it sat unsold at Brasso for so long until your Dad bought it. Why did your Dad not get a 5 Speed?

My gripe with current Nissan/Infiniti is the broad use of CVT's and the rather uninspiring dynamics on many of their platforms. The QX80 is essentially a Patrol which is an awesome 4 wheeler. I would still dig a new 370Z NISMO or R35 GT-R. The Q50RS is still great fun, although in need of a re-fresh however.
I think he liked getting a new car that was a couple years old, plus his wife preferred automatics, which he humoured for a couple of cars. I have been reading about the love for Z cars my whole life and have never quite felt it. I looked up my dad's 300zx and the 0-60 is 7.8 - 8.3 seconds depending on the source, which isn't fast now and wasn't then, either. I am surprised people would say they handle well - his certainly didn't. Part of that could be the transmission again, though. If you can't power out of a corner, you lose some confidence, so you basically have to come in hot (and in the wrong gear) if you're going to corner it, and that isn't as fun as coming in perfectly controlled and then powering out of it.

A stick would have improved that a lot. At the time, I had a '91 GMC stepside truck with a 350 in it (looked almost exactly like bcchris's truck) and it was faster and sounded better than this supposed sports car, which made cramming myself into it kind of pointless and unfun except for the T-top, which can keep you entertained for a bit.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #77
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The original s30 Z was probably 8+ seconds zero to sixty and is an amazingly fun car. They're momentum cars - canyon drivers more than anything. It feels like driving a go-kart. If you want them to go fast it's pretty easy to boost the HP, but also pretty unnecessary.

If you like off the line acceleration and pull, that's fine, get some American muscle, but that's sort of the point about different driving experiences. I'll drive an S30 all day every day before I'd want to own a Hellcat.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #78
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Nissan is the Japanese version of Dodge/Chrysler.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #79
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The original s30 Z was probably 8+ seconds zero to sixty and is an amazingly fun car. They're momentum cars - canyon drivers more than anything. It feels like driving a go-kart. If you want them to go fast it's pretty easy to boost the HP, but also pretty unnecessary.

If you like off the line acceleration and pull, that's fine, get some American muscle, but that's sort of the point about different driving experiences. I'll drive an S30 all day every day before I'd want to own a Hellcat.
My experience driving it was not go-kartish, but if you enjoy driving them that's great. But, yeah, I like acceleration and pull. I love go-kart handling as well, hence my owning a Cooper S. I specifically bought it for the go-kart handling, in fact. It's not a rocket, but it is fun to drive. That's all it has going for it because it's certainly not practical in any way.

I wouldn't want to own a Hellcat, either, but there are dozens of cars I'd put ahead of an S30, although I definitely like how they look. I'm just not a fan of old, unsafe, slow cars in general, no matter who makes them.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #80
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Mazda apparently does. I rode in a new 2019 Mazda 3 and was blown away by how good the interior was. You can get one fully loaded for under 30k with AWD, which is probably going to be what my next car purchase is

What's really sad is that Mazda is doing everything the right way but not getting rewarded with sales. I feel they won't survive the next decade on their own and a larger manufacturer will probably have to become a majority shareholder, meanwhile Nissan keeps rolling with their vastly inferior products. Life isn't always fair I guess.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nissan