Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #21
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Newy played as many seasons here as Lanny and Vernon. About a half season less than Kipper.
Touche. Bad oversimplification on my part. But, Nieuwendyk wasn't the face of the franchise like Lanny and the way he left also put him down for me. He was pretty much the perfect candidate for the FaF concept though.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #22
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
I hate 'Forever a Flame'...at the same time there needs to be tiers of recognition.

Lanny and Iggy are the only two that deserve to be retired IMO
2, 14, 25, 30 and 34 all deserve some sort of recognition, but cheezy banners isn't it. Neither is a full blown retirement. Just put something in the concourse for the lower tier players.

A franchise with one cup shouldn't have 5-6 retired numbers. The optics are Edmonton levels of embarrassing
/thread.

Great take. Jersey retirement should be reserved for the true "face of the franchise" guys.

While I get Vernon may not be on that level, I do think he warrants retirement.

1. Play Minor Hockey for the Calgary Royals
2. Playing AJHL for the Canucks
3. Played WHL for the Wranglers
4. Played Pro for the Calgary Flames and won a cup.

If you were a born and bred Calgarian this would literally be your hockey dream. I'm ok with honouring for what he has done for "Calgary hockey".
Old 03-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #23
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
about time. Retire 34 while you're at it, thanks.
14 first. It is already a black mark on the organization it isn't already up there. Retiring 34 before 14 is a joke.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #24
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #25
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hate 'Forever a Flame'...at the same time there needs to be tiers of recognition.

2, 14, 25, 30 and 34 all deserve some sort of recognition, but cheezy banners isn't it. Neither is a full blown retirement. Just put something in the concourse for the lower tier players.

A franchise with one cup shouldn't have 5-6 retired numbers. The optics are Edmonton levels of embarrassing
Why 9? Seriously, how was Lanny more important to the Flames than Theo or MacInnis? He wasn't.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #26
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Why 9? Seriously, how was Lanny more important to the Flames than Theo or MacInnis? He wasn't.
Also... Al MacInnis. He's Al goddamn MacInnis. Retire his jersey. You're never going to have a better #2. Nobody's worn it since Commodore anyway. Ditto 14. If you weren't going to give it to Johnny, you're not giving it to anyone. Nobody's worn 14 since. Retire the damn number.

We can't make players choose from a pool of 95 numbers?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Also... Al MacInnis. He's Al goddamn MacInnis. Retire his jersey. You're never going to have a better #2. Nobody's worn it since Commodore anyway. Ditto 14. If you weren't going to give it to Johnny, you're not giving it to anyone. Nobody's worn 14 since. Retire the damn number.

We can't make players choose from a pool of 95 numbers?
I agree both should be retired. I think with Al, the issue was a little bit that he went on to play a big role on another team, including in management, unlike Iginla or Lanny. With Theo, I still have the suspicion that he's either done something off camera that bugged them a lot, or that he is insisting on things for the ceremony that are not what they want to do (like pay him or something). I have zero evidence of this, but Theo has gone from one thing to another so much that I think he's a bit hard up for cash and without the skills to make a bunch.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #28
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed -- though 'Edmonton level of embarassing' defines Sabres reality these days, it still bugs me they have so many numbers retired when they should really have like 2 or 3.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #29
CN10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think the FaF came from the fact that 2 & 25 moved on to play significant roles for other franchises. The Flames wanted to honor them, but because their careers had significance to other franchises as well I believe they didn't want to be a part of players with numbers retired by multiple teams.

I also think 9 and 30 are up there due just as much to their involvement in the community as for their on-ice achievements with the franchise. Perhaps this is why we are still waiting on 14 & 34 to get their numbers retired.

Anyway, the FaF thing was kind of strange from the get-go. Either you want to retire the number or you don't, and I'm glad the Flames are finally leaning that way as well.
CN10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #30
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole jersey retirement is a funny concept. It's 100% arbitrary and up to the franchise to decide the parameters, yet fans naturally have their own criteria.

I think for our franchise, with its age and fairly mild success with one championship in 39 years - 3 retired numbers seems about right.

If we go and retire #25, #2, #14, #34 as some have expressed, then we are looking at 7 numbers retired and in all honestly, should our franchise have 7 numbers retired? At some point it would start to feel smug, and a little bit Oiler-ish.

These are all great players but it starts to feel a little bit boastful, to me.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #31
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forever a Flame is a fine idea if it's something like a concourse feature. A wall section with names or plagues with achievements and tenure.

Hanging a number for it was always a dumb idea since that's an actual thing already which has much more meaning. It diminishes the actual retirements when there's a bunch of other numbers hanging up there.

Retire 2, retire 34. Just don't expect Kipper to show up for his number retirement.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #32
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Convert 2 & 25 to regular banners then call it a day.

Until this group wins a cup. Then retire 13, 23, 28, 19, 5...
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #33
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I agree both should be retired. I think with Al, the issue was a little bit that he went on to play a big role on another team, including in management, unlike Iginla or Lanny. With Theo, I still have the suspicion that he's either done something off camera that bugged them a lot, or that he is insisting on things for the ceremony that are not what they want to do (like pay him or something). I have zero evidence of this, but Theo has gone from one thing to another so much that I think he's a bit hard up for cash and without the skills to make a bunch.
Both things seem petty. If MacInnis and Nieuwendyk went on to do other things with other teams, fine. That's life. They still gave you some of their best years and got your organization to the top of the mountain, and they had to do it against the Gretzky Oilers.

Retire their numbers.

Theo, look. Everyone knows what Theo's deal is. Everyone knows the obstacles he's overcome. You take the good with the bad. Say 'we're retiring your number on November 14th, be here by 4:30'. Fleury makes his money as a public speaker now, and from what I've heard in interviews, doesn't seem financially strapped.

Again, for 2 and 14, they're already basically retired. Nobody wears them, nobody would. Unlike 25, which apparently goes to any scrub who needs a shirt. Whatever you want to say about Nieuwendyk, he did get you Iginla. So if you're going to honor him anyway, just take 25 out of circulation.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 03-13-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #34
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If the Flames retire 2, 9, 12, 25 and 30, all those players are in the Hockey Hall of Fame except Vernon who I think should be and will be eventually but probably further down the road and Iginla who will be a first ballot when eligible.

That should really be the criteria for jersey retirement moving forward:

(a) Did the player play a significant number of games for the Flames?
(b) Is he or will he be in the Hockey Hall of Fame?

For other players, they should do a Flames Hall of Fame like the Jets do. You could put a bunch of players in there like Regehr, Reinhart, Nilsson, etc.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #35
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not sure a franchise that has won one Cup in its first 45 years needs to have that many retired numbers. Detroit has won 11 Cups in 91 seasons and only has 7 retired numbers. New Jersey only has 5 retired numbers. The Penguins have two retired numbers. One is Lemieux and the other, Briere, was killed in a car crash after playing one season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #36
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Officially retire 2, 25 and 34.

Add 14 to Forever a Flame. BURN!!
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #37
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Forever A Flame taking a 'step back' from any affiliation with the organization whatsoever.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #38
Huntsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I agree 2 and 25 first for sure. Then 34 and 14. That would be 7 total. Make is so numbers may be worn at some point. There are a few others but these 5 additions are no brainers..
Huntsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #39
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

what optics?

Except for Al Hamilton, Edmonton has only retired numbers of players who are in the Hockey Hall of Fame. so the Edmonton comparison isn't really valid in this case.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #40
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Imagine having Mike Vernon come out to give the speech and banner raising for Al MacInnis... then Lanny McDonald doing the same for fellow captain Joe Nieuwendyk... and for the Grand finale Jarome Iginla giving the accolades to Theo Fleury!

Raise all three new banners together.

2 9 12 14 25 30
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote