Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #501
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Halfway through Buster Scruggs and I can’t decide if I love it or hate it but it’s definitely one of those two.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #502
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Halfway through Buster Scruggs and I can’t decide if I love it or hate it but it’s definitely one of those two.

somewhat my reaction as well
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #503
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Catching up on some Oscar films over the last week. Two more that I heartily recommend:

Spiderman-Into the Spiderverse: First and foremost, I loved the artistic style of this film. There was an intentional comic-book style to it most notably with the pixelated shading used throughout and also the text boxes, but there were a wide variety of styles including some very precise work on the characters. The background/foreground being slightly out of focus was a nice subtle touch. The story seemed to have significant gravitas and yet still maintained a light comic-book style story. The action sequences were fun and exciting. There was just enough comedy to keep me chuckling throughout. A thoroughly interesting and well rounded film, good enough to keep my wife (who is thoroughly burnt out on superhero films) happy and entertained. 9/10

Free Solo: I don't want to give too much away, but this was more interesting for me as a study of an extreme personality than it was about the climb itself, which should be enough for any film. I found Alex to be highly articulate and intelligent, but also illogical and foolish. It's clear that his brain simply doesn't work like the rest of ours, and I'm sure that his parents did plenty to turn him into the obsessive person that he is today. I don't want to say too much about his relationship with his girlfriend, but I'm pretty sure he's doomed to live a solitary and relatively short life. I highly recommend it for the interesting subject and subject matter, the death-defying physical feats, but also simply for the camera work. The crew deserved their Oscar for the ability to shoot it alone. A thoroughly enthralling piece of work. 9/10
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #504
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched Galveston on Netflix. Though it progressed slowly at times, it worked really well. Good story and good acting. One of the best movies I've seen this year actually as it wasn't full of plot holes like most flicks.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #505
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man is Suspiria ever a weird and strange movie. I enjoyed it but it's not for everyone as it's pretty long for a horror movie, hard to follow at times, but one of those films I just couldn't take my eye off. The ending is bizarre, gory, and unforgettable that I had to dash to the computer to ensure I properly understood what transpired. If you have patience to follow the story line and a tolerance for blood it's a unique experience for sure.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #506
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Man is Suspiria ever a weird and strange movie. I enjoyed it but it's not for everyone as it's pretty long for a horror movie, hard to follow at times, but one of those films I just couldn't take my eye off. The ending is bizarre, gory, and unforgettable that I had to dash to the computer to ensure I properly understood what transpired. If you have patience to follow the story line and a tolerance for blood it's a unique experience for sure.
Was my 2nd favorite horror film of last year. It's amazing that this film wasn't nominated for best hair and make up considering Tilda Swinton played an old man.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #507
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm still torn on Creed 2 and whether I liked it or not.

I liked the casting of Victor Drago, and the return of Ivan Drago as the bitter loser from Rocky IV. But the pacing in this movie just seemed to chug along slowly and it didn't have the epic feel of previous Rocky Movies.

There were some real bright points in this movie, but it just didn't seem consistent.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #508
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich was pretty disappointing. Not a huge fan of films that actively work to try and be cult/festival favourites. Too much winking at the camera andnintentional schlock. A few dumb over the top shock value moments that were stupidly gratuitous. Plus you made the puppets Nazis? Udo Keir was ok I guess. Hope the upcoming Critters remake is a little better.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #509
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Aquaman is one of the worst I've ever seen. I hate the actors who played Aquaman and his love interest. The villain was laughably lame. So many cheesy montages and lame jokes.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets on the other hand is a great sci-fi movie. Very underrated IMO. If you are a sci-fi fan definitely check it out.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:56 AM   #510
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets on the other hand is a great sci-fi movie. Very underrated IMO. If you are a sci-fi fan definitely check it out.
If they had chosen any other two lead actors I would
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #511
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If they had chosen any other two lead actors I would
Why? I do t know who they are but I liked both of them. The guy has a Keanu Reeves feel to him and the girl reminds me of Jennifer Connolly .
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #512
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Why? I do t know who they are but I liked both of them. The guy has a Keanu Reeves feel to him and the girl reminds me of Jennifer Connolly .
His face.

There's something off about it.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #513
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
They look like they should be brother and sister, not partners with sexual tension. Unless they change the movie to be set in Alabama. Then it works.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #514
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Aquaman is one of the worst I've ever seen. I hate the actors who played Aquaman and his love interest. The villain was laughably lame. So many cheesy montages and lame jokes.

There was something off about the pacing of Valerian. There were times when I was impressed by what I was seeing for sure. At other times I totally lost interest, and I was impatiently waiting for the movie to move along.

It's very similar to the Fifth Element. However, unlike the Fifth Element, Valerian never builds that insane sense of urgency and pacing that made the Fifth Element so much fun. The Fifth Element was filled with zany and capturing performances. Valerian was filled with entirely dull performances. Willis, Oldman, Tucker, Holm, etc... all killed it in the Fifth Element. The acting in Valerian was straight up bad. And yes, the two leads look like brother and sister, which is very jarring. That early scene where they are "flirting" in their swimwear is just creepy.

I also think you're missing the point of Aquaman. The movie is purposely campy. The dialogue and jokes are supposed to be cheesy. What makes Aquaman fun is the amazing visuals and world building. It might be a movie best watched on the big screen, as it's more of an experience than a plot based story. There were so many moments in that movie where I was just blown away at what was on screen. The action directing was also top notch.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #515
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm about a month late to post this, but The Ringer put together a very lengthy oral history on the making of Office Space: https://www.theringer.com/movies/2019/2/19/18228673/office-space-oral-history

I assume many of you have seen this film, so recommending it at this point is a bit of a stretch.

The article is hilarious with interview snippets from Mike Judge, Ron Livingston, Samir Naga Not Gonna Work Here Anymore, The 'O' Face guy, etc... well worth the hilarious read, such as this anecdote from Diedrich Bader (the two chicks-same time guy):

Bader: It’s an odd legacy, but if you Google “two chicks at the same time” my picture comes up. That’s my contribution to our culture as a whole. I guess I could have done without people shouting it out when I’m at the grocery store with my 4-year-old daughter. But it comes from love.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 08:23 AM   #516
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Dirt (Motley Crue biopic) was well casted and included more from the book than I'd predicted it would but it just wasn't as dirty as the source material. The book really told how awful these people were and how dark their lives became whereas the movie dismissed it as a boys-will-be-boys kind of thing and actually made the band likable.

It's worth watching if you're a fan but if not, despite a few shocking scenes (the motel poolside), it has its share of cliches and melodramatic writing. I liked it but, like most adaptations, it can't compare to the book.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:04 PM   #517
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Shazam on the sneak peak night.

It was a really good super hero movie.

For the DC fans it is the best they've done in several years (except wonder woman)

For the marvel fans it was fun and exceeded expectations like Antwan but had a little gravel in the story as well.

Really enjoyed that. My kids loved it. Theatre was packed and loud applause at the end.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:31 AM   #518
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Us was fantastic. Lots of room there to interpret some themes from the movie which makes for good thinking time afterwards. Suspenseful, well acted and some good laughs too.

Was it as good as Get Out? The movie is of a bigger scale which isn't always better but both were extremely good movies IMO. I haven't decided which one I like better.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #519
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Green Book was awesome. Loved it.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #520
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vice. Watch it.
If you like the style of The Big Short, you'll love this.
Pretty much the same cast anyhow. But really, Christian Bale was epic in this one.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote