Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2019, 12:22 AM   #1361
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
From my perspective as a STH in the greens, the following things are likely to be true:

-my view of the game will be equal or worse
-my ticket prices will be way higher
-my property taxes will be slightly higher
-there will still be a wait to use the bathroom at intermission
-there will still be a Ram truck in my way in the concourse.
-the construction materials will be shinier

Doesn't seem like a net benefit to me...
But there are probably enough people who will pay the higher prices and bring the team more revenue.

If the team is worth more in another city that can charge more, then you need to worry about potential relocation. If you want to ensure NHL hockey in Calgary well into the future, then there needs to be a new arena as it is affecting team valuation at this point.

I'm glad the NHL is expanding because it removes potential relocation options, but there are still probably a few cities where the Flames could make more money because of arena potential.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-09-2019 at 12:31 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:46 AM   #1362
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
But there are probably enough people who will pay the higher prices and bring the team more revenue.

If the team is worth more in another city that can charge more, then you need to worry about potential relocation. If you want to ensure NHL hockey in Calgary well into the future, then there needs to be a new arena as it is affecting team valuation at this point.

I'm glad the NHL is expanding because it removes potential relocation options, but there are still probably a few cities where the Flames could make more money because of arena potential.
There is no risk of relocation for Calgary while teams like FLA, ARI, and even OTT are still around and pulling in only a few thousand fans per game. And even if there were there would be a wealthy billionaire that would be willing to pay to bring another team here in a heartbeat.
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #1363
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
That was purposeful so your seat is just beyond throwing a jersey on the ice distance.
Just make the trek a fan has to make to the glass that much longer. Surely, given a bit more time to think this through they'll change their mind

Didn't work.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #1364
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think it's important to remember that Darryl Katz was behind Rogers Place so going by how he runs his hockey team it's really no surprise the arena is deficient which is a major failure considering it's the 2nd newest in the league the highest I have seen it ranked in any arena rankings is fifth but most have it lower and by all accounts Little Caesars arena blows it away. Also lets not forget that Kevin Lowe years ago let the cat out of the bag that the organization really only cares about Tier 1 fans so it's no surprise the upper seating was an afterthought. Just because Katz screwed up that doesn't mean that the Flames new arena won't be an immense improvement over the Saddledome and being 2nd in the arena race also provided the Flames the ability to ensure they don't make the same mistakes.
I agree that this is a likely reason the area up North was designed the way it was. To maximize the time you spend in the arena and push you to spend more on seats. A money making operation. I have also said it is pretty basic inside with a drab IOC feel which is probably a cost cut move.

What makes me happy is the city has taken the lead here. If they tell the Flames the city is leading with them consulted it will be a better result. If you listen to Bunk podcast he posted it seems the design and purpose will be totally different than Rogers.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #1365
ynwa03
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
^ one thing that I really disliked about Edmonton (especially coming from the Dome) was how far back all the seating was. Very football like and not the knees to your neighbours head seating you're used to in a rink. We had good seats in the lower bowl, but I felt like I was pretty far back from the game, and seeing the other end of the rink was tough.

Whatever they do in Calgary, I'd hope that the views at a hockey game is the primary consideration.
Surely, people are not this naive are they?

The team has said on several occasion they need a new area to make more money. That is the primary consideration.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #1366
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420since1974 View Post
Calgary Flames Team Value
as per Forbes - Dec. 2018.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/calgary-flames/
Ouch worth $200 million less than an expansion team.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #1367
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Add a relocation fee of 500 million or so...
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #1368
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
better than the 11 other teams below them... including tampa bay, nashville and winnipeg
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #1369
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
better than the 11 other teams below them... including tampa bay, nashville and winnipeg
They also aren’t for sale, so they don’t even have a price tag.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #1370
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Wait a minute...you start by saying that someone who visits an arena once or twice isn't entitled to much of an opinion on the quality of a building...Then you say that you've been to 15-20 other rinks (presumably once or twice at most), and proceed to state how much better they all are than the Dome?

It's almost like there are ~18000 people in the same place at the same time in all of these places?
Nope. Not what I said at all.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #1371
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Nope. Not what I said at all.
Fair enough - 'entitled to an opinion' was poorly worded on my part. My point stands though - the argument you made was that you don't notice the warts when you experience an arena once or twice, then went on to talk about how much better all of the other buildings you've visited (presumably once or twice) are.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #1372
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

I get both sides of the debate but the people who keep repeating "washroom and concessions will still be lined up" needs to visit some of the properly done arenas around the league.

You could put 5 Ram trucks in the concourse of a well designed building and it wouldn't be a problem.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #1373
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
20 teams in the NHL are worth less than the price paid for the new expansion team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #1374
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
I get both sides of the debate but the people who keep repeating "washroom and concessions will still be lined up" needs to visit some of the properly done arenas around the league.

You could put 5 Ram trucks in the concourse of a well designed building and it wouldn't be a problem.
I don’t think you should assume ignorance on the part of others, many have seen the new arenas and still hold that position. New is new, but not necessarily better.

The more expensive ones like the Centre Bell were done well, ACC also done well. The lower budget arenas were not done well, generally they are low budget public financed arenas. The Bell and ACC were built by private owners with deep pockets. The Verizon and Rogers arena are not very impressive, in particular Verizon has no leg room and small seats. Vegas done well and the owner paid for it. The one in Raleigh is also not too impressive. Some are very poorly located.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 03-09-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:13 AM   #1375
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Vegas is at 575m, Flames at 450m, so only $125 million less. Pittsburgh are valued at 650, one slot about Vegas, so easy mistake to make.

But they're valued at $450m. So if you own a house worth around $300 000, they're valued at 150 times that. I'm sure the owners are crying into their cornflakes about that.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #1376
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

1,500 times
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #1377
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Not exactly arena related but related to the proposed event centre area. The Federal have announced they will fund $166.6 million to the BMO Centre expansion. This was the last funding needed to proceed with the project.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...box=1552431405
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #1378
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I thought the Olympics was the “only way” to get Fed funding? I was led to believe that by our cohorts on this site.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #1379
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Not exactly arena related but related to the proposed event centre area. The Federal have announced they will fund $166.6 million to the BMO Centre expansion. This was the last funding needed to proceed with the project.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...box=1552431405

That is just such a sexy looking building. It reminds me of the Operahouse in my Norwegian hometown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #1380
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the design the final approved design, or just a fancy placeholder? I ask because I LOVE the design!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote