Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #61
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i did not see this mentioned, but i read the episode of the Simpsons (happy birthday lisa) will be pulled as it features jackson
Old 03-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #62
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i did not see this mentioned, but i read the episode of the Simpsons (happy birthday lisa) will be pulled as it features jackson

Yeah, that was just announced today.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #63
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I find it sad that all these allegations weren’t treated as credible or with respect when Jackson was alive. When he died he became a god - everyone adored him. Now with these allegations, this dead man is being shunned. Just sad. You have to feel for the victims. Societies justice is often cruel and unfair
Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #64
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Don't know how long this will last, but its up on youtube
Those comments... wow.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #65
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playfair View Post
I find it sad that all these allegations weren’t treated as credible or with respect when Jackson was alive.
Most people thought he was an abuser back when he was alive.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/15115/m...kson-true.aspx

Public opinion was against Jackson even back in the 90s. Everyone I knew thought he was a pedo when the first allegations came out in '93, if not before.

But when you have bajillions of dollars, the best lawyers money can buy, and lots of powerful people who don't want to lose the golden goose, you can make a problem go away. Oh, and a legion of deranged superfans who have all the discernment of flat-earthers.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-08-2019 at 01:48 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 12:10 AM   #66
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Most people thought he was an abuser back when he was alive.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/15115/m...kson-true.aspx

Public opinion was against Jackson even back in the 90s. Everyone I knew thought he was a pedo when the first allegations came out in '93, if not before.

But when you have bajillions of dollars, the best lawyers money can buy, and lots of powerful people who don't want to lose the golden goose, you can make a problem go away. Oh, and a legion of deranged superfans who have all the discernment of flat-earthers.
Yeah, he was viewed critically because of the allegations and considered washed up until he died (except by his cult following). Then the minute he died, it was like he became a hero again to the masses.

I find that it depend on the age of someone. People old enough who remember the allegations and his odd behaviour, tend to have always been critical. People who were young when he died seem to only remember the reverence that was paid to him and assume that he was always revered.

He started off revered, but was a laughing stock for a long time until his death temporarily seemed to exonerate him in the media.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:13 AM   #67
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playfair View Post
I find it sad that all these allegations weren’t treated as credible or with respect when Jackson was alive. When he died he became a god - everyone adored him. Now with these allegations, this dead man is being shunned. Just sad. You have to feel for the victims. Societies justice is often cruel and unfair
For me personally, it had nothing to do with adoring Jackson.

There was always a million weird rumours going on about MJ when he was alive, and it was obvious a lot of people hated him because he was so popular and they didnt't like his music. You couldn't take anything you heard about him at face value. It got especially bad when he started to be physically sick. So when the pedophilia accusations surfaced, it was sort of "more of the same".

I ran into that documentary yesterday, and felt like leaving out all the MJ stuff from tonights DJ set. Not because I think everybody should do so, but because I know I wouldn't have a good time playing it.

Last edited by Itse; 03-09-2019 at 05:16 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:05 AM   #68
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
There was always a million weird rumours going on about MJ when he was alive, and it was obvious a lot of people hated him because he was so popular and they didnt't like his music. You couldn't take anything you heard about him at face value.
It was well-established, and admitted even by Jackson himself, that he had child fans living with him at Neverland and sharing a bed with him every night. Those weren't rumours. Combined with his extremely eccentric behaviour, evident narcissism, and lack of any romantic links with adults, it didn't take hate or resentment to conclude that he was using those children for sexual gratification.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #69
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the fact that he was in his 40’s and shared a bed with little boys is creepy enough, regardless of if anything sexual happened or not. I have no idea if these allegations are true or not, but there’s no doubt in my mind that Michael Jackson was a deeply disturbed individual.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #70
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well. if there's a hell, its clearly going to have a way better soundtrack then heaven

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #71
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Simpsons are so PC its ridiculous...
Old 03-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #72
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yeah, pulling the episode containing a suspected pedophile is just extreme left-wing nonsense.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #73
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Yeah, pulling the episode containing a suspected pedophile is just extreme left-wing nonsense.
Its his voice in a cartoon...first Apu and now this

Its ridiculous...if you pull every piece of media with connections to a suspected sexual offender there won't be much left. Let people decide for themselves.

Should South Park pull episodes mocking him?

^^^This is what we are offended by?
Old 03-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #74
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Its ridiculous...if you pull every piece of media with connections to a suspected sexual offender there won't be much left. Let people decide for themselves.

It’s not being pulled because people are offended. The creators of the show decided to pull it because they don’t want it out there

Quote:
The guys I work with — where we spend our lives arguing over jokes — were of one mind on this…This was a treasured episode. There are a lot of great memories we have wrapped up in that one, and this certainly doesn’t allow them to remain.”

Brooks concluded by saying, “I’m against book burning of any kind. But this is our book, and we’re allowed to take out a chapter.”
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.indi...202049657/amp/
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #75
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It’s irrelevant to Canadians anyways since we don’t get Simpsons World access in Canada. This only matters if you watch the simpsons on syndication.

It’s still on Apple. And it sure isn’t being removed on torrents.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #76
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree with the Apu thing. The character isn't just the stereotype. He's a character that has been given multiple dimensions, and the creators have pushed back on the topic.

But surely you can see the difference between MJ and the Apu character, and the difference between South Park's satire and the episode/portrayal in question.

It seems strange to complain about The Simpsons being too PC using this as an example.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #77
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I’d give them the benefit of the doubt if they pulled the episode in 1993 when he was first accused, or 2002 when he was accused a second time...

Michael Jackson has been an alleged child abuser for longer than I’ve been alive. This just screams of jumping on a current trend and trying to act holier than thou. It’s obnoxious, but let’s be honest, that show’s been obnoxious for almost 20 years now.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #78
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Eric Weinstein commented about this today on twitter:

‘Spoiler Alert: our entire society is built on work done by people who lived lives that make us now squirm.

You‘re tearing your own skin in hopes of ridding yourself of melanoma. Stop trying to purify yourself. We‘re permanently impure. Infected. This will never work. Deal w/ it.’
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PostandIn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 10:44 PM   #79
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I’d give them the benefit of the doubt if they pulled the episode in 1993 when he was first accused, or 2002 when he was accused a second time...

Michael Jackson has been an alleged child abuser for longer than I’ve been alive. This just screams of jumping on a current trend and trying to act holier than thou. It’s obnoxious, but let’s be honest, that show’s been obnoxious for almost 20 years now.
This, said it better than I did....they are just jumping on the trend for a headline by doing it now. Simpsons have had hundreds of celebrity guest stars, some of them really terrible people/CONVICTED criminals
Old 03-10-2019, 12:15 AM   #80
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will preface this with the disclaimer that I have not seen Leaving Neverland or any clips/trailers.

And this video is unsettling.