Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2019, 05:56 PM   #1081
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

They could have at least come up with a good reason for needing the shuttle to be piloted in order to send out the probe.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #1082
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What drives me crazy is almost opposite. I mean frankly the bottom line is that I completely understand that its show and actor and plot driven. But this is my annoyance.

1) We have a ship of 400 people, like a naval vessel every individual has a specialization. I'm sure that there's a flight deck crew, you know with pilots, yet everyone seems to grab a shuttle on their own, without authorization. Shuttle pilots must really hate the command crew.

2) I've said this multiple times, you have an away mission with the Captain and half of the senior crew on the bridge. So not only if something bad happens do you lose your whole command structure. But the rest of the crew probably want to murder the bridge crew for being elitists who take all of the good assignments

3) You can apparently do everything from the bridge with a touch of the button. Transport people, all communications, all engineering functions, everything. So again, why does a ship like the Discovery or Enterprise need a crew of more then 10 people. I'm guessing that the 390 other crewman's job for the most part is cooking meals for the bridge crew, giving their foot massages and cleaning their sphincters after a good poop.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:09 PM   #1083
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I'm not sure how her being a choreographer has anything to do with her acting abilities.
If you’re wondering how she got an acting role with virtually no previous acting skill, she used her Hollywood connections.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:13 PM   #1084
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
What drives me crazy is almost opposite. I mean frankly the bottom line is that I completely understand that its show and actor and plot driven. But this is my annoyance.

1) We have a ship of 400 people, like a naval vessel every individual has a specialization. I'm sure that there's a flight deck crew, you know with pilots, yet everyone seems to grab a shuttle on their own, without authorization. Shuttle pilots must really hate the command crew.

2) I've said this multiple times, you have an away mission with the Captain and half of the senior crew on the bridge. So not only if something bad happens do you lose your whole command structure. But the rest of the crew probably want to murder the bridge crew for being elitists who take all of the good assignments

3) You can apparently do everything from the bridge with a touch of the button. Transport people, all communications, all engineering functions, everything. So again, why does a ship like the Discovery or Enterprise need a crew of more then 10 people. I'm guessing that the 390 other crewman's job for the most part is cooking meals for the bridge crew, giving their foot massages and cleaning their sphincters after a good poop.
I always wonder in these Star Trek shows...even the bridge crew, why are they needed? Future computer instant response and algorithms would command much better than living beings.

Oh there’s a time tsunami that’s going to hit them? Tilley has to tell them to get out of the way? No, in that time frame, the computer would already know, and would have already taken them out of harms way.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #1085
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I always wonder in these Star Trek shows...even the bridge crew, why are they needed? Future computer instant response and algorithms would command much better than living beings.
the rise of AI and automation in the real world certainly make elements of Star Trek seem anachronistic, but changing it to be a more realistic 200-300 years in the future would alter things to the point where it might as well be a brand new sci-fi series. even Star Wars is a little silly that way with everything being conducted as a WWII analog; hell it even had a droid army go toe to toe with a galactic republic led by space wizards, and even after that they're still willing to throw millions of actual living beings into the meat grinder.

but then at the same time you still have people complaining that USS Discovery is way too advanced looking, and would prefer that it looked like a cheap cardboard set from the 1960's purely for visual continuity with TOS.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #1086
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
the rise of AI and automation in the real world certainly make elements of Star Trek seem anachronistic, but changing it to be a more realistic 200-300 years in the future would alter things to the point where it might as well be a brand new sci-fi series. even Star Wars is a little silly that way with everything being conducted as a WWII analog; hell it even had a droid army go toe to toe with a galactic republic led by space wizards, and even after that they're still willing to throw millions of actual living beings into the meat grinder.

but then at the same time you still have people complaining that USS Discovery is way too advanced looking, and would prefer that it looked like a cheap cardboard set from the 1960's purely for visual continuity with TOS.

Its funny with Star Wars and the Clone Wars, because if you go back and read some of the books, for the most part the citizens of the republic and the Jedi viewed the Clones as no more then battle droids. They didn't really view them as citizens or citizen soldiers of the Republic. So while you can view the Separatists as Nazi's with face less, remorseless soldiers that obey all orders without questions. The Clones were in a lot of ways treated worse by the Republic. They were basically slaves that the Republic was willing to throw away. It was worse for the defective clones. Originally they were liquidated and broken down for spare parts. It was only later that some Jedi pushed for them to be spared and used as basically slave labor.

Sometimes we view the clone wars where you have people like Anakin, Kenobi, Ashoka and even Yoda as treating Clones as living things but you also had other Jedi like Krell etc that treated them as nothing more then flesh based disposable droids.

The thing that people tend to gloss over in the PT is that absolutely Sidious and Grevious and Dooku were the key focus villains. But the Republic which was corrupt and fairly ruthless and in a way anti-democratic were villains in their own right.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #1087
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post

Oh there’s a time tsunami that’s going to hit them? Tilley has to tell them to get out of the way? No, in that time frame, the computer would already know, and would have already taken them out of harms way.
Did you not learn anything from M5??
Old 03-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #1088
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The thing that people tend to gloss over in the PT is that absolutely Sidious and Grevious and Dooku were the key focus villains. But the Republic which was corrupt and fairly ruthless and in a way anti-democratic were villains in their own right.
whenever I imagine what you look like in real life I assume it's a pair of glowing yellow eyes under a black hood.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #1089
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I watched Discovery last night annd

Spoiler!

Old 03-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #1090
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe you should just stop watching? You clearly hate it and the weekly meandering bitch-fest is a bit tiresome.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #1091
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Maybe you should just stop watching? You clearly hate it and the weekly meandering bitch-fest is a bit tiresome.
I suppose equally, ignore the comment if you find it tiresome.

I enjoy reading positive and negative feedback on weekly episodes. It's the primary purpose of actually reading a thread. If it's a weekly lovefest, forums go the way of the dodo bird.

I enjoyed this episode far greater than the previous few weeks. Down to three main plot points instead of 20. It's far from ideal but certainly maintained interest even if Star Trek canon was sort of turfed, not that I really care. I just want an enjoyable and well written storyline & plot.

Red Angel being Michael seems very probable.

I found it actually funny with the big build up of what Michael did to Spock as a child. That big meanie - damaged for life
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:10 PM   #1092
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it’s fine to a point, when it starts getting to that level of Walking Dead criticism where people just chime in to just to say the show sucks and they aren’t watching anymore, or similarly lame hot takes like that, it wears really thin.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #1093
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!
The events of the episode happen years after “The Cage”. “The Menagerie” occurs years after this episode.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #1094
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

[SPOILER]
Oh and I forgot that the Cyborg has been assimilated by the Probe
Spoiler!
I have no idea where the book series' stands in the canon--I'm just going to assume they don't stand anywhere anymore--but I hope we are done with them after David Mack's Destiny trilogy.

Shelve them. For 25 years. In all mediums

Them=
Spoiler!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #1095
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Shatner's book theorized that Voyager had been assimilated when it came across the Borg home world and they gave it some upgrades and became V'ger.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #1096
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think it’s fine to a point, when it starts getting to that level of Walking Dead criticism where people just chime in to just to say the show sucks and they aren’t watching anymore, or similarly lame hot takes like that, it wears really thin.
look on the bright side, at least he didn't include the normally obligatory "watch The Orville instead because it's superior in every way and true to the original vision of Star Trek". I don't care one lick if it's even true, there's a perfectly good separate thread for Orville worship.

what I want is clarification on the ongoing referral to Michael Burnham as a Mary Sue. first of all I can't stand that goddamn term, mostly because nobody knew it or used it at all until The Force Awakens, and now suddenly you can't discuss any fiction without seeing it pop up. as far as I know, Mary Sue means character (of any gender) that excels at everything they do, without justification.

Assuming Burnham was born with a gifted intellect to begin with (like Stamets, LaForge, Crusher or any other number of technobabble spewing officers), then it should be completely believable that her Vulcan upbringing maximized her analytic/problem solving potential. and all the combat skills are explained by her rigorous training in Vulcan karate. and yet she's still quite stunted emotionally and it shows in many of her decisions so far.

so what exactly am I missing? why is it impossible to believe that her intellect and physical prowess are at a level above most of her shipmates? Stamets and Tilly are still better than her at their respective specialties, while Pike and Saru are still better leaders. she's not really the one woman starfleet that she's being made out as.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #1097
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

See that was a fantastic really well done written and acted episode.

Why? . . . because it was focused
Why? . . . because characters that have been ignored or used like furniture got to tell a story
why? . . . .because frankly the chemistry between Pike and Admiral Cornwell is fracking fantastic

Spoiler!

Old 03-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #1098
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
See that was a fantastic really well done written and acted episode.

Why? . . . because it was focused
Why? . . . because characters that have been ignored or used like furniture got to tell a story
why? . . . .because frankly the chemistry between Pike and Admiral Cornwell is fracking fantastic

Spoiler!

I'm willing to bet it isn't a coincidence the only episodes you like are directed by Frakes.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #1099
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I'm willing to bet it isn't a coincidence the only episodes you like are directed by Frakes.

I didn't know it was directed by Frakes,

Spoiler!

Old 03-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #1100
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree, that was a great episode. Best one they've done yet IMO.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote