Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #301
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Aimee Mann and Ted Leo (live tonight at the Rec Room) have a new podcast:

https://maximumfun.org/shows/art-of-process
I've been meaning to check that out but I'm already overloaded on podcasts. Rhett Miller of the Old 97's has a new podcast too called "Wheels Off" about being a touring musician.

I also got into "Cocaine & Rhinestones" recently. It's a history of country music.

On Demi Adejuyigbe's "Punch Up The Jam" he makes fun of crappy (and not so crappy) songs and then does his own version is hilarious. He does parody songs all the time (I posted one in the Oscar thread) and he writes for James Corden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
One 4 hour info dump of pure insanity every year is just the right amount of Alex Jones.
I like Vic Berger's videos. He highlights the craziest bits.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #302
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tomorrow's Joe Rogan has David Lee Roth. Will it be a crazier interview than Alex Jones?
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:29 PM   #303
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Tomorrow's Joe Rogan has David Lee Roth. Will it be a crazier interview than Alex Jones?

DLR will tell crazy stories about doing blow and rock star shenanigans.

AJ talked about how inter-dimensional aliens want to steal your baby's organs and sell them to China.

It's no contest.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #304
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://livewirecalgary.com/2019/03/...ell-and-carra/

My latest - a conversation about growth and development with Councillors Farrell, Gondek and Carra. This one has generated a lot of banter on twitter.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #305
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've been enjoying a couple conspiracy theory podcasts.

Tin Foil Hat: They take an Art Bell approach to conspiracies, they're more interested in exploring conspiracies, try to keep things pretty light and aren't very critical.

Those Conspiracy Guys: These guys take the deep dive into conspiracies, each podcast is usually between 4-7 hours long and has about 20-30 hours of research put into them. They spend a lot of time setting up historical context and sometimes only a small portion of the Podcast directly discusses the conspiracies. It's more historical than conspiratorial. After setting up context, they'll critically evaluate the likelihood of the theories being true.

In their Jim Morrison podcast, they spend most of it discussing his crazy life and just touch on the portions of his life that cross into conspiracy territory (27 club, Laurel Canyon and his father's involvement in the gulf of tonkin incident):

"Did you know Jim's dad was a Vice Admiral in the US navy and helped orchestrate the gulf of tonkin incident? It's like finding out Dick Cheney was Kurt Cobain's dad." (para-phrased)

Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #306
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

There's a Late Night with Seth Meyers podcast. The other day he had John Mulaney on for a discussion about working on SNL.

https://www.nbc.com/late-night-with-...s/lnsm-podcast
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #307
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Adam Duritz of Counting Crows has a podcast called Underwater Sunshine.

It covers a lot of deep dives into music & plays lots of interesting stuff.

http://countingcrows.com/podcast/
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #308
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Check out Dax Shepard’s podcast episode with Craig T Nelson. He tells stories from the old days (Poltergeist, All The Right Moves, And Justice For All, etc.) where he is completely drunk and gakked up while acting. Some of it is hilarious. Some tragic. He is clean now and has been for a long time but he was basically John Belushi back in the 70s and 80s.

Last edited by SportsJunky; 06-03-2019 at 02:34 PM.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #309
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Crime Beat with Nancy Hixt is pretty fascinating. She covers infamous Calgary crime stories. Only complaint is she speaks at a news broadcasting speed, I don't think she realizes that podcast requires a bit more tempo.

Sounds like she's talking really slow for a child. But her experiences and the content are really fascinating if you're a Calgary resident.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #310
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Recents:

Howard Stern on Conan.

David Letterman on Maron.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #311
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Speaking of Conan's podcast, his interview with Jimmy Kimmel was quite good also.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #312
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Speaking of Conan's podcast, his interview with Jimmy Kimmel was quite good also.
That was a great one. Loved how they found out some new things about each other live on the podcast. Kimmel "At one point ABC straight up told me that they were contemplating replacing me with you". Conan "What!!?? They never told me about that or asked me!".

Turns out it was probably ABC just using Conan as a threat in their negotiation, lol. So many great behind the scenes stuff of network bull****, though. Highly recommend it.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #313
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

It was interesting to hear Kimmel talk about what a daily grind the show is for him. How he's not happy unless he's away from the show, or any form of work for that matter.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #314
jayswin

Exp:

If you're into science and specifically the universe I can't highly recommend enough the Infinite Monkey Cage. It's a panel based podcast with the two hosts, usually one or two relevant scientists and a comedian.

It's very british but the set up is phenomenal. It doesn't drone on like a lot of learning podcasts. They keep things fresh, upbeat at times comedic, but always on point. And they have covered so many of the topics people love to contemplate.

https://player.fm/series/the-infinit...y-cage-1301297

Epsiodes include things like Parallel Universes, Building a Bionic Human, AI, How much more is their to discover in the Ocean/Universe, are we living in a simulation, mind vs brain etc.

The comedian brought in really makes it. British comedians tend to be well educated and well versed in a variety of topics compared to most American ones, but when they do step out of their depth and say something silly or wrong the scientists become hilariously dry and savage like only brits can.

Check it out, you learn a lot very quickly.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #315
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
It was interesting to hear Kimmel talk about what a daily grind the show is for him. How he's not happy unless he's away from the show, or any form of work for that matter.
What I find fascinating is that despite all these talk shows looking like well oiled, smooth running nightly occurrences is that the one constant you get from hearing candidly from hosts is that they are daily chaotic experiences, with hundreds of people desperately trying to put everything together until the last minute, even years into a show.

Also that the hosts are often in a blurry, secluded world inside the eye of a talk show and don't really know how it comes off on camera or how things are going other than when they find out through the media.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-03-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #316
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

jayswin, if you enjoy science, space and a bit of history check out BBC's 13 Minutes to the Moon.
Quote:
How the first moon landing was saved. The full story of the people who made Apollo 11 happen and prevented it from going badly wrong
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13...odes/downloads

Utterly amazing how young those engineers and scientists were.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #317
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What I find fascinating is that despite all these talk shows looking like well oiled, smooth running nightly occurrences is that the one constant you get from hearing candidly from hosts is that they are daily chaotic experiences, with hundreds of people desperately trying to put everything together until the last minute, even years into a show.

Also that the hosts are often in a blurry, secluded world inside the eye of a talk show and don't really know how it comes off on camera or how things are going other than when they find out through the media.
It goes to show how on the nose The Larry Sanders Show was.

The Inside Conan podcast is also worth checking out. It's hosted by a couple of writers and they have various guests and behind the scenes people on. I like the recent episode with Jimmy Pardo, who used to do warmup for the show.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:14 PM   #318
jayswin

Exp:

Yeah, started that one last week but only got one episode in after started monkey cage. I can't wait to go back. Loved seeing the first hand accounts of young guys being hired in houston, and how the atmosphere was like they were working at any old job.....except they were about to send men to the moon.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #319
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, started that one last week but only got one episode in after started monkey cage. I can't wait to go back. Loved seeing the first hand accounts of young guys being hired in houston, and how the atmosphere was like they were working at any old job.....except they were about to send men to the moon.
It took me until the last four words of your post to realize you weren't replying to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #320
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best true crime podcast I've come across is Small Town Dicks. It features the detectives that were involved in the cases, and has extensive interview and scene recordings. It is very good.