Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-04-2019, 10:24 PM   #901
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I guess my point was just that if a new organization that's likely swamped and appears to be trying their best had one call back slip through by accident maybe just call them if you're interested.
500 pairs of tickets sold swamped.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:58 PM   #902
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
500 pairs of tickets sold swamped.
When there is probably two, maybe three guys with a couple laptops, a couple telephones, a rate sheet, a talking point info sheet, and an excel spreadsheet, making $17h to call people and try and sell them, it is swamped.

Maybe the third guy is part time and has another job to go to after helping out on the initial call list, leaving two guys. One guy is part time and the other full time guy is sick.

If people are expecting zero growing pains and have zero patience with any new startup (business or sports team) that has very limited resources, it’s probably not for you.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2019, 03:39 AM   #903
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sorry I was judging from the ticket prices that it wasn’t a “mom and pop” run organization or some kind of junior achievement business start up.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #904
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The CPL has been awarded a spot in the CONCACAF League starting in 2019. I'm guessing this spot will go to the CPL champion, but not sure who gets in for 2019. The winner of the CONCACAF League qualifies for the CONCACAF Champions League.

https://www.concacafleague.com/en/article/concacaf-announces-scotiabank-concacaf-league-expansion?

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 07:39 AM   #905
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Knowing how the CSA goes, they'll probably award the spot to the team with the most Os in their name.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:01 AM   #906
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Knowing how the CSA goes, they'll probably award the spot to the team with the most Os in their name.

Team with the most fair play points accumulated.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #907
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alphabetical order. Cavalry gets the spot.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #908
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

So if I understand correctly, there are two routes from Canada into the CONCACAF Tournaments.

1. Win the Voyagers Cup (straight to the CONCACAF Champions League)
2. Win the CPL Title (play in the CONCACAF League to try and win into the Champions Leauge)
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #909
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The "draw" for the Voyageurs Cup was held today. Cavalry's path is as follows:

Round 1: Cavalry vs Pacific
Round 2: Winner of round 1 vs Forge
Round 3: Winner of round 2 vs Whitecaps
Round 4: Winner of round 3 vs Montreal / Edmonton / York / Blainville
Round 5: Winner of round 4 vs Toronto / Ottawa / Valour / Halfiax / Vaughan

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/s...79870879080450

Old 02-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #910
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, in keeping with the CSA randomly seeding some teams due to the date they were founded, the entrant into the 2019 CONCACAF League will be based on home / away results between FC Edmonton, Valour and Forge. An absolute joke.

Quote:
In 2019, Canada Soccer will use the home and away matches in the Canadian Premier League regular season between FC Edmonton, Forge FC, and Valour FC to determine who advances to the Preliminary Round of the 2019 Scotiabank Concacaf League. Consistent with seeding for the Canadian Championship based on membership, these three inaugural teams will be provided with a unique opportunity for this season to earn the Canada 2 spot in Scotiabank Concacaf League. Starting in 2020, the previous year’s Canadian Premier League champion will earn the right to be designated as Canada 2 in Scotiabank Concacaf League.
Source: https://canadasoccer.com/canada-socc...league-p162045

Old 02-12-2019, 09:05 PM   #911
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The CSA playing favourites like that basically puts two thoughts in my head: just how corrupt is this organization? And, why on earth should anyone in Victoria, Calgary, York or Halifax actually bother supporting this league when it treats our teams as second class entries?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #912
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haha what a mess. I give this league half a season (ala the Canadian Baseball League) before it folds up shop. What a #### show.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:42 AM   #913
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to say earlier today after Sherm’s alphabetical post, that the CSA would award based on which provincial or club technical directors they are most aligned with as part of the political party which is the CSA....and it turns out I was more or less right.

Ottawa really gets punished...a team up for review from the regional body (while the CSA stared at its toes and kept quiet) for league eligibility, and they get into the last round, while not playing a game against another team in this country in the foreign league they are in.

A farce and a disgrace, but not a surprise.

Said before, said again, the biggest challenge for soccer in this country isn’t geography or a fractured national team, it is trying to figure out a way to avoid its own governing body.

That organization is made up of self serving, corrupt egomaniacs, no matter who is in it. One group from one section of Quebec or Ontario will gain enough support to run a coup on this group, and then spend the rest of the term defending themselves vs the next group like a high school cliq. Rinse and repeat.

Remember when Devos went there, saying he would bring full transparency? He’s gotten his cut and made to drink the Kool Aid, so he’s lock step with the other thiefs.

I wonder how much of that 2026 WC money has been spent already by those crooks? I’m guessing half the CSA will be travelling to 3 weeks to Qatar for the WC and a few fact finding missions a few times between now and then too. There won’t be enough to have a change kit for the WC by the time, never mind the development programs that money should be earmarked for at least a decade or more post WC.

Edit: Whole Ottawa league embarrassment thing makes sense now, guess who the only CSA board member (of the 14!! board members) who is also a club owner?

https://canadasoccer.com/index.php?pid=4626&t=profile&

Last edited by browna; 02-13-2019 at 01:55 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #914
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely agree that the CSA are looking more and more mickey mouse, with the Zambrano / Herdman debacle (even if it appears justified based on rumours), the Fury debacle, the Voyageurs Cup seeding and now this. They were really turning things around under Montagliani, so this is a shame.

But it has nothing to do with the CPL itself and whether that league will get support. It's the CSA that deserves the blowback, not the league or it's clubs.

And to switch gears, there's a new signing for Cavalry, German MF Julian Buscher. Previously played in the 3. Liga, MLS and USL. Solid signing IMO.

https://twitter.com/CPLCavalryFC/sta...38142123061248

Last edited by shermanator; 02-13-2019 at 11:15 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #915
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can't wait for the CPL to announce the format for the season - at the end of the season instead of ranking the teams based on results we'll simply rank them based on which club is the oldest. Much simpler and "consistent with seeding for the Canadian Championship based on membership".
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #916
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavalry sign German midfielder Julian Büscher

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/article/das-ist-gut

EDIT: Beaten by shermanator, which is completely acceptable
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #917
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just came across this soccer stadium at Kennesaw State University, and it's size / scope would be perfect for Cavalry FC down the line, should they (and the CPL) prove to be a successful franchise a decade from now:

Spoiler!

The public concourse, atmosphere and urban integration are top notch, IMO.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 04:47 PM   #918
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Just came across this soccer stadium at Kennesaw State University, and it's size / scope would be perfect for Cavalry FC down the line, should they (and the CPL) prove to be a successful franchise a decade from now:

Spoiler!

The public concourse, atmosphere and urban integration are top notch, IMO.
According to Wikipedia, that stadium seats 10,500, definitely top notch looking though.

I think Spruce Meadows has bigger plans for Cavalry than that. The plan they released was for 12k and Ian Allison has mentioned 16k. So a bigger version of that would be fantastic.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #919
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I definitely agree that the CSA are looking more and more mickey mouse, with the Zambrano / Herdman debacle (even if it appears justified based on rumours), the Fury debacle, the Voyageurs Cup seeding and now this. They were really turning things around under Montagliani, so this is a shame.

But it has nothing to do with the CPL itself and whether that league will get support. It's the CSA that deserves the blowback, not the league or it's clubs.

And to switch gears, there's a new signing for Cavalry, German MF Julian Buscher. Previously played in the 3. Liga, MLS and USL. Solid signing IMO.

https://twitter.com/CPLCavalryFC/sta...38142123061248
Great looking signing. He's the type of player that CanPL needs, with MLS experience, European pedigree and being the likely victim of a numbers game with LA and DC.

Hopefully there's a couple more like him and maybe a bigger name surprise or two from a decent senior men's NT.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #920
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
According to Wikipedia, that stadium seats 10,500, definitely top notch looking though.

I think Spruce Meadows has bigger plans for Cavalry than that. The plan they released was for 12k and Ian Allison has mentioned 16k. So a bigger version of that would be fantastic.
That stadium was built for $16.5M (USD) too, which is an absolutely reasonable cost for a facility like that.

I heard that the planned capacity would be higher for a future Calgary stadium, I'm just taking a conservative approach.