Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 02-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #1221
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Which the stats prove isn’t true

Second part obviously
That is not an accurate statement at all. In fact, it is laughable (the comment, not you - no offense).

There is nothing close to proof here.

Some guy looks at a very non-statistical situation like whether a goaltender's puckhandling helps the defense, and tries to determine, statistically, if it's true.

How does he do this? He considers some stats, like maybe GAA with and without that goalie, number of injuries (man-games lost) to the defense, shots against for the next 30 seconds after an event (or whatever), and who knows what other stats he might consider.

He then digests these stats, looks at the results of his assumptions, draws a conclusion, and spits out an article presenting that conclusion.

That is NOT proof. That is one person's completely non-scientific attempt to analyse something that is extremely fluid and extremely difficult to quantify.

When it comes to something like this, I put more stock in comments from professional defensemen and GMs, and from the opinions of people that have been a part of the game at the highest level their entire adult lives, than I do the opinion of one journalist who made one (hopelessly flawed) attempt to quantify the impact.

It always amazes me how quickly people will accept - and declare as proof - the opinions and conjecture of these types of articles.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #1222
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
That is not an accurate statement at all. In fact, it is laughable (the comment, not you - no offense).

There is nothing close to proof here.

Some guy looks at a very non-statistical situation like whether a goaltender's puckhandling helps the defense, and tries to determine, statistically, if it's true.

How does he do this? He considers some stats, like maybe GAA with and without that goalie, number of injuries (man-games lost) to the defense, shots against for the next 30 seconds after an event (or whatever), and who knows what other stats he might consider.

He then digests these stats, looks at the results of his assumptions, draws a conclusion, and spits out an article presenting that conclusion.

That is NOT proof. That is one person's completely non-scientific attempt to analyse something that is extremely fluid and extremely difficult to quantify.

When it comes to something like this, I put more stock in comments from professional defensemen and GMs, and from the opinions of people that have been a part of the game at the highest level their entire adult lives, than I do the opinion of one journalist who made one (hopelessly flawed) attempt to quantify the impact.

It always amazes me how quickly people will accept - and declare as proof - the opinions and conjecture of these types of articles.
When people look at Smith's puckhandling, they always focus on his long passes. I think his best trait is stopping a ring around, even high up on the boards.

His mistakes are overemphasized here. I can't recall a single goal he's cost because of it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 08:03 PM   #1223
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
When people look at Smith's puckhandling, they always focus on his long passes. I think his best trait is stopping a ring around, even high up on the boards.

His mistakes are overemphasized here. I can't recall a single goal he's cost because of it.
This has to be a joke
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #1224
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He cost the Flames a goal in his last start because he turned the puck over...also plenty of near misses in that game.

And in the SJ game...Jumbo Joe hit the post on an empty net

Last edited by dino7c; 02-11-2019 at 08:45 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #1225
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bwahahahahahahaha! That's a good one!!! Oh man, funniest thing I've read in a while. Well played, sir!

Oh wait, you were serious.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #1226
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You'd have to go all the way back to February 1st 2019 to find a Mike Smith giveaway that lead to a goal.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:37 PM   #1227
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or go back 2 games to where Thornton hit the post and should have easily scored. Also cost a penalty on that play.

I really like that Smith can stop the ring arounds; I don't always like what he does next. The net positive/negative of his puck handling is fair debate however, as the negative giveaways will always stick out more.

Smith has much bigger problems than his puck handling.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:37 PM   #1228
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly I like his puck handling...but he does cost the team goals if we are being honest.

The problem is he can't make a save, we are not leading the division ATM because of Smith.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #1229
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the topic of acquiring a new goaltender, I'm curious how easy it is to actually implement? Perhaps someone has done an analysis of goaltenders who were traded mid-season?

I suspect it is a lot harder to parachute a goaltender into a new team than many seem to think. I posit that familiarity with your top 4 D, PK system, and top forwards & 5/6 D are all critically important to how goalies react. We may only be talking about a few mms different in positioning, or a totally subconscious instinct for how to respond to certain situations (lots of traffic, 2 on 1 break, 3 on 2, etc.).

Probably less of an issue with goalies who have played for several different teams or had several different coaches, but I'm not so sure a one-team guy like Jimmy Howard is a sure bet to hit his stride immediately? Maybe Cam Talbot doesn't even know what to do anymore with professional defenders on his team? The one guy I'd wonder about is Ryan Miller - I think it recently sounded like he was close to returning, and he's been around the block...

Perhaps the 8-10 starts before the end of the season are enough to overcome most of this, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if a new goalie allowed just as many 'bad goals' by virtue of being new as Smith would...

I would also think this doesn't apply nearly as much for AHL callups...they are already in a similar system, have training camp and pre-season experience with the guys, and are likely more in tune with the big club by watching more of their games.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #1230
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
You'd have to go all the way back to February 1st 2019 to find a Mike Smith giveaway that lead to a goal.
Didn't see that goal TBH. I was away. My bad. OK, aside from that one.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #1231
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Didn't see that goal TBH. I was away. My bad. OK, aside from that one.
The onus for that one itself is debatable. Smith recovered on his giveaway and made a save. The puck remained in the zone and Washington scored when the Flames were unable to clear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #1232
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The onus for that one itself is debatable. Smith recovered on his giveaway and made a save. The puck remained in the zone and Washington scored when the Flames were unable to clear it.
I was looking for something more like the Rittich giveaway against the Sharks that led right to a goal. I take away my
Old 02-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #1233
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cringe every time Rittich plays the puck, I don't with Smith. Especially considering the amount he actually touches the puck. His play with the puck isn't an issue.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #1234
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Surprising because Smith is responsible for so many turnovers he could be running a bakery.

But the commentators love to tell the story that he is the greatest at it, which is, I guess, calming.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:35 PM   #1235
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No, it won't. SJ and VGK have their own issues and despite all of Smith's struggles have been completely incapable of making up any ground on the Flames. It's a six-point gap, and one that is not at all likely for them to bridge.
Did you learn nothing from Spector?
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:38 PM   #1236
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

So about those 6-8 points Smith has cost the team lol

Find a goalie
Old 02-12-2019, 11:48 PM   #1237
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
So about those 6-8 points Smith has cost the team lol

Find a goalie

How about firing Sigalet?

For the life of me I can't understand the change in technique that was first implemented on Smith in the off season/earlyand now Rittich in the past couple months.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:42 AM   #1238
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lol ...O your serious

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 02-13-2019 at 01:44 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 01:54 AM   #1239
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 02-13-2019 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:32 AM   #1240
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm