Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Stat Hack: Is David Rittich the Flames Weakness?

Is David Rittich a Calgary Flames Weakness?

- a look at his season totals and rankings
- 5 game segment by 5 game segment ... has he slid?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO SV% can't account for game situation. A goal against up by 2-3 goals does not have the same value as a goal against in a tie game - players just aren't as dialed in. I'd like to see the stats for tie games or one goal situations.

I also think the Flames' defensive play has been poor lately. Like, all of January I thought we were an ugly team to watch that just had the Midas touch on offense.

On that note, I feel like Rittich is the most shutout averse goalie I've seen in a while. He can dominate a game but still let in that one goal to hurt his shutout bid. Or maybe that's this team's defensive play.

Quote:
Where he goes from here speaks to his ability to shore up his weaknesses and get back to his early season prowess, or at every least halt the slide and maintain the upper half goaltending statistics he’s posted.

I agree, but I am skeptical of Sigalet's ability to get him there.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-11-2019 at 02:34 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still hold to my opinion that Rittich is more "Consistently Good Enough" than excellent goalie. Lots of quality starts, but relatively few outstanding games in comparison.

I think we can go far with a goalie like that. With a bit of luck, which is always needed anyway.

EDIT:
Of course it's yet to be seen whether he can handle playoff pressure, but only one way to find out and all that.

I'm not overly worried about our defense being a bit porous lately. Pressure and stakes have been low. Basically all teams tighten up considerably when the playoffs start, but you can't turn on offense the same way.

Last edited by Itse; 02-11-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Chicago won the cup with Antti Niemi... I think Rittich is at least as good as Niemi...
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think the big thing for me is ... yes he's slid a bit, but his slide doesn't take him under the league average starter.

His first 10 games he was top three ... second 10 games top ten, third set top 15.

Given Smith's difficulty that isn't a bad situation.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #6
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The guys on 960 mentioned a few days back that BSD's save percentage is pretty bad lately, like I can't remember the exact stat but in the last 10 games it was .889 or so (where he's more like .91 for the year and something stupid like .93 on the road).

Does seem he's lost some swagger, hopefully he gets it back.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:18 PM   #7
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is fine. All goalies have a lapse during the season, even the best ones.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Goaltending has been the biggest question mark of this team since the summer. Anyone who looked up and down the roster knew what a glaring weakness it was. Smith has been worse than expected but Rittich really surprised and answered some of the questions about him.

The problem is after Rittich there is nothing, seriously nothing. If Big Save Dave's play dips (it has) or if he's hurt the Flames are totally boned. Hell looking at Treliving's tenure in Calgary it's been continuing swings and misses on goaltending.

Personally I'm a fan of Rittich and think he'll get it back. Brodie's been struggling too and when one of your top Dmen struggle in their own zone the goaltending will suffer too.

Still need to address the backup role though. A major win at the deadline will be getting a bonafide 1a/b net minder.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LWcrowfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #9
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think the big thing for me is ... yes he's slid a bit, but his slide doesn't take him under the league average starter.

His first 10 games he was top three ... second 10 games top ten, third set top 15.

Given Smith's difficulty that isn't a bad situation.
So is that a trend? Or leveling out? With no real track record for Rittich it’s hard to say.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:28 PM   #10
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
The problem is after Rittich there is nothing, seriously nothing. If Big Save Dave's play dips (it has) or if he's hurt the Flames are totally boned. Hell looking at Treliving's tenure in Calgary it's been continuing swings and misses on goaltending.
And that's the problem. Mike Smith just can't handle any of the load. Like, any of it. So it's basically all on Rittich's shoulders. No surprise if he's starting to wear out.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #11
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
He is fine. All goalies have a lapse during the season, even the best ones.
His last ten games he's gone:

10 GP

4W, 4L, 2 OTL, 0.899 SV% and a 3.16 GAA.

Edit:

I lied, those are Pekka Rinne's stats. Last year's Vezina winner.

BSD:

10 GP

7W, 2OTL, 1ND, 0.904 SV%, 2.89 GAA.

People need to chill out and put things in context. Take what we have so far this year and be thankful. Without Rittich, this team is on the bubble, or outside looking in, instead of fighting for top spot in the West and an outside shot at the President's trophy.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."

Last edited by IliketoPuck; 02-11-2019 at 04:39 PM. Reason: To make a point
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #12
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It always seem reasonable that Rittich would come back down to Earth eventually this season and regress somewhat. I am actually surprised at how quickly some people were ready to say an inexperienced goalie playing well over his career norm is the answer. I still like him, but we desperately need another option for now to keep him fresh and some of the pressure off.

Rittich is OK, but let's not forget that he is still not proven and that Smith lost the starter role more than Rittich won it.

But seeing Rittich play so well at points this season sure make me optimistic about him in the coming seasons.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #13
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He is 100% not the weakness.

Last two losses are on lack of finish from the offence.

I mean, my god, the guy is 20-4-5. His regulation losses were (aside from two hooks) of the 1-0 and 2-0 variety. They're coming off two breaks, he just looked rusty like every one else on the team. Looked better as the Vancouver game went on. Not concerned.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #14
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone knows Rittich didn't play well last year when Smith went down and that he's a very inexperienced goalie. Most fans weren't calling him the answer, they were just saying he's the much better option than Smith this season.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #15
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goaltending is the main weakness organization-wide.

But out of all the goaltenders, Rittich deserves the least blame.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #16
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just feels to me that fans and the media are always looking to start false narratives when there doesn't need to be one.

I was especially disappointed with the morning show on the fan, who in between eating their wings and generally being idiots, managed to mix in a super hot take on a goalie with a 20-4-5 record.

Really fresh stuff from Boomer, Rhett, et al. Really showed off the analytical, insider insights there. Give me a break.

This is why we can't have nice things.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #17
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, Rittich's biggest weakness is that he has a back up that routinely looks like a beer leaguer, throwing his whole body at pucks because he never had a read on it in the first place.

He's done at the NHL level after this season and would be done already if it weren't for the large contract obligation. Peters is desperately just putting Smith in for back to backs and pure basement teams.

Rittich would benefit greatly from a decent back up that could push him for starts and allow some games off to rest and not see such a dramatic rise in games played this early in his NHL career.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #18
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve been concerned about his performance sliding for a while. He hasn’t been bad - the majority of goals are ‘not his fault’, but the difference between .920+ and .910 is a few ‘he had no business making that save’ saves. We saw more of those earlier in the season.

I like the quality and bad start metrics as a short hand way to judge play and am comforted that he is pretty stable in that department.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #19
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Everyone knows Rittich didn't play well last year when Smith went down and that he's a very inexperienced goalie. Most fans weren't calling him the answer, they were just saying he's the much better option than Smith this season.
It seems like most fans around here anyway, are dead set against using assets to acquire a decent secondary option for him though (or a goalie that would make him the 1B). I guess I infer that to mean they also think he is the answer.

But I do agree that he isn't a weakness. The weakness is that he is all we have at the moment.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 02-11-2019 at 05:30 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #20
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Goaltending is the main weakness organization-wide.

But out of all the goaltenders, Rittich deserves the least blame.
Perfectly put.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote