Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #41
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Also... would high-sticking even be a penalty anymore...?
Yes, there would just wouldn't be any double minors for blood anymore.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #42
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have never heard the breathing complaint but I have heard the lack of visibility, particularly when looking down. I understand it but if I had a car that cost $6.5 per year I would put it in the garage. Seems like a simple precaution to eliminate tons of lost man hours.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #43
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Yes, there would just wouldn't be any double minors for blood anymore.
The double-minor for blood standard is the stupidest of all NHL penalties. high sticking should be either two- or four-minutes; not subjectively based on an arbitrary measure of stick-force like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #44
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I totally agree.

I thought the second goal was bad, but was sitting right behind Rittich when Boeser scored. Gaudreau in the third period took a shot with less time on an identical setup from the same spot that Markstrom stopped, and it was easily the save of the game.

It's not that the shot was unstoppable, but it was one that would have required an utterly spectacular save like what Markstrom later delivered.
It was the stop of the game, yes. But only because Gaudreau put it right in Markstrom's glove. Higher or lower and it's a goal. Unfortunately, he hit the webbing.

There is no time for goalies to react to those shots. It's all positioning - you get in the best position and hope the shooter hits you.

Gaudreau hit Markstrom's glove. Boeser didn't hit Rittich. That was the difference in the game.

Calling it a bad goal is laughable.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #45
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Boeser goal wasn't a bad goal, but it was a stoppable shot.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #46
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
That Boeser goal wasn't a bad goal, but it was a stoppable shot.
Every shot is essentially a "stoppable shot," but that Boeser goal was a more dangerous shot than the one Markstrom stoned Gaudreau on—which (again) was easily the save of the game. Unlike Gaudreau, Boeser had a lot more time, space, and he is on the whole a better shooter.

That shot is a goal almost every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #47
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1095054684606353408
Old 02-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #48
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Every shot is essentially a "stoppable shot," but that Boeser goal was a more dangerous shot than the one Markstrom stoned Gaudreau on—which (again) was easily the save of the game. Unlike Gaudreau, Boeser had a lot more time, space, and he is on the whole a better shooter.

That shot is a goal almost every time.
Boeser had about three hours to get that shot off. Also that was one hell of a pass from Petterson. The pass was even deflected. That damned Petterson is one hell of a player.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:23 PM   #49
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe the comparison to the Boeser goal was the Mangiapane goal. Was that stoppable?
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #50
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nothing like phone surfing at the beach.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #51
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Nothing like phone surfing at the beach.
You think they browse CP?
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #52
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
You think they browse CP?
If Ference actually registered and made a few posts himself back in the day, I'd say chances aren't bad that we may have players who read the boards secretly from time to time.

Off the top of my head, Tkachuk, Bennett and a newly initiated Lindholm are my hunches for lurkers.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #53
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Of course they could just wear a cage...
I interviewed Conor Garland on Beer League Talk (the dude who plays for the Coyotes and scored a goal off his face against the oilers). He said there weren't any thoughts of wearing a cage after his injury healed up. He thinks they are too bulky and are hard to breathe in.

If any one is interested in hearing it: Conor Garland Interview
Old 02-11-2019, 09:45 PM   #54
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
If Ference actually registered and made a few posts himself back in the day, I'd say chances aren't bad that we may have players who read the boards secretly from time to time.

Off the top of my head, Tkachuk, Bennett and a newly initiated Lindholm are my hunches for lurkers.
Bennett and Jankowski have had coincidental "response" games in recent times after getting singled out on CP. So they wouldn't surprise me.

Lindholm would be a good guess too.

I bet Backlund and Gaudreau have seen things that have been shown to them but they don't strike me as guys that would frequent the site.

And rest Smith's soul if he lurks here. no wonder his confidence hasn't returned. CP is savage.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #55
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Gaudreau has one of the whippiest (high flex) sticks I have ever heard of for a pro hockey player. That's great when you are loading up a wrist shot, as he likes to do. But I think it makes it harder to flip the puck up quickly at high speed IMO.

Not suggesting he needs to change, as I'm sure he knows what he is doing and he obviously isn't the strongest and most leveraged guy in the world. But there is a trade off.

Having a high flex stick definitely does not inhibit lifting the puck in any way. It makes it easier.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #56
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
This "for what it's worth" from Admiral Plain Vanilla is starting to really grind my gears. Rittich is the starter for this team. He's a top ten goalie statistically in the league.

Wills, for whatever reason, has a love for Mike Smith that is irrational and does not line up with Smith's contributions in the past calendar year. He makes little comments like this all the time on twitter and the radio.

Even this morning, the guys on the Fan were completely embarrassing. Warrener with the hot takes about Flames goal tending not being good enough, despite the fact that the Flames aren't even in the conversation for top spot in the West without Rittich. Completely disingenuous. Then they follow that up with the "well if we'd won, it wouldn't have been about Rittich today." If that's the case, then why are we talking about it at all? How about we talk about the Flames forwards rifling the puck repeatedly into Marktstom's chest instead of picking a corner. Or Monahan firing a puck on a 2 on 1 into the corner (of the boards, not the net).

You know who's #1 in the league this season in goals saved above expectation? Rittich. He has had a couple rough games statistically lately, no question. But with the exception of that Kane goal against SJ, I really don't have any issue with anything else he's let in. Flames as a team have been really bad defensively since before the All Star Break, but it was masked by Johnny scoring 2+ points per game. He's slowed down, and all of a sudden we seem mortal again as a team.

Let's mix in some defensive commitment. Guaranteed it will result in better goal tending.
It got confusing this morning on the Fan960 to be sure. At first Rhett told us the Flames should not trade anyone. I get that logic. But then he followed it up with that our goaltending was not okay or not good enough to win (so, doesn’t that imply we should trade to improve it?).

It just seemed like he was grumpy and itching for a fight but Boomer wasn’t having it. Nonetheless a pleasant surprise they actually talked hockey as it’d been a long time since I’d tuned into that show.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:46 PM   #57
erikk3
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Have you guys ever tried wearing a cage? You can't see #### with them on
erikk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:41 AM   #58
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Rittich is more than just good enough - a string of iffy goals aside. I bet he rebounds nicely. I think the Fan960 is off-base on their statements.

What I won't argue with is the question of Rittich rising to the challenge of the playoffs. It is a heck of a lot more pressure, and guys in your face more knowing your tendencies game after game. Until he goes through it, he will be an 'unproven' goaltender. I think he will be fine if I was to guess one way or the other. Flames would not be this high in the standings without him being this competent to begin with. Every single goalie in the NHL has stretches of less than stellar play - Price, Rinne, you name it. Every season. Why should Rittich be so different? I bet he will stop letting those squeakers in, and hopefully after the playoffs we can all say: "Yep, Rittich is a legitimate starter you can count on for the regular season AND playoffs."
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #59
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk3 View Post
Have you guys ever tried wearing a cage? You can't see #### with them on
Depends on the one you're using IMO. Some suck, but that's the same with everything.

Seeing your feet at a glance is more difficult looking straight ahead, mind you. But watch a U18 tournament, and you're not seeing a bunch of players struggling to make great plays.

I think it's just an adjustment
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote