Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2019, 10:46 PM   #1541
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
remember the exciting Kingo Bingo with Don Wood, I believe as the caller. that was exciting TV
Kingo Bingo was awesome. We never won, but came really close quite a few times.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:19 PM   #1542
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not exactly nostalgia related but does anyone have any info on the Beddington/Deerfoot interchange? I'm really curious why the engineers and city would approve an interchange that doesn't access all four directions? I would assume that if they tried to do something like that again the public would be largely against it during open house sessions.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:40 PM   #1543
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Not exactly nostalgia related but does anyone have any info on the Beddington/Deerfoot interchange? I'm really curious why the engineers and city would approve an interchange that doesn't access all four directions? I would assume that if they tried to do something like that again the public would be largely against it during open house sessions.
Gonna bet that it had to do with the fact that there wasn't much of anything north of Beddington back when it was built, and with the railroad tracks and Nose Creek, the extra bridge would have been an expense that everyone paid for, but few benefited from. And now that 96th/Airport Tr. is built, they'll simply never build what you're talking about.

There's a similar situation with Stoney and 96th ave NE. They only built the NB-WB and the EB-SB ramps, so if you're SB on Stoney, you can't go WB, and if you're EB on 96th, you can't go NB. But with that one, they've actually graded the ramps, just not actually built/paved them. They're just putting it off so that parasites like me don't have easy access to Saddleridge Safeway.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #1544
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
I remember Woodwards at the south end. It had both a clothing/department store section and a grocery store. You could put your bagged groceries into a large plastic bin and it went through an underground roller chute and you could pick them up at the little station at the far end of the parking lot.

Holy cow that’s a flashback. I used to shop at that Woodwards quite often!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #1545
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't grow up in Calgary but did spend a couple of summers here, and would periodically pass through town at Christmas if we went skiing to Banff. But do have a couple of memories/nostalgia items:

1. remembering fondly the arcades and head shops that used to be on Stephen Avenue and in the vicinity. My cousin and I spend a lot of time playing video games in them the two summers we were living here.

2. thinking how awesome it was when John Laurie Blvd was built and we could bypass most of Calgary when heading west coming from the north by taking McKnight-John Laurie-14 Street NW - 16 Ave. That seemed to much faster than having to come all the way down to 16th.

On the topic of the TV channel that just had news etc., did Calgary every have one that had airport arrival/departure info? I recall Edmonton having one but never spent enough time in Calgary during the era to see if Calgary had an equivalent.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #1546
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Are you old enough to remember when the zoo had a playground that was on water? Like you'd play around on this big fake boat or something, then you'd jump from block to block on these little ~two foot square islands dotted all over the water. If you missed a landing, you were in the pond soaking wet. I remember my cousin falling in once. What a hilarious way to make a playground. Would have been around 1981 it was like that.
Didn't it have displays for ants in it too?
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrrlGoalie33 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #1547
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still remember that text based news channel on TV. My parents used to watch it all the time.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #1548
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Last edited by ricosuave; 02-04-2019 at 12:26 PM.
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #1549
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post

40 years and nothing has changed in that part of the world.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #1550
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember when the Score (channel 30) only gave box scores and then later highlights. Then they ruined it by having live people on. and then crappy wrestling.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #1551
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Remember when the Score (channel 30) only gave box scores and then later highlights. Then they ruined it by having live people on. and then crappy wrestling.
Yes, do you remember when they first first started and only gave game odds?
Old 02-04-2019, 01:57 PM   #1552
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I remember when that first came on I thought "What a stupid thing", then ended up watching it for hours. Just looking at the scores and stats. I remember waiting the see a Flames result or whatever and I'd leave the room and miss it, then have to wait for it to come around on the rotation again.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #1553
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

When driving down Macleod Trail, will flash back to when their was a Dennys, which I think is still there around 70th Avenue? and the Fullers restaurant pretty much next door. Cant recall if I ever saw another Fullers. If I recall, it was rather Dennys like?
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #1554
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
When driving down Macleod Trail, will flash back to when their was a Dennys, which I think is still there around 70th Avenue? and the Fullers restaurant pretty much next door. Cant recall if I ever saw another Fullers. If I recall, it was rather Dennys like?
the Fullers family went on to found the restaurant chain known as Earls
looooob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:34 PM   #1555
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
And then we had Talking Yellow Pages. The Yellow Pages had that directory of 4-digit codes where you could listen to things like weather, news, sports scores, horoscopes, and other mundane things. In my pre-internet youth I thought that was so modern and current and on-demand.
521-5222

I remember going to work with my parents back in the day and i would use that thing to play these touch tone role playing games...I could check the Flames score (updated every 30 minutes!!!!)...movie reviews...top 10 songs...joke of the day. I could entertain myself for hours with those little 4 digit codes.

Channel 4 taught me how to read as a child. True story.
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #1556
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Quote:
Channel was called Sport Scope back then, iirc.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #1557
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone remember the old White Spots. Not the ones now but the old chainthsg was a steakhouse with kick ass salad bar
There was one on 16th ave where there is a pub now and one on 33 ave sw.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #1558
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Anyone remember the old White Spots. Not the ones now but the old chainthsg was a steakhouse with kick ass salad bar

Yes!! I remember the one on Richmond road vaguely as a small child... I always assumed it was white spots first attempt at expansion? So it wasn’t the same white spot?!!
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #1559
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I remember driving past the White Spot in Forest Lawn and seeing the aftermath of the kid that had been sent on fire. memories
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #1560
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Worst steak i had ever been served in my life. The one on 16 Ave.

It was like a chunk of salt lick that they charred and served as meat.

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time