Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #81
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Toronto Blue Jays have traded catcher Russell Martin to the Los Angeles Dodgers, a source told The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...04232409440257

#Dodgers getting cash to cover significant portion of Martin’s $20M salary in 2019 and parting with two minor leaguers
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #82
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. Get rid of any of the older group.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #83
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I like Russell, but I also like this move.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #84
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Bob Nightengale@BNightengale

Marcus Stroman avoids arbitration this year and gets $7.4 million from #Jays.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #85
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 for 3 on those, good
Old 01-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #86
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Ian Hunter@BlueJayHunter

Russell Martin's rankings among Blue Jays catchers all-time:
wRC+: 103 (1st)
DRS: 21 (1st)
WAR: 8.0 (2nd)
HR: 66 (2nd)
R: 224 (2nd)
OBP: 336 (2nd)
Old 01-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #87
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Can't believe the Jays were able to get rid of Martin. Good move.

Russell seems like a cool dude and a good person, but his MLB skills are done. He's finished as a Major League calibre player.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #88
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Toronto Blue Jays@BlueJays

OFFICIAL: We've acquired SS Ronny Brito and RHP Andrew Sopko from the
@Dodgers in exchange for C Russell Martin and cash considerations.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #89
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Ben Nicholson-Smith@bnicholsonsmith

Brito, 19, hit .288/.352/.489 in rookie ball last year. He ranks 23rd among Dodgers prospects per MLB Pipeline

Sopko, 24, spent last year at high A and AA. He posted a 3.90 ERA with 121 Ks compared to 27 walks in 117.2 total innings. Wasn't among Dodgers' top 30 prospects
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #90
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am sad to see him go. He was such an awesome pro and a pleasure to watch while he was here. I get and agree with the move but it is a bit sad.

Really surprised they were able to get a top 30 prospect out of the deal too. That's nice work.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cross16 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #91
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice. More mud to throw at the wall, prospect wise.

So Jansen starting with Maile and McGuire battling it out for the back up spot.

Pillar next to be traded please and thank you.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #92
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I would say it’s half assed from two perspectives.
1) there are guys still on the roster who will not be part of the futures and who’s value today will be higher than tomorrow. Trade them to get prospects instead of dealing them later when their skills decline.
2) smart signings. There are two ways to go about signing guys. You sign guys who haven’t developed who may go boom or bust (ie: Bautista years back) and let them develop. Not mediocre guys who have little upside. Or you sign a marquee guy and deal him at the deadline for prospects. Baseball is mostly about money chasers so if you give guys money they’ll come here.
1) Who?

2) Well Bautista wasn't a "signing" he was traded for and they got Bautista when he was 27 years old. Extremely atypical development for a hitter at his age who had bounced between several teams before landing in T.O. and see him turn him into a 50 home run hitter at the age of 29. I dunno I feel like that is a pretty tough standard to meet in terms of all players being acquired by Atkins and Co.

Did they not just give a lot of at bats to the likes of Billy Mckinney (former top 100 prospect) and Randall Grichuk (former 1st round pick)? Are they not "boom-bust" guys with high upside?

And since when have the Jays signed marquee free agents? Marquee free agents want money and term and not to play on turf and none of those things are things that the Jays want to do right now.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #93
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Sopko strikes me as a guy that is gonna have to move to the bullpen to make the majors. Averaging a K per inning is nice but the reports I could find online kept having this phrase "a bit to hittable" which to me says that if you cut down his pitches down to his two best and remove the times through the order penalty he could get by in the majors as middle relief arm.

Brito strikes me as the main return here. Apparently the glove is very very good. Universally ranked in various Dodgers top 30 lists (albeit in the back-half).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #94
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
1) Who?

2) Well Bautista wasn't a "signing" he was traded for and they got Bautista when he was 27 years old. Extremely atypical development for a hitter at his age who had bounced between several teams before landing in T.O. and see him turn him into a 50 home run hitter at the age of 29. I dunno I feel like that is a pretty tough standard to meet in terms of all players being acquired by Atkins and Co.

Did they not just give a lot of at bats to the likes of Billy Mckinney (former top 100 prospect) and Randall Grichuk (former 1st round pick)? Are they not "boom-bust" guys with high upside?

And since when have the Jays signed marquee free agents? Marquee free agents want money and term and not to play on turf and none of those things are things that the Jays want to do right now.
I was unclear about the Bautista - I was more referring to high risk, high upside guys moreso that hoping for another replica of Bautista. What's the point of giving a guy a shot when his upside is severely limited? Swing for the fences. I do like the two that you mentioned, but I don't see enough of that with any of these signings. Even today's Martin deal, they didn't get a top 30 prospect, they got a top 30 prospect on the Dodgers, while sucking salary. They're relying on quantity rather than quality to hit quality guys. I'm fine with that to some degree but there isn't much upside in these guys so I'm hoping some of them get packaged for a higher upside guy (if possible).

You may be right on the free agents, but it's still about the money - throw enough and you got a deal.

As for who can still be dealt, simple - first two to start - Pillar, Morales, and Smoak. Then you have Travis who if you can get good value, may not be part of the future. This isn't to mention the pitchers. There are guys to deal who won't get higher value later.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 01:07 AM   #95
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I was unclear about the Bautista - I was more referring to high risk, high upside guys moreso that hoping for another replica of Bautista. What's the point of giving a guy a shot when his upside is severely limited? Swing for the fences. I do like the two that you mentioned, but I don't see enough of that with any of these signings. Even today's Martin deal, they didn't get a top 30 prospect, they got a top 30 prospect on the Dodgers, while sucking salary. They're relying on quantity rather than quality to hit quality guys. I'm fine with that to some degree but there isn't much upside in these guys so I'm hoping some of them get packaged for a higher upside guy (if possible).

You may be right on the free agents, but it's still about the money - throw enough and you got a deal.

As for who can still be dealt, simple - first two to start - Pillar, Morales, and Smoak. Then you have Travis who if you can get good value, may not be part of the future. This isn't to mention the pitchers. There are guys to deal who won't get higher value later.
I like the idea of prospects with high upside too. I guess I am just more in the wait and see side of things before I can really evaluate how any of these deals pan out for the Jays. (And the Dodgers actually have a decent farm system so I think it's alright to be somewhat excited about the piece coming back for Martin.)

I used to hold out hope that the Jays were gonna sign a big named free agent. It just became obvious that the Jays were never going to outspend the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, Nationals etc. So i gave up.

I think a piece that could really fetch a nice piece this season is Ken Giles. If he can get his #### together the Jays could flip him for a pretty nice pool of prospects IMO.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #96
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I like the idea of prospects with high upside too. I guess I am just more in the wait and see side of things before I can really evaluate how any of these deals pan out for the Jays. (And the Dodgers actually have a decent farm system so I think it's alright to be somewhat excited about the piece coming back for Martin.)

I used to hold out hope that the Jays were gonna sign a big named free agent. It just became obvious that the Jays were never going to outspend the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, Nationals etc. So i gave up.

I think a piece that could really fetch a nice piece this season is Ken Giles. If he can get his #### together the Jays could flip him for a pretty nice pool of prospects IMO.

I think we're all in a wait and see mode. I don't give the benefit of the doubt to these guy after severely miscalculating last year. One thing about corporations is you have the vision laid out by upper management, then below that they implement a strategy at a high level. Working in the corporate world it's about how you sell the results often moreso than what was done. Sure they wanted high attendance, but they could've still dealt guys who had little bearing on that - Morales, and maybe even flipped Giles then. I understand at that time selling crowd pleasers like Donaldson (former all star), Pillar (great catches), Martin (nice Canadian guy) and Smoak (home run machine), would be something that upper management within ownership would point the finger at when it comes to attendance drops, but that's up to Shapiro and group to sell that the attendance drop was because of something else. They can't let this nonsense dictate who to sell and who to keep. Especially when some of these remaining guys can bring back decent value. We'll see...

Giles should bring back a kings random if he's consistent this year given the market for consistent closers are always slim.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #97
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Wilner on Twitter:

#Bluejays kicked in $16.4 million of the $20 million owed to Russell Martin to #Dodgers in today’s trade. Also, Atkins says #Jays settled with all arbitration-eligible players but for Ryan Tepera.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 06:26 PM   #98
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now apparently the Phillies are frontrunners for Harper. I still wouldn't be surprised is AA is somehow working on something and finds a way to fly under the radar and sign the guy.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:30 PM   #99
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not surprisingly Axford wants to sign with the Blue Jays again.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...rn-thats-want/
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:33 AM   #100
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd welcome back Axford with open arms no problem.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post: