Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2019, 11:19 PM   #281
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it possible to add a snake for the 88-89 team for comparison? I know there are a different amount of games in a season now, so it's probably pretty tough to chart on this graph, but it would be cool to see a visual comparison.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 11:37 PM   #282
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Is it possible to add a snake for the 88-89 team for comparison? I know there are a different amount of games in a season now, so it's probably pretty tough to chart on this graph, but it would be cool to see a visual comparison.
I think there was one in the past that charted the '89 team. Not difficult at all, really, the '89 team plots the same way as this years, just stops at game 80.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:41 PM   #283
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because of no 3-point games, the black line would probably be closer to between 80 and 90 points as well.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:46 PM   #284
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Because of no 3-point games, the black line would probably be closer to between 80 and 90 points as well.
In 1989 the Chicago Blackhawks made the playoffs with 66 points. They made it all the way to the Conference Finals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:48 PM   #285
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
In 1989 the Chicago Blackhawks made the playoffs with 66 points. They made it all the way to the Conference Finals.
Took the Flames to 5 games if memory serves...
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:00 AM   #286
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Took the Flames to 5 games if memory serves...
Yes, 5 games. They won a game. One more than LA, two less than Vancouver.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #287
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #288
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

You could almost add a line for 90 points which is what the second Wild Card projects at, and another one for 110 which is what the top spot in the Conference is projecting at.

Pretty clear split with the top 5 teams all pacing at 90 points. Than a group of 4 teams at 90 points.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #289
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like every year at this point in the season people mention how the current pace for the playoffs is less than 96 points. But I would mention two things:

1) 96 points is used because that basically guarantees a playoff spot. If memory serves, no team with 96 points has ever missed the playoffs.

2) In the 2nd half, things tighten up and there tends to be more 3-point games. Also, the playoff contending teams tend to acquire more points as the also-rans start to fall off, trade players, tank for draft position etc.

As is the case every year, I am willing to bet that the playoff requirement starts to inch its way up to the mid-nineties from here, as things get more serious in the 2nd half.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #290
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the Flames’ success is starting to divert attention from the true nature of the snek.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #291
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
I think the Flames’ success is starting to divert attention from the true nature of the snek.
Exactly.. This thread is not broken, and has never been broken. Yet people are constantly trying to fix it.

Trust in the snake, and ye shall be set free!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #292
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
1) 96 points is used because that basically guarantees a playoff spot. If memory serves, no team with 96 points has ever missed the playoffs.
No Western Conference team has missed the playoffs with 96 points. In 2015, Boston had 96 points and missed the playoffs. Last season, Florida had 96 points and missed too.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #293
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

The snake was started before 2015, so it is possible the snake could be changed to 97pts in light of this.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #294
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As is the case every year, I am willing to bet that the playoff requirement starts to inch its way up to the mid-nineties from here, as things get more serious in the 2nd half.
Not every year. Not even close. In 2016 the 9th place had 87 points. The playoff teams just had to beat that to make the playoffs.

In 2015 the 9th place team had 82 points. Minnesota made the playoffs comfortably with 87. 2014 it was beat 89 points and you were in.

There's a perspective issue as at this point Colorado will all but guarantee themselves a spot in the playoffs with 90 as they just need to stay above the 9th place team. The Ducks, however, to get favourable odds to make the playoffs would need to get over 90 to pass the Avs. That would take an incredible turn around by the Ducks.

In any case, the 9th place team is currently on a 10 game losing streak and on pace for 84 points. There's only 5 teams in the west on pace for 96 points. This is going to be a year closer to 2015-2016 than 2017-2018. It doesn't matter because the Flames aren't fighting for a playoff spot, they are fighting for the conference trophy.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 01-12-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #295
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
You could almost add a line for 90 points which is what the second Wild Card projects at, and another one for 110 which is what the top spot in the Conference is projecting at.

Pretty clear split with the top 5 teams all pacing at 90 points. Than a group of 4 teams at 90 points.
Please read the original post in this thread for why I won’t do a 90 point line. The whole point of the thread is that you don’t worry about what anyone else is doing. If you hit 96 points, you make that playoffs in the western conference. Due to the two eastern teams not making it with 96 points I might move it to 97 next year. However, I would have to change my name to squiggs97.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #296
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Not every year. Not even close. In 2016 the 9th place had 87 points. The playoff teams just had to beat that to make the playoffs.

In 2015 the 9th place team had 82 points. Minnesota made the playoffs comfortably with 87. 2014 it was beat 89 points and you were in.

There's a perspective issue as at this point Colorado will all but guarantee themselves a spot in the playoffs with 90 as they just need to stay above the 9th place team. The Ducks, however, to get favourable odds to make the playoffs would need to get over 90 to pass the Avs. That would take an incredible turn around by the Ducks.

In any case, the 9th place team is currently on a 10 game losing streak and on pace for 84 points. There's only 5 teams in the west on pace for 96 points. This is going to be a year closer to 2015-2016 than 2017-2018. It doesn't matter because the Flames aren't fighting for a playoff spot, they are fighting for the conference trophy.
It's a question of perspective, but I think 9th place teams' point totals are irrelevant - they don't get you in the playoffs. For a non-playoff team to make the playoffs, they have to pass the 8th place team.

And no one said 96 points are required, the point is that 96 points pretty much guarantees to get it done (without having to follow what other teams are doing)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #297
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Please read the original post in this thread for why I won’t do a 90 point line. The whole point of the thread is that you don’t worry about what anyone else is doing. If you hit 96 points, you make that playoffs in the western conference. Due to the two eastern teams not making it with 96 points I might move it to 97 next year. However, I would have to change my name to squiggs97.
Would you consider a 96-6 line and a 96+1 line? Then you don't have to change your handle!

Just kidding, I'm still trying to get used to the extra crispy chart, but I'm slowly getting there. I don't think I'll ever get used to Canuck and Oiler snakes.

SNAKE! SNAKE! SNAKE! SNAKE!

Plett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #298
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a question of perspective, but I think 9th place teams' point totals are irrelevant - they don't get you in the playoffs.
What?!

If you're in a playoff spot then the 9th place is the only thing that is relevant. Stay above it, and you make the playoffs.

If you're out of a playoff spot, then you must beat the previous 8th spot (bringing them to 9th spot...) to make the playoffs.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #299
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
What?!

If you're in a playoff spot then the 9th place is the only thing that is relevant. Stay above it, and you make the playoffs.

If you're out of a playoff spot, then you must beat the previous 8th spot (bringing them to 9th spot...) to make the playoffs.
But floating around at 89, 90, or 92 points is not always going to get you in. It actually almost never gets a team in. 96-points ENSURES a playoff berth, and pretty much renders irrelevant what every other team is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #300
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What?!

If you’re worried about what 9th place is doing this thread may not be for you.

Less talk more snek.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:

Tags
mcsnake , snake , snakey , snakey mcsnakeface