Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #81
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Yeah. The more I think about whales post.. no way. What a weird thing to lie about.
LOL no reason to lie about beating a deer to death with a snow brush for my own sick pleasure . If you really want I can give you his cell number to confirm with him.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #82
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

This ex cop would have approved of that maneuver!

Old 01-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #83
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
FYI for your buddy, and everyone else...most vehicles have a tire iron,
Yeah, tire iron was always the go to growing up. Unless you're driving something sporty with run-flats, I can't imagine not having one in a vehicle.

If you're Geena Davis you could just snap it's neck I guess.

I carry a buck knife in the truck, but frankly I'd use the tire iron unless it was a doe. Getting speared by an antler always concerned me.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #84
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So....if we were to place a Deer, uninjured, in some sort of caged arena, how many 5 year-olds do you think it would take to bring it down?

Granted the 5-year olds wouldnt have access to a squad car. That would just be irresponsible.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #85
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
LOL no reason to lie about beating a deer to death with a snow brush for my own sick pleasure . If you really want I can give you his cell number to confirm with him.
Not that I doubt the story, but kicking the thing would have been quicker than a snow brush. What do they weigh, half a pound?
Old 01-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #86
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
maybe they should do an audit of the entire lethbridge dettachment or the RCMP as a whole. perhaps there is a culture of officers running over animals with patrol vehicles.

good grief, who of us has not made a mistake at work. it is not like he ran over a kid here.
Wanton animal cruelty is not a mistake. It is rather a sign of sociopathy and psychopathy. Two things we certainly do not want to see in LEO.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #87
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I one time hit a small deer not far from Bragg Creek. Had no service. We dragged it off the road, drove until we had service, then called the RCMP. They said thank you dispatched fish/wildlife or whatever.

This seemed like basic common sense. Unless you're a good couple hours from cell service, I can't imagine landing on "let's kill this animal with a blunt object."
Old 01-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #88
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I one time hit a small deer not far from Bragg Creek. Had no service. We dragged it off the road, drove until we had service, then called the RCMP. They said thank you dispatched fish/wildlife or whatever.

This seemed like basic common sense. Unless you're a good couple hours from cell service, I can't imagine landing on "let's kill this animal with a blunt object."
Really? I mostly drive from Calgary to Banff / Lake Louise / Golden etc. I have really spotty cell service once I leave the city, Freedom Mobile isn't the best for that. So I'm often a half hour from cell service or more. Now, if I drove to where there's cell service and called for help, it might take an hour plus for someone to get dispatched. Do you want to leave the thing suffering for that long? I kind of don't.

Of course, the flip side of this is that it's always possible that a) you've misjudged how badly hurt the animal is and it's going to be fine, or b) further to that, whether it's dying or not, you could get badly hurt by approaching a wounded wild animal (even a deer), which is why even dragging it off the road is potentially inadvisable.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:21 PM   #89
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #90
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #91
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
If you're super close to reception, sure.

I'm often more than an hour away from cell service, and my tire iron comment was from long before anyone drove with a cell phone. So if I'm an hour away, and assuming dispatching fish & wildlife takes some time, and it's not like they're all over the place, so they'll be a while to drive there.

Personally I'd feel better ending it's suffering in a few minutes with a blunt object, rather than it sit on the side of the road with terminal injuries for 2-3 hours. In any rural area around here, I'm guessing that's the case rather than go back to town and call the RCMP.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #92
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's weird about this is that some people are suggesting that there was a problem with his firearm, so he couldn't use that to dispatch the animal and end it's suffering.

I'm sorry, but you have a pistol sidearm, a shotgun with a full loadout of ammo types (i.e. buckshot, slugs) and typically a service rifle/carbine. Pick whichever will be the best for the job and do the poor animal a favour. Were all two or three broken? If so, maybe you shouldn't be out on the streets.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #93
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
What's weird about this is that some people are suggesting that there was a problem with his firearm, so he couldn't use that to dispatch the animal and end it's suffering.

I'm sorry, but you have a pistol sidearm, a shotgun with a full loadout of ammo types (i.e. buckshot, slugs) and typically a service rifle/carbine. Pick whichever will be the best for the job and do the poor animal a favour. Were all two or three broken? If so, maybe you shouldn't be out on the streets.
Hide your Doe’s
Hide your Fawn’s
Cause we runnin over erythang out here.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #94
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #95
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Really? I mostly drive from Calgary to Banff / Lake Louise / Golden etc. I have really spotty cell service once I leave the city, Freedom Mobile isn't the best for that. So I'm often a half hour from cell service or more. Now, if I drove to where there's cell service and called for help, it might take an hour plus for someone to get dispatched. Do you want to leave the thing suffering for that long? I kind of don't.

Of course, the flip side of this is that it's always possible that a) you've misjudged how badly hurt the animal is and it's going to be fine, or b) further to that, whether it's dying or not, you could get badly hurt by approaching a wounded wild animal (even a deer), which is why even dragging it off the road is potentially inadvisable.
And, you know, the horrific experience of bludgeoning a screaming animal to a far more traumatic death. That old chestnut.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #96
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, it depends; if you have a bowie knife (or an axe, or something that can quickly and cleanly administer a coup de grace) in your car you could make it pretty quick and non-traumatic, at least for the animal.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 01-10-2019 at 03:07 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #97
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, it depends; if you have a bowie knife (or an axe, or something that can quickly and cleanly administer a coup de gras) in your car you could make it pretty quick and non-traumatic, at least for the animal.
For sure. And although it turns my stomach to think about it, you would almost be obligated to do that if you had a proper tool. Like a snow brush.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:51 PM   #98
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I was really hoping it was some kind of satire piece. Trying to come up with something stupider than repeatedly running it over.

Stunned that it’s real, and I’ll call it a tie.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #99
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I was really hoping it was some kind of satire piece. Trying to come up with something stupider than repeatedly running it over.

Stunned that it’s real, and I’ll call it a tie.
I'm trying to make a mental image.

One guy is crying the entire time.

the two guys are taking turns hitting the deer with a snowbrush. its almost comedic if not how tragically sad it would be, if real.

how does one even bash the skull in of a deer with a snow brush?? were you swatting it like a bat, or, driving it like a stabbing motion?

Last edited by White Out 403; 01-10-2019 at 03:30 PM.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #100
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
For sure. And although it turns my stomach to think about it, you would almost be obligated to do that if you had a proper tool. Like a snow brush.
How about a Melon Baller?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: