Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #1321
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spurs pulled out the win today and are halfway there against Chelsea. I’m sure that City will batter Burton tomorrow and leave no doubt about that side of the final.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #1322
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

What am I missing here? Dembele transfer is only £11m. Low even if he’s injury prone. High Chinese wages?

I’d gladly take him at United.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46792282
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #1323
leah12
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
What am I missing here? Dembele transfer is only £11m. Low even if he’s injury prone. High Chinese wages?

He's thirty-one years old and can leave on a free this summer. The eleven million pounds is a steal for Spurs given that fact that he's injured and might only play a few more matches for them before leaving in the summer anyway.
leah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:28 AM   #1324
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a shame because when he’s healthy, he’s just incredible. He’s such a stabilizer in midfield and I’d put him among the best in the league for sure. The problem is that his health just isn’t there. He did play some larger minutes in some games this season, but then he gets hurt again and he’s out far too often. I think I would prefer to keep him for the £11m and get those limited minutes, but I’m not the manager!
Old 01-09-2019, 06:31 AM   #1325
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

always really liked Dembele. Only 31 too, it's a shame that another great player ends up in Chinese football exile.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:44 AM   #1326
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean exile is a bit much, yeah you gotta put up with the smog and lack of freedom, but you do so for utterly stupid money. As of yet I haven't heard any players getting stiffed so for a couple years its probably worth it. Soon we'll here he's on more a week than Kane.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 AM   #1327
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean exile is a bit much, yeah you gotta put up with the smog and lack of freedom, but you do so for utterly stupid money. As of yet I haven't heard any players getting stiffed so for a couple years its probably worth it. Soon we'll here he's on more a week than Kane.
The air quality might not be great, but the "freedom" aspect seems a little overblown to me. I've been there a couple of times, basically all over the country, and it doesn't seem repressive or anything. I realise that I'm there as a foreigner, and yeah of course I've heard the stories, but it's not exactly a dark and soulless kind of vibe there either.

That said, when I hear that Malcom might go from Madrid to Guangzhou I wonder how that could be attractive. I mean Madrid is supposed to be an incredible city in general, and Guangzhou surely can't compete on that level!
Old 01-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #1328
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The air quality might not be great, but the "freedom" aspect seems a little overblown to me. I've been there a couple of times, basically all over the country, and it doesn't seem repressive or anything. I realise that I'm there as a foreigner, and yeah of course I've heard the stories, but it's not exactly a dark and soulless kind of vibe there either.

That said, when I hear that Malcom might go from Madrid to Guangzhou I wonder how that could be attractive. I mean Madrid is supposed to be an incredible city in general, and Guangzhou surely can't compete on that level!
Money, money, money!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #1329
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Money, money, money!
Yeah, I guess. But really, you're at Madrid and have a legitimate shot at winning basically everything, and it's not as though you're a pauper. I mean I guess money talks, and a guy in my bracket would cash the cheque, but it seems crazy.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #1330
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Malcom is at Barca and not Madrid. And yeah it seems crazy to want to leave a top club for China, but the money is that stupid. Paulinho didn't go to Barca last year for any other reason but to get on the Brazil WC squad. He said he was taking a pay cut to be there from China, and now he's right back.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #1331
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Malcom is at Barca and not Madrid. And yeah it seems crazy to want to leave a top club for China, but the money is that stupid. Paulinho didn't go to Barca last year for any other reason but to get on the Brazil WC squad. He said he was taking a pay cut to be there from China, and now he's right back.
Right Barca, but still same applies!
Old 01-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #1332
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man City should be required to get to 20 in this tie in order to win it.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #1333
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, 9-0?! I guess road goals don’t count, so maybe Burton has a chance!
Old 01-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #1334
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some great transfer window happenings right now. First, apparently West Ham was offered $35m for Arnautovic by a club in China. They said he's not for sale, but his agent said that he wants to leave and the club has been given a good offer and they should take it.

And earlier today Unai Emery says that they can only sign players on loan and can't afford any transfer fees. It's probably because its Stan Kroenke, but I also wonder about the sustainability of the fees we've seen in general? Most clubs have spent piles of money, and at some point if you're spending that money and not getting results it has to stop somewhere? It's one thing when it's Spurs and people chalk it up to Levy being cheap or the stadium. But if other clubs are forced to reduce their spend it seems more questionable.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #1335
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Some great transfer window happenings right now. First, apparently West Ham was offered $35m for Arnautovic by a club in China. They said he's not for sale, but his agent said that he wants to leave and the club has been given a good offer and they should take it.
even better. He said that he wants to leave because he wants to challenge for titles lol. That's by far the dumbest "reason" for wanting to go to China I've heard so far. Everybody knows why he wants to move there, why not be honest for a change?

And man, for the sake of our national team I sincerely hope he doesn't go. He's way too young and way too good to already mail it in ...
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 01:09 AM   #1336
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post

The china thing been rumored for over a year, he wants the final contract $$$$
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 06:44 AM   #1337
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

West Ham up 1-0 against Arsenal now. Hopefully that goal will make things interesting, it was an absolute snoozefest in the first half.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #1338
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Good win for the Hammers, but it really seems like Arnautovic's off to China.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #1339
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

not a bad strike ... not bad at all.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1084108936452677637
Old 01-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #1340
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Salah penalty is a perfect example of a play simultaneously being a penalty AND a dive. There's contact and a foul, but then Salah's reaction is as if he's been taken out by someone on the grassy knoll. Situations like that I wish they'd just call it a wash and have it be a drop ball.