Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-03-2019, 07:10 AM   #101
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I hope this year makes SN look silly enough that we start seeing a shift in Ontario coverage. There is no way a perennial loser in 23rd should be getting such detailed coverage while a Canadian team fights their other favourite Canadian team for 2nd in the league.

Not only is it a pain to carry multiple SN channels to (maybe) watch the Flames game... but it'd be damn nice if any place around here carried a game for once.

As it is now, watching a game is annoying the bartender, then annoying the bartender again and again as they change the channel throughout the game. Oilers are on all the time seemingly, and as such everyone around here seems to know a fair bit about the Oilers. The Flames? "oh, I didn't know they were having a good year!"

There will be Flames fans here if they could watch the damn games. Hell, maybe SN would see an uptick in this timeslot if they ever showed good hockey on it. People have to dig to be a Flames fan out here. And you damn well do it in the privacy of your own home. Shame for a team having the year they're having. But that's what you get when your sports coverage has such a strong bias towards such a small part of the league.
Ha ha ha. Is there anything less Canadian than Ontario?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:14 AM   #102
Split98
Franchise Player
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Ha ha ha. Is there anything less Canadian than Ontario?
Super Canadian if it fits into one of the 3-4 teams they'll hear about!

It'll be a weird day when I don't have to explain that 2 teams play in Alberta!
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #103
Voodooman
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Exp:
Default

What really ticked me off last night (at least on my Shaw feed) was SNW cutting right away to the s###ty Coilers game, when that game was already on SNOne. So great, now I get 2 channels of that hot garbage, and no Flames post-game. And when I flip to TSN for the highlight package, they finally get around to a 90 second recap after discussing the juniors ad nauseum (fair), a ton of Raptors hype (that no one outside the GTA gives a flying #### about), and 25 minutes on the lack of Leaf selections to the ASG.

I hate SN, but TSN has become far, far worse outside of Jay & Dan.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #104
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000
 
Toonage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Sportsnet has these overrun channels like Sportsnet Flames & Oilers. Its a shame they can't (won't?) use these to broadcast extensive post game coverage after the game itself wraps up on whichever other SN channel is showing it.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #105
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
What really ticked me off last night (at least on my Shaw feed) was SNW cutting right away to the s###ty Coilers game, when that game was already on SNOne. So great, now I get 2 channels of that hot garbage, and no Flames post-game. And when I flip to TSN for the highlight package, they finally get around to a 90 second recap after discussing the juniors ad nauseum (fair), a ton of Raptors hype (that no one outside the GTA gives a flying #### about), and 25 minutes on the lack of Leaf selections to the ASG.

I hate SN, but TSN has become far, far worse outside of Jay & Dan.
TSN has always been Toronto biased but when they lost out on the NHL to RSN they really had no choice but to go all in on Toronto sports coverage to maintain ratings as nobody in Ontario will tune in to see Western Canadian sports stories. It's just the way it is.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:54 AM   #106
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player
 
Huntingwhale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

If you have GC and want a game recap, switch to the opposing team's feed when it ends. If it's an American team, it's almost always a good hour recap.

Still funny reading people's issues with SN...when there are some great 'alternative' feeds available a couple clicks away on certain sites. I struggled with GC for the last 2 years, and finally gave up and switched to a sweet 60fps stream site this season. Best decision ever.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #107
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets
 
Hemi-Cuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: slightly to the left
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I have access to games through Shaw Freerange and TSN Live, but it seems to me like the 6600 kbps streams on reddit are better quality.
TSN Live is noticeably crappier compared to Sportsnet Now. It seems like TSN is locked to 30 fps for their online broadcasts whereas Sportsnet is 60 fps, which make a huge difference. I'm quite glad they don't have any national NHL rights now since their product is quite inferior
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #108
1991 Canadian
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Exp:
Default

In general, I find it hard to complain about the Flames media coverage. I’m not even that old, but I remember how paltry it used to be, particularly on the television side. Local blackouts. Paying $10 a game for Flames PPV. Seeing 2x the amount the Oilers games as Flames games on Sportsnet West. Getting 5-6 TSN games. 5-6 HNIC games.

Nowadays, I get all 82 games on Sportsnet. 60 or so regionally. 20 or so nationally. One of the better broadcast tandems in the NHL. 2 daily sports radio talk shows, one more lighthearted, one more typical sports nerd talk. 3 solid The Athetlic writers and 2-3 local newspaper writers.

The Flames are a historically mediocre midmarket team. Our coverage is pretty damn good considering this.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1991 Canadian For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #109
Split98
Franchise Player
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
If you have GC and want a game recap, switch to the opposing team's feed when it ends. If it's an American team, it's almost always a good hour recap.

Still funny reading people's issues with SN...when there are some great 'alternative' feeds available a couple clicks away on certain sites. I struggled with GC for the last 2 years, and finally gave up and switched to a sweet 60fps stream site this season. Best decision ever.
Alternative feeds or not, SN is the 'home' broadcast of the Flames. Unless you're talking about avoiding the rolling fog/immediate game end by watching a unfettered SNW - which requires a more tech-savvy than you'd expect to watch hockey.

There's some great coverage from the bad-guys, but there's also some unwatchable homerism that's tough to get through depending on who we play.
The post-game stuff is also typically 90% the bad-guys.

SN would be the only network capable of giving Flames fan a fun broadcast, but they're not interested in covering the team that way.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:32 AM   #110
Split98
Franchise Player
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
In general, I find it hard to complain about the Flames media coverage. I’m not even that old, but I remember how paltry it used to be, particularly on the television side. Local blackouts. Paying $10 a game for Flames PPV. Seeing 2x the amount the Oilers games as Flames games on Sportsnet West. Getting 5-6 TSN games. 5-6 HNIC games.

Nowadays, I get all 82 games on Sportsnet. 60 or so regionally. 20 or so nationally. One of the better broadcast tandems in the NHL. 2 daily sports radio talk shows, one more lighthearted, one more typical sports nerd talk. 3 solid The Athetlic writers and 2-3 local newspaper writers.

The Flames are a historically mediocre midmarket team. Our coverage is pretty damn good considering this.
The Oilers are historically a far worse mid-market team that played well in the 80s. They have fantastic coverage, updates on their players, constant analysis and it would be fun to have a nod every so often.

On the flipside, there are great Flames games that receive a condensed highlight pack only to spend 20 mins breaking down any Oiler win. It's obviously tilted and we're finally a team worth watching. It would be fun to be a part of the hockey conversation as a Flames fan. Most of all (for me), I'm sick and tired of talking about a team every single year that has accomplished absolutely nothing.

The irritant is that this is fixable, and boils down to SN understanding that the market of Flames fans exists. As I said earlier, there's potential for that time slot to do better when you show a good game.

The networks shape people's opinions and conversations about hockey. Talk to any casual hockey fan, and they'd know very little about the #1 in the league TBL. This isn't 'news', it's entertainment. I'm tired of the narrative they keep writing that involves the Oilers being the next big thing and ignoring every great player and team in the league that doesn't affect their bottom line enough. Around here anyway, SN and TSN ruin a lot of fun hockey conversations unless I'm willing to gab about Draisaitl and Reilly for an hour.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #111
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

The national contract is such that the Flames get 62 games regionally and 20 games nationally. Because Sportsnet has the national contract, they can up the number of regional games which are shown nationally (I think the max they can show is 41. The number is probably 39 because that gives them some leeway if they want to add a few key games later in the season).

If TSN were to take over the Flames regional rights, because they don't have national rights the number of Flames games shown nationally would drop significantly from the 39 it is now to 20.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey Fan #751 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #112
Fire
Franchise Player
 
Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Alternative feeds or not, SN is the 'home' broadcast of the Flames. Unless you're talking about avoiding the rolling fog/immediate game end by watching a unfettered SNW - which requires a more tech-savvy than you'd expect to watch hockey.

There's some great coverage from the bad-guys, but there's also some unwatchable homerism that's tough to get through depending on who we play.
The post-game stuff is also typically 90% the bad-guys.

SN would be the only network capable of giving Flames fan a fun broadcast, but they're not interested in covering the team that way.
A good option for after a Flames home game is to watch the "Alberta Ram Dealers Post-Game Show" hosted by Brendan Parker on Youtube. It's usually quite good.
__________________

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #113
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player
 
GreenLantern2814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
In general, I find it hard to complain about the Flames media coverage. I’m not even that old, but I remember how paltry it used to be, particularly on the television side. Local blackouts. Paying $10 a game for Flames PPV. Seeing 2x the amount the Oilers games as Flames games on Sportsnet West. Getting 5-6 TSN games. 5-6 HNIC games.

Nowadays, I get all 82 games on Sportsnet. 60 or so regionally. 20 or so nationally. One of the better broadcast tandems in the NHL. 2 daily sports radio talk shows, one more lighthearted, one more typical sports nerd talk. 3 solid The Athetlic writers and 2-3 local newspaper writers.

The Flames are a historically mediocre midmarket team. Our coverage is pretty damn good considering this.
The Flames coverage specifically is terrific. The Fan does their job about as well as you could ask. On the TV side, Ball and Hrudey/Campbell is a national quality team.

The visual quality of the broadcast has been a problem for a decade. On TSN, the colors pop. On Sportsnet, most games look like they're being played with half the lights off. I don't know why, I don't know if it's just a knob someone at Roger's needs to twist, but this is the age of 4K. Please, somebody, sort this out.

It is a true travesty that we don't get to hear Cuthbert and Gord Miller call Flames hockey anymore.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #114
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player
 
GreenLantern2814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Around here anyway, SN and TSN ruin a lot of fun hockey conversations unless I'm willing to gab about Draisaitl and Reilly for an hour.
Re: Draisaitl. "LOL $8.5M" stops a lot of Draisaitl talk. Tell them thanks for sewering the salary structure of every other RFA because you didn't have the wit or foresight to sign Draisaitl before McDavid.

Re: Reilly. "Gio's better in every way".

Nobody gives it to you. You have to take it.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #115
RM14
Powerplay Quarterback
 
RM14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Sportsnet has these overrun channels like Sportsnet Flames & Oilers. Its a shame they can't (won't?) use these to broadcast extensive post game coverage after the game itself wraps up on whichever other SN channel is showing it.
SN Flsmes should just stream 960 all day until flames games start. 24 hours Calgary Sports Channel.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #116
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Exp:
Default

If you're wondering why one company's product (Flames on Rogers Sportsnet) doesn't look good on its rival's delivery system (say, oh, Shaw or Bell for instance) then you aren't thinking hard enough.
skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skeena1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2019, 06:44 AM   #117
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player
 
Tsawwassen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Exp:
Default

Here we go again. The Flames-Flyers game is not nationally televised in Canada even though it is a Saturday. The irony is that the game is on national TV in the USA on the NHL Network. The strange thing is that Sportsnet has had a crush on the Flyers this season showing them 6 times so for on Saturdays. The irony is that in 4 weeks, the Oilers at Flyers game is on Sportsnet nationally.
__________________
Remember this, TSN stands for Toronto's Sports Network!
MOD EDIT: Removed broken image link.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #118
squiggs96
Franchise Player
 
squiggs96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Section 203
Exp:
Default

That’s not what irony means, Alanis.
__________________
My thanks equals mod team endorsement of your post.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #119
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback
 
theinfinitejar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeena1 View Post
If you're wondering why one company's product (Flames on Rogers Sportsnet) doesn't look good on its rival's delivery system (say, oh, Shaw or Bell for instance) then you aren't thinking hard enough.
Are you suggesting Rogers' deliberately makes Flames' games look worse in a market they don't even offer TV service in?
__________________
Fire Dave Cameron.

Into the Sun.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theinfinitejar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2019, 12:01 AM   #120
Jay Random
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
That’s not what irony means, Alanis.
‘It's like goldy and bronzy, only it's made of iron.’ —S. Baldrick
__________________
WARNING: The preceding message may not have been processed in a sarcasm-free facility.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:06 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016