Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #181
sixpacked
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
. IMO the best part of the show is when they bring in guys like Jason La Canfora to talk NFL as it's real professional sports talk radio for about five minutes regarding a sport that's almost as popular in Canada as the NHL.
NFL as popular as NHL in Canada??? Don't thinks so, cut 'er back about 15% there squirelly Dan. Got any recent numbers?
Old 12-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #182
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
How would one know seeing hockey takes up 80% of their daily programming...
It’s a hunch, but I would imagine by comparing station ratings the other 20% of the time.

Quote:
Hopefully Kirch realizes that people like me (a listener since the original Team radio in 2001) are the core listeners and he would be wise not to alienate them as unlike Flames fans core listeners also listen in the summer and our listening habits don't live and die with the Flames.
Who belongs to “the core listeners”? Are they all so like-minded? Are there other demographics the station is perhaps more concerned about? Since the station’s success depends largely on knowing the answers to these questions I would imagine that Kirch probably has a good grasp on how to cater to the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #183
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Changes to Fan 960 in new year "take that Calgary Puck"

Nm. Wrong thread.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:44 PM   #184
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Peter Klein is terrible, I find him just like the rappers that get paid in the background to repeat what the main rapper it's saying.
I like Peter. He seems like a really good guy, but he has to play to the “seniority” of the conversation as a newer guy tying to forge his own career. He ends up backing off his opinions really easier when he’s with the bigger name personalities.

Peter: offers his take
Boomer: I don’t agree
Peter: oh, no, don’t get me wrong. I agree with you but maybe my take is a little bit right, but you’re probably right, so yeah, I’ll go along with your take.

Last edited by mikeecho; 12-27-2018 at 09:46 PM.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #185
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopydrew19 View Post
I can’t stand Wills’ cadence, improper syllabic emphasis and forced inflection.

It sounds like a mixture of hickory dickery dock and constipation
He sounds like Kermit the Frog to me.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 09:54 PM   #186
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
I like Peter. He seems like a really good guy, but he has to play to the “seniority” of the conversation as a newer guy tying to forge his own career. He ends up backing off his opinions really easier when he’s with the bigger name personalities.

Peter: offers his take
Boomer: I don’t agree
Peter: oh, no, don’t get me wrong. I agree with you but maybe my take is a little bit right, but you’re probably right, so yeah, I’ll go along with your take.
For being a professional broadcaster, Peter says "Ummm" waaay too much.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:03 PM   #187
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
He sounds like Kermit the Frog to me.
Guy Smiley IMO, especially when he's calling flames goals.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 10:27 PM   #188
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
For being a professional broadcaster, Peter says "Ummm" waaay too much.
He’s still a 1000% better than marble mouth Will Neault’s fan960 shop talk & fantasy football takes.

Peter isn’t perfect, but he’s the best option by a long shot.

Now if only they could punt Warrener for Versteeg or Sarich.

At least Peter’s takes aren’t the equivalent of something stolen from the town drunk like Will.

“I think Connor McDavid will make $9.7 million.”

“Brodie isn’t playing well... they should healthy scratch him.”

Wow! He really digs deep for those hot takes!!
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #189
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ As it just happened while I'm listening to him, thought I'd point out once again that Nault interrupted his guest to blurt out a pointless comment.

Maddening.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #190
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

edit. wrong thread
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #191
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Nothing like a healthy helping of Spite for Christmas.

I was unaware of our ongoing feud with the Fan960.

There is NO "Feud" it's all a creation of the media to get more listeners and sell more overpriced advertising spots. Nothing but Fake News here people.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:46 PM   #192
Caboose
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I originally read through this thread a few days ago, and let it sit a bit before I responded.

A few of the posts in here make me question humanity a little bit. The amount of personal hatred towards specific 960 personalities is just so strange to me. They're a group of guys doing a job and talking about sports on the radio. If you hate them with all of your hates....turn them off! And leave them off!

None of us are perfect. The people dishing out this less than constructive criticism are also not perfect. They screw up their jobs too. I have many great stories about huge work messes caused by myself. It's human nature and it's fine. Steinberg, Pinder, Boomer and the rest are not perfect radio hosts. In some of our opinions, they may even be bad. But they do not deserve to be called "garbage," or "marble mouth," or the rest of the crap given to them on this thread.

I have favorites on the station and hosts that I'd rather not listen to, but when they're on, I simply find something else to listen to. It's not that difficult to find something other than the Fan to listen to for an hour or so. In general, I appreciate their coverage and just enjoy getting the info that they provide, just like I browse CP for info, because in between some trolls and foolish people, there are SureLoss's and AC's giving great content.

Just....don't hate. It doesn't make sense. You screw up too, and fortunately for you, there aren't thousands of people listening or watching when you do.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:17 PM   #193
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel that in general the CP collective dislikes the majority of sports media guys
Old 12-29-2018, 12:15 AM   #194
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I feel that in general the CP collective dislikes the majority of sports media guys
Or... the people that dislike a particular figure tend to be more vocal than those that like them. It only takes a handful of dissenters to sound like a mob.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 12:23 AM   #195
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like Warrener. He has a ton of personality and insight of an NHL player.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 12:46 AM   #196
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
How would one know seeing hockey takes up 80% of their daily programming. If you are talking about that awful one hour MLB show they do at lunch in the summer then no kidding ratings would drop as that was awful. IMO the best part of the show is when they bring in guys like Jason La Canfora to talk NFL as it's real professional sports talk radio for about five minutes regarding a sport that's almost as popular in Canada as the NHL. I'm sure ratings would drop with Rome because there is a specific group of listeners that only care about hockey but it's also a very narrow focus to cater to. Hopefully Kirch realizes that people like me (a listener since the original Team radio in 2001) are the core listeners and he would be wise not to alienate them as unlike Flames fans core listeners also listen in the summer and our listening habits don't live and die with the Flames.

Disagree entirely. If you’re tuning in to Calgary’s local sports radio show to hear opinions about the NFL or basketball or soccer you’re doing it wrong.

When I tune in I want to hear about hockey and the flames because that’s what they know and what they do best. If I want to hear about the NFL I’ll tune in elsewhere...which will be way better than whatever the Fan can come up with. Why would you be listening to a small market Canadian radio show to get news and insights about the NFL or MLB. It’s fine to give us a couple spots as they do now but 80% of the content should be focused on hockey.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 01:50 AM   #197
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
I originally read through this thread a few days ago, and let it sit a bit before I responded.

A few of the posts in here make me question humanity a little bit. The amount of personal hatred towards specific 960 personalities is just so strange to me. They're a group of guys doing a job and talking about sports on the radio. If you hate them with all of your hates....turn them off! And leave them off!

None of us are perfect. The people dishing out this less than constructive criticism are also not perfect. They screw up their jobs too. I have many great stories about huge work messes caused by myself. It's human nature and it's fine. Steinberg, Pinder, Boomer and the rest are not perfect radio hosts. In some of our opinions, they may even be bad. But they do not deserve to be called "garbage," or "marble mouth," or the rest of the crap given to them on this thread.

I have favorites on the station and hosts that I'd rather not listen to, but when they're on, I simply find something else to listen to. It's not that difficult to find something other than the Fan to listen to for an hour or so. In general, I appreciate their coverage and just enjoy getting the info that they provide, just like I browse CP for info, because in between some trolls and foolish people, there are SureLoss's and AC's giving great content.

Just....don't hate. It doesn't make sense. You screw up too, and fortunately for you, there aren't thousands of people listening or watching when you do.
I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment and tone but I also think you may be reading too much into what people are saying. People can have an opinion and write it and still not be “all fired up” or “full of hate”.

I don’t hate these people. In fact I doubt anyone who posts on this message board does. We are expressing our observations and opinions and it doesn’t have to be all roses and sunshine. In fact, if these radio hosts read this site and I suspect they do, they could take feedback like mine as a positive or as constructive and maybe think about how they could be even better.

Not talking about anything but nachos and fantasy picks for an hour every morning is not “screwing up” but is “screwing around”. I try not to do that at work too and I’m definitely not perfect and welcome criticism at my work. That’s how I get better, by listening to that advice, introspection and then trying to change what I’m doing. It doesn’t mean my audience hates me if they’re telling me what they think I should be doing differently.

In fact- quite the opposite... if I didn’t care at all I wouldn’t even bother posting about it. So maybe they should take that as some positivity. I know that when these dudes actually do their jobs they’re pretty good at it and I like their insight. They should try harder.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #198
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Disagree entirely. If you’re tuning in to Calgary’s local sports radio show to hear opinions about the NFL or basketball or soccer you’re doing it wrong.

When I tune in I want to hear about hockey and the flames because that’s what they know and what they do best. If I want to hear about the NFL I’ll tune in elsewhere...which will be way better than whatever the Fan can come up with. Why would you be listening to a small market Canadian radio show to get news and insights about the NFL or MLB. It’s fine to give us a couple spots as they do now but 80% of the content should be focused on hockey.
It is...in fact i would wager its even higher than that.

Here's the problem though.....people tune in at different times. Just because someone listens for 45 minutes at a certain point in the morning (for example 7-7:45) it doesn't mean what they hear at that time is all that was talked about for the full 5 hours of the show.

The truth is, as already mentioned, that they simply cannot come up with that much content from focusing on one single subject all day and every day.

Again, a game lasts for 2 1/2 hours. How can someone then extrapolate 4 or 5 hours of commentary and observations from that? It is simply not possible to do and keep the attention of tens of thousands of listeners. And that's on days after a game, doing so on a day after they didn't play is asinine.

Hell it's hard to do for one hour every single day which is why guys like Friedman and Burke are dropped in during the week. It not only fills time but gives listeners a different voice and often a different perspective.

It's a SPORTS station, not a HOCKEY station and even knowing where their bread is buttered, it is very wise to talk other subjects including non-sports banter at times. The majority of their audience are not "hard-core Flames only" people , so there has to be variety.

As it is on a typical game day, they talk about the team on and off from 5-10 AM and again from 12-5 PM. Then 2 hours of pre-game stuff from 5-7. Then the game itself from 7-10. Then post game stuff anywhere from 10PM til at least midnight.

Thats 15 freaking hours of Flames/hockey talk every game day....and its not enough?
Old 12-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #199
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

It’s definitely not more than 80% man. Not even more than 70% content is hockey. I’d put it at just over half.

There are tons of satellite radio alternatives for the NFL or MLB. Listening about the NBA- there’s a reason the morning show guys mock it a bit. It’s just not that popular here.

You know what is popular here? The Flames. They do a couple shows a week with La Canfora blabbing extensively about boring crap and then they have Rome. There’s enough other sports IMO. Plus the NFL sucks. It’s more commercials than sport.

But this just goes to show you can’t please everyone.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #200
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not even much of an NFL fan and I tune in for Flames talk, but I do still enjoy the Jason La Canfora segments. He is just an encyclopedia of knowledge. I don’t need to hear much more than that from the guys here beyond that though.