Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2018, 10:41 PM   #141
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
Yikes, without Boomer I probably wouldn't listen to the fan at all.
I like Boomer, but I didn't discover this show until I moved back to Calgary a few years ago and all I had ever known was Boomer, Rhett & Pinder version of it..I'm struggling with it more than I expected to in the sans-Pinder version. That and the artist of the day has gotten 100% worse without Pinder's influence. Country or dad-style soft rock every day, it's unbearable.

I still listen to the morning show daily on my morning commute, but Pinder & Steinberg has definitely become my favourite show on 960 now.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 10:53 PM   #142
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
People in Boston pronounce it with two syllables and don’t even bother with the ‘r’

Those people are among the worst of all
Completely off-topic, but your mention of Boston accents triggered me about how much I dislike Boston accents. Family Guy, the 04 Red Sox, and The Departed somehow made people think it's a charming, fun to imitate accent the past decade plus. It's borderline nails on a chalk board to me. I don't think I'd hate it so much if it wasn't so popular, I'll never understand it.

And back to OP, agreed that I think it's just Kirsch poking fun at our over-speculation.

Last edited by Sainters7; 12-27-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:36 PM   #143
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So around the clock hockey? I love hockey but being a real sports fan in Canada kind of blows as there's just too much hockey coverage. How many times in a day can you hear guys talk about the same hockey talk and over? The afternoon show has been largely redundant for some time because they end up discussing the same topics as the morning guys and now it's going to be non-stop?
This is not very accurate because the morning show is predominantly about food and useless idiotic things from what I can tell?

Do they even talk hockey in the morning at all?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:45 PM   #144
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

They should have an "Edmonton is No Good Show."
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:52 PM   #145
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys KNOW the 960 people read the forum. So... who would you want to see/hear on the station? Talking about what?

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 12:09 AM   #146
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
You guys KNOW the 960 people read the forum. So... who would you want to see/hear on the station? Talking about what?
Have the sarcastic player profile at the same time every morning!

And I'd also be very ok if they brought back Walkers weekly 'That's stupid' segmemt.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:33 AM   #147
Don Benji
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
Have the sarcastic player profile at the same time every morning!

And I'd also be very ok if they brought back Walkers weekly 'That's stupid' segmemt.
To each his own. I can't stand walker. Yuk yuks wannabe.
Don Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Benji For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 01:33 AM   #148
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Icon59 <--- no good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
The "Edmonton is No Good Show" would be Box Office Boffo. No shortage of material and a likely large audience.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 07:39 AM   #149
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A female voice.

Baseball outside of the games themselves. With someone knowledgeable.

I actually kind of like the odd 'out of market' show. They could alternate between their other stations 'best of' segments daily.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:58 AM   #150
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, the problem with 960 has always been that talent doesn't want to work in a small market like Calgary. Not sure a generic job posting is going to fix that. What do they expect? Someone to walk off the street and carry a solo show for three hours?

The more I think about it, this station is actually likely to get worse with more locally produced shows. Would make more sense if they teamed up with Vancouver and Edmonton to produce a 'Hockey Central West' show from 9-12 and carry it live across three markets, then maybe Rogers would give an actual budget to hire guys with.

Yikes.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #151
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I’m glad I’m not the only person that has noticed the fan has changed for the worse. It needs more structure and better talent and It seems like a free for all and inconsistent.
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #152
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wish the market could support a TSN option as well. With some legit competition both stations would be forced to put their best foot forward everyday. I listen to the morning show (which ultimately I enjoy) but the arrogance when they are talking about food for 20 minutes straight and dare listeners to change the station when they text in to complain.

I have really enjoyed Pinder’s move to the afternoon and think he and Steinberg work well together. I really couldn’t stand Kerr and I wasn’t a fan or Pat either but I really think it was the fact Kerr was so bad he drug Pat down with him. Since Pinder moved to the afternoon I have enjoyed Pat a little more.

I am not a big Rome fan but I don’t mind him sometimes. I am a huge Flames, NFL, and NBA fan. We are in the best 5 year run in Raptorea history and there is very little discussion about basketball. The morning show even has a bit with how little they like basketball. So if they are getting rid of Rome I hope the local show that takes over spends some time talking hoops.

For me ultimately they can never talk too much Flames so if they want to fill that spot with a Flames hour I would be all for it
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #153
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I hadn't seen this through the break, sorry guys.

Think it's just a jab, certainly nothing I'm involved in in any way.

For me ... I'm just not on to rail against guys doing their job. Boomer has been great in any contact I've had with him. The rest of the guys are great. Kerr didn't like my web site for some reason, but other than that I've never had a problem with any of them.

Heck I don't even mind Francis for the most part.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #154
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would like more Francis, would definitely listen.

Looking forward to the changes, enough of Rome.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #155
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know he probably has no incentive to do it but I really like when krahn is on and wouldn't mind a more regular slot for him. Takes a lot of crap but takes it in good humour and I think he's a funny guy.

Could be an afternoon warrener.

I could be completely wrong though.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #156
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
When talking about hockey in Edmonton they are mandated to talk about one player.
It is not so much a mandate as it is literally the only thing worth talking about in Edmonton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #157
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Francis is a fantastic guy if you talk to him personally. He just spews a lot of crap on TV and print to get the views and start controversy.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #158
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
I know he probably has no incentive to do it but I really like when krahn is on and wouldn't mind a more regular slot for him. Takes a lot of crap but takes it in good humour and I think he's a funny guy.
I love the fact that he sounds like John Candy talking about hockey.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #159
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
The more I think about it, this station is actually likely to get worse with more locally produced shows. Would make more sense if they teamed up with Vancouver and Edmonton to produce a 'Hockey Central West' show from 9-12 and carry it live across three markets, then maybe Rogers would give an actual budget to hire guys with.
I think this is actually a great idea...a Flames/Canucks/Oilers (and maybe Jets) focused regional show, with representatives from each city, that allows for some outside perspective and helps fans get much better insight/context into their rivals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I listen to the morning show (which ultimately I enjoy) but the arrogance when they are talking about food for 20 minutes straight and dare listeners to change the station when they text in to complain.
Its funny how this has seemingly been the top complaint about the morning show for years, yet nobody at the Fan seems to care. When these guys talk sports, they can be fantastic. But too many times they ramble on about food and random weekend activities that just kill any momentum. Boomer is the absolutely worst for this.

Stick to sports. Its not a morning zoo, it's not a recounting about how much you ate or how wasted you got. Sports please.

Pinder and Steinberg is a much tighter ship. They can go off the rails too, but it doesn't drag on for half an hour. I find them much more entertaining.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #160
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I think this is actually a great idea...a Flames/Canucks/Oilers (and maybe Jets) focused regional show, with representatives from each city, that allows for some outside perspective and helps fans get much better insight/context into their rivals.

Its funny how this has seemingly been the top complaint about the morning show for years, yet nobody at the Fan seems to care. When these guys talk sports, they can be fantastic. But too many times they ramble on about food and random weekend activities that just kill any momentum. Boomer is the absolutely worst for this.

Stick to sports. Its not a morning zoo, it's not a recounting about how much you ate or how wasted you got. Sports please.

Pinder and Steinberg is a much tighter ship. They can go off the rails too, but it doesn't drag on for half an hour. I find them much more entertaining.
Right I think you nailed it. It’s not so much that they talk about these other things and joke and such. It’s that they drag it out for like 30 mins and then go to commercial. Well, my commute is only 30 minutes. So that’s all I hear, pretty much ever. So I just stopped listening.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post: