Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ear Infection

Hey - so I’ve had a bad cold and went to the doctor last week who said I had an ear infection. Got antibiotics and ear drops, the whole shebang. It’s been almost a week in ear drops and it still feels really plugged up and ringing, still quite a bit of mucus production. I’ve been on antibiotics almost a week and tomorrow is supposed to be the last day of ear drops. It doesn’t seem like I’ve made huge progress in getting better.

Anyone else have experience with this? Should I be concerned and heading back to the doctor or give it a few more days?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd make sure you don't have an alien worm in your ear, first.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Hey - so I’ve had a bad cold and went to the doctor last week who said I had an ear infection. Got antibiotics and ear drops, the whole shebang. It’s been almost a week in ear drops and it still feels really plugged up and ringing, still quite a bit of mucus production. I’ve been on antibiotics almost a week and tomorrow is supposed to be the last day of ear drops. It doesn’t seem like I’ve made huge progress in getting better.

Anyone else have experience with this? Should I be concerned and heading back to the doctor or give it a few more days?
You likely have a wax build up issue. This is something can happen/be a contributor to the infection.

Been through it a ton of times. Go to the walk in and have them check it out. I wouldn’t risk syringing your ear your self this close to an infection without someone looking at it first.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Probably dead soon. RIP.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd make sure you don't have an alien worm in your ear, first.

nm
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You likely have a wax build up issue. This is something can happen/be a contributor to the infection.

Been through it a ton of times. Go to the walk in and have them check it out. I wouldn’t risk syringing your ear your self this close to an infection without someone looking at it first.
What about one of those ear candle things? We’ve got one in the house still. Or is there risk there?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What about one of those ear candle things? We’ve got one in the house still. Or is there risk there?
Well I’m not a doc so don’t reallt quote me on anything but I have really ####ty ears so have been in your situation. I’d finish off the prescription and evaluate. If no improvement go back to the doc.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #8
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the antibiotic didn't start helping after the first dose, then it's 99% a viral infection.

Get a sinus rinse kit.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #9
Sled
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I'm having the same issues it's been going on nearly 3 weeks flu followed by nasty sinus infection. Finished the antibiotics on Monday but was told they will last up to 7 days fighting.

The plugged ears are the worst part. I have done the sinus rinses as well even though it does say to avoid if you have plugged ears.

I've been considering the ear candling option as well.

Good luck!

Sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:40 AM   #10
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd have it checked out for sure. Those things can turn into a chronic problem, and trust me, you don't want that. It sucks.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:27 AM   #11
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Disclaimer: I'm soooo not a doctor. Like wow, not a doctor.

That said, it's possible to have an ear infection and a cold.

It would be the awful situation of both a viral and bacterial infection.

Based solely on what was posted and my incredible lack of medical knowledge it sounds to me that you likely have/had both infections simultaneously.

That said, I would continue to take the prescription and going to see your doctor or walk-in clinic would be a good idea where your ear is still bothering you.

Are the symptoms the same or is it sore in a similar but different way?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #12
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I have a perforated ear drum and am very prone to infections. My experience is that antibiotic drops work almost immediately, even on the worst infections. The drops also act to break up wax buildup.

I'd try unplugging your eustachian tubes via advil (not Tylenol) and jaw exercises. If that doesn't work go to the doctor asap.

A major source of infection with colds is swelling and buildup in the eustachian tube which prevents the ear from draining. Once again the drops should deal with this, but it may be necessary to knock whatever is in there loose. Like I said before try that the exercises for an hour, then go to the doctor immediately. You come be at risk of permanent hearing loss.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #13
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ear candling will pull lots ‘o wax out. If you’ve never had it done it’s actually kinda pleasant. Cut the candle open when it get shortish. You’ll probably be surprised how much material comes out.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #14
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
Ear candling will pull lots ‘o wax out. If you’ve never had it done it’s actually kinda pleasant. Cut the candle open when it get shortish. You’ll probably be surprised how much material comes out.
Apparently ear candling is a scam, and the wax in the candle is just part of the candle. The wax will show up even when you burn the candle outside of your ear.

Candling can also cause candle wax to build up in the ear:

http://www.cfp.ca/content/53/12/2121
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #15
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Blankall has it right.

Ear Candling is on par with Vancouver hot dog water, and can be dangerous. Talk to any ENT and they'll tell you that.

Your middle ear effusions are probably from an occluded Eustachian tube orifice, which is most likely adenoid hypertrophy of viral URTI cause. It should clear in 1-2 weeks.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #16
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I had that happen last weekend, I thought maybe my ears were plugged and hauled out the old ear cleaner kit and used it. It got a bit better but it was annoying. I went to bed that night determined to go see a doctor the next day, but it was better in the morning.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #17
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Earache My eye!
Get your butt to school mister!
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #18
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Both I and my wife have had this. It's viral. I was on antibiotics and they didn't work.

PM me if you want the gory details.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #19
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

I'd try unplugging your eustachian tubes via advil (not Tylenol) and jaw exercises. If that doesn't work go to the doctor asap.

A major source of infection with colds is swelling and buildup in the eustachian tube which prevents the ear from draining. Once again the drops should deal with this, but it may be necessary to knock whatever is in there loose. Like I said before try that the exercises for an hour, then go to the doctor immediately. You come be at risk of permanent hearing loss.
This is good advice and worked for us.

I should add my wife ended up with vertigo, which makes it that much more fun.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #20
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Echoing others when I say that it's 100% viral at this point. Viral infections can still produce quite a bit of swelling and mucus production. If you're doing both systemic and external antibiotics, it's soooo not bacterial. This cold and flu season has led to some very persistent infections, sometimes taking up to a month to fully recover. Don't be alarmed if it takes a while to get back to normal. As long as it isn't affecting your hearing or equilibrium, you're ok.

If you are concerned about wax build up, get some drops at any local pharmacy and rinse it out with a bulb syringe. It's usually resolved after one treatment with drops, but you might have to do it a couple times before everything gets flushed out. Candling is a stupid old wives tale/home remedy that really does nothing. Debrox works just fine and it's 100% safe to use.

I also recommend over the counter ani-inflammatories like ibuprofen to reduce the swelling. That should allow the eustachian tube to open up and drain whatever fluid/crud is still causing the ear discomfort/ringing.

That being said, I am saying all this without directly examining your ear, so that would probably give me more information as to what is really going on. In short, listen to your doctor. Go back and get re-checked. If it isn't resolving very much don't let it linger.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: