Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #521
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by serratedmuffin View Post
Two goalies I would try and target, with one more of a reach than the other. Washington prospect Ilya Samsonov. Holtby may be starting slow again but he’s won a Vezina and they just won the cup. He may be available if it helps them push for a cup again this year. This is maybe a long shot but I’m hoping Washington is thinking short term goals while Ovechkin and Backstrom are still elite and riding the high from last year. Samsonov is only 21 and was rated one of, if not the top rated goalie prospects last year.

The second and more realistic option is Cayden Primeau from the Canadiens playing for Northwestern in the NCAA. He’s younger (20 this year) and put up great stats last year and off to a solid start this year. With Carey Price in an contract for life, Montreal is a team to target for goalie prospects.

Stats:
Primeau ( 2.60, 0.911 this year, 1.92 0.931 last year)
Samsonov (3.47, 0.881 this year AHL 2.31 0.926 last year KHL)

I’ll welcome any thoughts, comments or discussions on either choice.
I think the Flames need a guy who is already developed because if he needs any developing from this organization, he's just not going to pan out.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #522
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

goaltending coach is a pretty intense job, and always under heavy scrutiny. as much as i would love to see it, i doubt kipper would want to come here and be in the spotlight again. he's not even goalie coaching the finnish u20 team anymore as far as i can tell.

i agree with many other people that we should let rittich run with the ball for a while. he couldn't handle the weight of the season on him as a rookie while the whole team imploded last year, and still put up a .900+ save percentage. he still put up 60%+ quality starts last year, much higher than smith's career average for quality starts, and has given us 80% quality starts this year

give him 5 starts and see what happens. there's actually no way he could be worse than smith, the current worst goalie in the league. at worst, we wind up back here, and then we can explore trades. we might even see some teams decide that they would be willing to trade their goalies (chicago and detroit plz)
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #523
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
I agree with many posters on here that Rittich is probably going to get a look at being the #1 for now, before we go out and make a trade. Unfortunately, it'll probably take us 10-15 games to figure out whether he can handle taking over the net. I obviously don't expect us to win every one of those games, so I think our next few losses with Rittich in net will cause some serious CP meltdowns.

I don't want to sound doom and gloom, but Rittich is most likely not going to go on a 10 game win streak. He's going to have bad games. I just hope it all works out in the end. We have all the other pieces in place to be a really good team.
I have worries over Rittich getting the majority of the starts and maintaining those numbers as well (TBQH, it'd be great if he improved) - but I hope that it doesn't get to 10GP at a sub .900 for them to realize that it's time for option 3.

I would guess that Rittich gets a legitimate 3-5 game look as the starter, when you consider what happened last year. If we start to see a regression to Smith stats, I hope that a trade (or an undeserved dice-roll call-up) option is well in motion at that point...

If Rittich falters, I'd expect that Smith gets another crack at it to see if the pause helped him settle. I'd hate to be the Flames right now looking at what's available for trade and what you have to call up. Maybe it's as if Rittich is the only pair of clean sneakers they have right now they're terrified to wear them.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #524
serratedmuffin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think the Flames need a guy who is already developed because if he needs any developing from this organization, he's just not going to pan out.
Nobody knows for sure how well Sigalet does his job, I still think we need to find more rolls of the dice until we have ourselves the next Kipper (Id settle for another Vernon). Maybe we toss Sigalet and maybe we don’t, but giving ourselves as many prospects to pan out gives us the best chance. I especially like Samsonov and the Washington situation. Maybe that’s the Matt Murray we manage to snag.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #525
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ramo would actually be pretty interesting if he was interested in coming back. I also like the mrazek idea. Rotting is good but we’ll need someone almost equal to platoon with him
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #526
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In the short term it makes sense to give Rittich more starts. He's been good.

Another issue in all this is we expected Gillies and Parsons to really take big steps forward, and were hopeful one of those 2 would be the goalie of the future for the Flames.

The fact those two haven't played great so far makes this much more complicated. As neither deserves a call up right now, based solely on their numbers and I haven't actually seen either of them in action yet this year.

What do we have in McDonald and Schneider I wonder?

Heres our 6 pro goalies so far this year:

8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #527
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
goaltending coach is a pretty intense job, and always under heavy scrutiny. as much as i would love to see it, i doubt kipper would want to come here and be in the spotlight again. he's not even goalie coaching the finnish u20 team anymore as far as i can tell.

i agree with many other people that we should let rittich run with the ball for a while. he couldn't handle the weight of the season on him as a rookie while the whole team imploded last year, and still put up a .900+ save percentage. he still put up 60%+ quality starts last year, much higher than smith's career average for quality starts, and has given us 80% quality starts this year

give him 5 starts and see what happens. there's actually no way he could be worse than smith, the current worst goalie in the league. at worst, we wind up back here, and then we can explore trades. we might even see some teams decide that they would be willing to trade their goalies (chicago and detroit plz)
I get the feeling that Kippers teachings on goaltending is "When the puck comes towards the net, you save it"
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #528
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly I don't see Samsonov being available. Holtby is their goalie now but he's been wildly inconsistent over the past season, and he's only under contract for another two seasons after this one.

I suspect the Caps are really hoping Samsonov can develop into a number one by then and they can let Holtby go or trade him (he has a limited NTC). Certainly they don't have anyone to stand in Samsonov's way if he's good enough - their backup right now is Copley iirc.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #529
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post

Another issue in all this is we expected Gillies and Parsons to really take big steps forward, and were hopeful one of those 2 would be the goalie of the future for the Flames.

The fact those two haven't played great so far makes this much more complicated. As neither deserves a call up right now, based solely on their numbers and I haven't actually seen either of them in action yet this year.

Ugghh...that is so awful. It seemed like the Flames were flush with goalie prospects a couple of years ago. Our last hope is a 26 year old Rittich?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #530
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

It would be crazy if Mason McDonald all of a sudden found his game. Fortunate, but crazy.

If he keeps it up do they swap him and Parsons?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #531
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I get the feeling that Kippers teachings on goaltending is "When the puck comes towards the net, you save it"

Sounds perfect. Don’t give your teammates the gears for losing a guy in coverage or deflecting the shot. Don’t try to make breakout passes or think you can rim the puck around the boards so good that it will get out. And don’t get down on yourself or panic every a puck gets behind you... simply put: “when the puck comes toward the net, you save it. That’s all we want you to do.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #532
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

What’s frustrating is that this team for the last few years has been good enough to make the playoffs with just NHL average goaltending. The flames don’t even need a guy that steals them most games. Just a guy that doesn’t lose them most games. That’s it.

Now the team is good enough that they could be a top team in the league with average goaltending. So it’s so frustrating that the flames can’t get that with smith. I really believe Rittich can do it though and should be given the chance to run with it.

stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #533
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Ramo would actually be pretty interesting if he was interested in coming back. I also like the mrazek idea. Rotting is good but we’ll need someone almost equal to platoon with him
Hahaha!

This is my favourite autocorrect error in a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #534
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think you've gotta give Rittich a shot at this point. Thing is, you don't have to commit the whole season right away. Last year we had no backup plan after Rittich/Gillies so even if they struggled, they were it. It's a much different situation knowing that we can always go back to "hope Smith figures it out" if Rittich really doesn't have it.

But I think at some point we have to commit to one side or the other. If we think Rittich can be a starter, at some point we have to take the leap and give him a bunch of games. If not now, when? If we don't think Rittich can be a starter, why are we wasting our time with him? We should be aggressively pursuing a trade for a guy who can be.

I look at the way we've handled Valimaki and Andersson this year as an example to follow. They've had bad games, bad giveaways, bad defensive reads. And yet we keep coming back to them because we believe they have what it takes. At some point, a prospect needs to make the leap to being a player. I think it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy if you're not willing to give them a legitimate opportunity. If you only give them the tiniest sliver of a chance, and then immediately yank it away at the first sign of trouble, you're gonna have a lot of disappointing prospects. It's why it's so common to see a team run into injury trouble and suddenly find that some 6th round pick from a year ago is actually a legit player.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #535
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carey Price
Cory Crawford
Talbot in the offseason
Old 11-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #536
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post

I have posted this like six times in the past week, but Parson’s numbers require the benefit of added context. He has played three starts, and in each one has been demonstrably better. He won his last game, allowing 2 goals on 28 shots for a tidy 0.929 SP.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #537
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
It would be crazy if Mason McDonald all of a sudden found his game. Fortunate, but crazy.

If he keeps it up do they swap him and Parsons?

No! God, no. Parsons is fine.

Quote:
Old 11-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #538
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### it. Lets see what we've got with Rittich. Maybe he can do better in the starting role than last year, with Smith as a safety net.

I don't like the idea of spending more assets on goaltending. Although, Treliving might feel the need, since he's the one with his job in the balance

Last edited by Geeoff; 11-09-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #539
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bobrovsky, Varlamov (although he is injury prone), Talbot, or Pickard.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #540
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57 Devils Trade Proposal:

I waived Mike Smith and sent him down to the Stockton Heat playing around on capfriendly.com...

With the emergence of Keith Kinkaid in New Jersey, does Cory Schneider become expendable, what would the price be... Dillon Dubé + 2019 1st?

Gaudreau (6,75) Monahan (6,375) Lindholm (4,85)
Tkachuk (,925) Backlund (5,35) Neal (5,75)
Bennett (1,95) Ryan (3,125) Frolik (4,3)
Peluso (,650) Jankowski (1,675) Czarnik (1,25)
Hathaway (,850)

Giordano (6,75) Brodie (4,65)
Hanifin (4,95) Hamonic (3,857)
Valimaki (,894) Andersson (,755)
Prout (,800)

Schneider (6,0)
Rittich (,800)

(Jettison Michael Stone)

Salary Cap $79,500,000
Buyouts $2,404,167
Bonuses $1,357,500
Cap Hit $78,886,709
Cap Space $613,291

Last edited by David Struch; 11-09-2018 at 11:09 AM.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote