Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #181
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
A bit of a red herring. Most .45s have a capacity of 7-8 rounds, depending on manufacturer. The extended mags that are concealable offer a capacity of 9-10 rounds. So the extended magazine in this situation is adding two extra rounds. Should also note, that by California law the magazine in this instance, while being considered large capacity, is legal as it does not exceed 10 rounds to make it a prohibited magazine.
Interesting.

My recollection is that one of the analysts suggested the extended magazine would have offered 30 or so bullets. Made me think that it would have looked funny in a handgun because of the length.

I may have misheard the statement
Old 11-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #182
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Yes what New Era said, and California has some of the strictest laws in the entire country with regards to firearms.

Does that really help when it's bordered by two of the most lax states for gun control? Vegas is a day trip for anyone in LA with a car
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #183
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

No, but further to your point anyone who is planning to do an illegal act has plenty of choices for procurement down there. There's so much availability down there it's nuts...

You need hardly any ID or background check to buy parts for a Glock pistol, and you can put it together yourself by ordering everything online, just as an example.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #184
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Does that really help when it's bordered by two of the most lax states for gun control? Vegas is a day trip for anyone in LA with a car
shhh

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #185
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

The only way the US ever would have effective gun control laws that work is to make them federal. Which will never happen, so this thread will be regularly updated for decades to come.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #186
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Interesting.

My recollection is that one of the analysts suggested the extended magazine would have offered 30 or so bullets. Made me think that it would have looked funny in a handgun because of the length.

I may have misheard the statement

I think that is a perception thing. People hear extended magazine and they automatically think of the 30-40 round magazine on ARs or the goofy long magazines that stick a good foot out of the weapon. Those long magazines for a .45 usually hold 15-20 rounds, depending on manufacturer, but they are impossible to conceal.

"Extended" also veries for the weapon. As another example, I have an extended magazine for my Sig .380 and it holds seven rounds. I carry an extended magazine on my Sig 9MM, and it holds 15 rounds. I have a Beretta 9mm as well, and it will take an aftermarket extended magazine that holds 30 rounds, but that actually purchased for a carbine that accepts Beretta mags. A magazine that long would make the pistol unwieldy and difficult to use. Extended magazine can mean a lot of different things, especially on the weapon platform.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #187
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's an idea - no firearms means no gun violence. Who'da thought.

The 2nd Amendment in the US is a Civil War relic and needs to be abolished, immediately. This is 2018, not 1791.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #188
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Here's an idea - no firearms means no gun violence. Who'da thought.

The 2nd Amendment in the US is a Civil War relic and needs to be abolished, immediately. This is 2018, not 1791.
bringing logic to a discussion about gun laws in the US is like bringing a knife to, well, a gunfight.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #189
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why would people assume he was carrying the weapon with the magazine loaded in place? Gun concealed in one pocket, extended magazine in another. It takes how long to slide the mag in place and be ready to shoot? Mere seconds.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #190
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

a 30 round magazine adds like 7 inches to the bottom of the gun, it's not some unconcealable 48 inch pipe.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #191
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ugh, living in this kind of environment has to wreak havoc on your mental state. It’s far beyond a gun control issue, it’s a societal issue. Graphic violence isn’t restricted to 18A movies and gang wars; it’s everywhere, all the time. America is becoming cannibalistic.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #192
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
bringing logic to a discussion about gun laws in the US is like bringing a knife to, well, a gunfight.
I have to respectfully disagree, there is some logic to bringing a knife to a gun fight, this is more akin to bringing a dead mackeral to a gun fight
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #193
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think that is a perception thing. People hear extended magazine and they automatically think of the 30-40 round magazine on ARs or the goofy long magazines that stick a good foot out of the weapon. Those long magazines for a .45 usually hold 15-20 rounds, depending on manufacturer, but they are impossible to conceal.

"Extended" also veries for the weapon. As another example, I have an extended magazine for my Sig .380 and it holds seven rounds. I carry an extended magazine on my Sig 9MM, and it holds 15 rounds. I have a Beretta 9mm as well, and it will take an aftermarket extended magazine that holds 30 rounds, but that actually purchased for a carbine that accepts Beretta mags. A magazine that long would make the pistol unwieldy and difficult to use. Extended magazine can mean a lot of different things, especially on the weapon platform.
I don't recall any mention that the weapons were concealed. The reports say this nutjob walked in and started shooting. There was no mention that he pulled a concealed weapon.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #194
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Ugh, living in this kind of environment has to wreak havoc on your mental state. It’s far beyond a gun control issue, it’s a societal issue. Graphic violence isn’t restricted to 18A movies and gang wars; it’s everywhere, all the time. America is becoming cannibalistic.
Just think about what you can squeeze into an R-rated movie in America in terms of violence. The sky is basically the limit. Now consider that according to the MPAA, showing 5 seconds of "rear-entry sex" (I'm taking the term from the documentary lol) gets an automatic NC-17 rating.

Killing and dismembering hundreds on film? R rating
A little doggy on film? NC-17

God Bless America...
Old 11-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #195
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

sadly, 60min ran a story just this weekend on how mass shootings are changing the way that emergency responders are being outfitted... mainly that they now are trained and carry battlefield first aid, called 'bleeding kits', with them to treat some of these catastrophic wounds.

while the latest shooting was not an AR-15, its a sad day to see elementary kids being taught how to use a battlefield tourniquet...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ar-15-u...ce-60-minutes/

but after Sandy Hook, i pretty much gave up on any notion that the US would be able to push forward any gun control legislation, even ones that seem pretty obvious to most people.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #196
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not that Canada is perfect, but man am I glad I'm not living in the States, especially with a young kid. Its staggering how common place this is now. Columbine was a shock. Now its just the norm. Crazy.
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #197
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazing there were people in this bar that survived the Vegas shootings last year.

After Vegas they probably told themselves never to go to out door concerts, now possibly not to go out for a good time at all, well done America
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #198
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I don't recall any mention that the weapons were concealed. The reports say this nutjob walked in and started shooting. There was no mention that he pulled a concealed weapon.

No, this is the trope that if only AR 15's or bump stocks or extended mags were banned these things wouldn't happen, truth is you could ban all of those and this would still happen, they should be banned mind you, along with hand guns in general and any semi auto long gun, but even then you will still get the odd massacre
Old 11-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #199
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guns don't kill people. Idiots with guns kill people. So if you can't take the guns away from the idiots, take the guns away from everyone. As a gun owner, I'd be fine with that, so long as everyone had their guns taken away too.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #200
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Guns don't kill people. Idiots with guns kill people. So if you can't take the guns away from the idiots, take the guns away from everyone. As a gun owner, I'd be fine with that, so long as everyone had their guns taken away too.
My experience has been all people are, at times, idiots, for some those 'at times' times are only a few in a lifetime, getting canned unfairly, finding your wife shtuping your buddy etc.

Then there are some who's 'at times' number several a week, getting cut off in the car, missing a bus, having your mum disconnect the wifi.

Bottom line there isnt a person on earth, including myself, I would trust with a gun.