Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #141
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
"Digital World" = secretly recording peoples private conversations and posting it to the internet.

Ok, pal!

Like I said, anyone that pulls that #### is scummy.
Everyone knows someone who doubles as a paparazzi. Nobody likes Mr candid video, even if you are out with friends. I don't care if some people think its normal, I still think those people suck, and I do my best to avoid them.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #142
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Has the Uber driver been fired yet? How many of us have never spoken bad about an employer?
In my house - maybe. In front of strangers? Nope. In a stranger's car? Definitely nope.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #143
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
Get over yourself Princess.

This has been a digital world for a long time.
Nothing wins an argument quite like misogyny.

Also, this being a digital world doesn't make the Uber driver any less scummy.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #144
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"Digital World" = secretly recording peoples private conversations and posting it to the internet.
"Secretly" "private conversations" quite the distortion of facts. First off, the camera would very likely be visible. It's an Uber Driver, not the CIA here. And private conversations should occur in private...not in front of people that you don't want to be privy to the information. Or a video camera...

Regardless of whether the driver is scummy or not, let's not go overboard here ha. The Senators didn't have their hotel rooms bugged by Russia.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #145
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Nothing wins an argument quite like misogyny.
Unless it's a totally phony accusation of misogyny.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #146
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
"Secretly" "private conversations" quite the distortion of facts. First off, the camera would very likely be visible. It's an Uber Driver, not the CIA here. And private conversations should occur in private...not in front of people that you don't want to be privy to the information. Or a video camera...

Regardless of whether the driver is scummy or not, let's not go overboard here ha. The Senators didn't have their hotel rooms bugged by Russia.
Wideman was even sitting in the front passenger seat, and he was one of the talkers. He was closer to the driver than his teammates.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #147
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

One star
Old 11-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #148
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, Ryan Reaves:
Quote:
“I would never expect a cab ride conversation to be made public, but it’s the world we live in right now. Everybody is a snitch.”
https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...ors-uber-video
Old 11-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #149
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

awkward

jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #150
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, the empty seats, right?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #151
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

That camera is in the Uber to protect the driver. It is not meant for him to leak after he's pissed they only tipped him $20 for a 5 minute ride. (Or whatever it was)

Like obviously don't confess to any felonies in front of a stranger, but taxicab conversations cannot be published online without recourse.

You wouldn't be allowed to video someone in a massage parlor and upload that afterward, even in a one party consent state. That guy is a business providing a service, and if I were those players I'd be suing Uber and the driver.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #152
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
That camera is in the Uber to protect the driver. It is not meant for him to leak after he's pissed they only tipped him $20 for a 5 minute ride. (Or whatever it was)

Like obviously don't confess to any felonies in front of a stranger, but taxicab conversations cannot be published online without recourse.

You wouldn't be allowed to video someone in a massage parlor and upload that afterward, even in a one party consent state. That guy is a business providing a service, and if I were those players I'd be suing Uber and the driver.
Whether you can sue based on some sort of tort and whether it's illegal as in a crime or some other statutory offence is different. So a creative lawyer could probably sue.

However, what would you sue for? What are your damages? Harm to your reputation by showing something you said in front of a stranger?
Old 11-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #153
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Whether you can sue based on some sort of tort and whether it's illegal as in a crime or some other statutory offence is different. So a creative lawyer could probably sue.

However, what would you sue for? What are your damages? Harm to your reputation by showing something you said in front of a stranger?
If you're Matt Duchene and you're about to hit July 1 and now a bunch of people are calling you a cancer because you roasted your incompetent assistant coach in an Uber, aren't you damaged by that?

Say it's the difference between $6.75M and 6.15 a year. Or even less, say it's 250k or less. That's an expensive Uber.

Again, the camera is there for security. It's not there for the driver to go viral. I'm sure that's not in the Uber terms of service.

Bearing in mind that one should dig two graves before embarking upon a mission of vengeance, they could sue him just to make him bleed financially. Which would be a bit evil.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 11-07-2018 at 02:25 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #154
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
If you're Matt Duchene and you're about to hit July 1 and now a bunch of people are calling you a cancer because you roasted your incompetent assistant coach in an Uber, aren't you damaged by that?

Say it's the difference between $6.75M and 6.15 a year. Or even less, say it's 250k or less. That's an expensive Uber.

Again, the camera is there for security. It's not there for the driver to go viral. I'm sure that's not in the Uber terms of service.

Bearing in mind that one should dig two graves before embarking upon a mission of vengeance, they could sue him just to make him bleed financially. Which would be a bit evil.
You have to prove (a) your reputation was damaged by that incident alone; (b) that's why you made less; and (c) that there's a wrongful act under the common law in Canada. And I would bet a court would find that your own actions were a major contributing cause to your damages. So whatever the award was would be reduced by the amount for which your own actions were responsible.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #155
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are people defending the Uber driver and his actions because they believe what he did was OK or because there's nothing else to argue about these days?
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #156
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are people defending the Uber driver and his actions because they believe what he did was OK or because there's nothing else to argue about these days?
I don't see anyone defending the Uber driver. I see people saying that the driver was bad/unprofessional/not a good person, but also

a. The players were dumb for not fathoming the situation or ignoring it;
b. There's no lawbreaking, so he can't be charged (though if he breached company policy he probably lost his job); and
c. Most recently, a lawsuit probably won't work.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #157
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
awkward

That's not Arizona.. That's Canada...
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #158
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
That's not Arizona.. That's Canada...
Correct. Ottawa, specifically.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #159
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

- Pretty much everybody has badmouthed their supervisor/boss at some point with some coworkers over a beer/dinner/after work etc. Gerard Gallant (then player, now coach) said both players and coaches talk like this about each other.
- But these guys are public figures (as much as a hockey player from Ottawa is a public figure in Arizona) and professionals, so they should be smarter than that. Do you think Crosby would be caught saying this in an Uber? Have that chat back at the pub or hotel when nobody you don't trust is around.
- Uber driver is still a huge loser for posting this, but that is the world we live in now. Have you seen the garbage on youtube? People post the stupidest things hoping to get noticed (or make a buck).
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rd liner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #160
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd liner View Post
- Pretty much everybody has badmouthed their supervisor/boss at some point with some coworkers over a beer/dinner/after work etc. Gerard Gallant (then player, now coach) said both players and coaches talk like this about each other.
- But these guys are public figures (as much as a hockey player from Ottawa is a public figure in Arizona) and professionals, so they should be smarter than that. Do you think Crosby would be caught saying this in an Uber? Have that chat back at the pub or hotel when nobody you don't trust is around.
- Uber driver is still a huge loser for posting this, but that is the world we live in now. Have you seen the garbage on youtube? People post the stupidest things hoping to get noticed (or make a buck).
Nenshi got caught, and his comments has political and economical repercussions.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-ceo-as-a-dick

If politicians get caught all the time, a few young guys coming back from a game and likely a few beers with no major responsibilities can get caught, not expecting that their Uber driver would send their normal peer conversation to the media.

And don't even get me started on the president of the United States...
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote