Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-30-2018, 09:48 PM   #101
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
Hey guys,

I am moving back to Calgary next month from Priddis, and will be getting high speed internet for the first time in 6 years (yay)

The area I am in can get Telus 50 and shaw 50, but who is better to go with? or is there really no difference.

I prefer Telus. I also think over the years they've always had better and more consistently customer-friendly policies regarding things like throttling and privacy. Their tech guys have always been solid when they need to drop in and do something, too.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:47 AM   #102
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll be shopping around in July when my Shaw 150 comes up for renewal- As to the door to door salesmen for Telus, Marketplace did a show about them recently about Bell in Ontario-

aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:57 PM   #103
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just looked yesterday at my usage, and noticed that Shaw now states unlimited for the 150 plan. I know it was always kind of unofficial, but apparently its advertised as unlimited data now. Keeping all of us cord cutters happy I guess
Old 06-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #104
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

My new house has fibre running to it, but stupid Telus hasn't bothered to hook up the fibre to the box for the community. So the fastest we can get with them is 50 Mbps, BUT the Ms. likes their Optik TV, so we have to keep that.

Still sticking with Shaw for my interwebs, since I use their unlimited 150 Mbps (which typically bursts to 170 Mbps anyway).

Maybe I'll connect the Telus AND Shaw to the router and run a dual-WAN setup.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #105
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Marketplace did a show about them recently about Bell in Ontario
Bell is the Devil. None of them are perfect but Bell is, by far, the worst. I've seen more negative stories of them in the news than any of the others by quite a margin.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #106
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
FYI for anyone that signed up for the Shaw 150 2 year promotion, you may be getting a call from their inside sales team asking to renew that deal for another 2 years, and it's worth haggling with them. When they called me I said I was thinking of switching to TekSavvy because they offer the same speed for $70/mo instead of $80, and Shaw ended up giving me another 2 year promotion at $68/mo. Easy win for me as now I don't have to go through the hassle of switching providers
I tried this just now and they refused to match or beat Teksavvy. Best I could do was 2 years / $75 on a two year contract or 1 yr no contract for $80.

Told them to go ahead and schedule a disconnect in 30 days so we're playing a little game of chicken here. Some internet people say that Shaw will call back next day with a great deal. If they don't call in a day or two I'll just move to Teksavvy for $70 / month.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:48 PM   #107
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone comment on resellers such as CanCom, Lightspeed, TekSavvy, or maybe Getus? I am seriously contemplating to switch to one of them when I move to a new place at the end of August.

They all seem to resell both Shaw (Cable) and Telus (DSL), which one should I go for?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #108
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've been with Shaw for over 12 years but I just finally got tired of the increasing prices all the time. I just finished my Shaw 150 contract and signed up for Can-Com internet. $70 for the 150 and I'm actually getting over 170 consistently. With Shaw I was usually in the 50-60s. Also, Can-Com provides the modem for free and I got the Asus RT-AC68U router for my wireless on sale. Now I've got great coverage throughout my house and backyard, especially compared to the crappy Shaw wireless modem. It's only been about 2 weeks but I would recommend Can-Com.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeep991 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #109
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just ditched Shaw after 14 years. I was loyal as they always were fair. However, this time I just could not get through to anyone to talk about my rate. They had me paying $211/mo. for all three services and I only got some TSN and some SportsNet channels!

I tried 4 times on chat and even calling in. Just sat on hold. So I said forget it. Telus was offering $750 in sign up perks. Plus my bill is $50 less a month.

My guess is Shaw would never match that, citing new customers only. So I guess that is the behavior they want. They want people to flip back and forth every 2 years. After seeing the news and how they talk up new subscriber numbers, it must be stock price driven. They lose a long term customer but gain another new one and it is a wash overall. The street loves it.

Anyways I think this is good as I was a bit hesitant to try Telus but this is a no brainer.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #110
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep991 View Post
I've been with Shaw for over 12 years but I just finally got tired of the increasing prices all the time. I just finished my Shaw 150 contract and signed up for Can-Com internet. $70 for the 150 and I'm actually getting over 170 consistently. With Shaw I was usually in the 50-60s. Also, Can-Com provides the modem for free and I got the Asus RT-AC68U router for my wireless on sale. Now I've got great coverage throughout my house and backyard, especially compared to the crappy Shaw wireless modem. It's only been about 2 weeks but I would recommend Can-Com.
Really odd that Can-Com (which uses Shaw’s backbone) would be providing faster service. I imagine something else was in play there. The Shaw router is a big piece of junk so it’s not surprising your much happier with the 68U (which is a great router!)

I think all these companies are interchangeable now so who ever gives you the best price and service is the one to go to. Loyalty doesn’t seem to be rewarded much anymore.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #111
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
So I guess that is the behavior they want. They want people to flip back and forth every 2 years. After seeing the news and how they talk up new subscriber numbers, it must be stock price driven. They lose a long term customer but gain another new one and it is a wash overall. The street loves it.
It seems like every mobile provider / ISP is set up this way in Canada. Great incentives to sign up new customers, as those numbers of new signups seem to be what are focused on in addition to the bottom line when quarterlies come out.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #112
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

We use these guys for the office. 2 thumbs up. Best service provider we have had at the office for the last 5 years imo

https://www.incentre.net/
Old 08-05-2018, 11:16 PM   #113
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
It seems like every mobile provider / ISP is set up this way in Canada. Great incentives to sign up new customers, as those numbers of new signups seem to be what are focused on in addition to the bottom line when quarterlies come out.
I was thinking that myself. Loyalty is a trap. Just means you get to avoid the hastle of a free install every 2 years and pay for it.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:25 PM   #114
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone use Primus? They apparently have a deal through Costco; we are in the process of switching from Shaw to Telus but would consider other options if the service is comparable...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #115
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How does Telus 50 work with Netflix and movies rented from itunes and such? I currently have Shaw 150 but am tired of the shotty internet. I can barely get a signal in some parts of my house, and half the time I'm only getting about 25Mbs download. At first Shaw blamed my Apple Timecapsule, so I removed that from the equation, and now the connection seems to have gotten worse. It's pretty frustrating. So, I'm looking at moving to Telus and give them a try.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #116
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
How does Telus 50 work with Netflix and movies rented from itunes and such? I currently have Shaw 150 but am tired of the shotty internet. I can barely get a signal in some parts of my house, and half the time I'm only getting about 25Mbs download. At first Shaw blamed my Apple Timecapsule, so I removed that from the equation, and now the connection seems to have gotten worse. It's pretty frustrating. So, I'm looking at moving to Telus and give them a try.
Is the wired/primary poor also?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #117
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Is the wired/primary poor also?

No idea. Modem is on the mainfloor in the office. I have a macbook without an ethernet port. My wife's work laptop is a macbook pro as well. TV's are upstairs and downstairs. It's all wifi. The only place that gets a good signal is in the office, or the living room, which is beside the office.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #118
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Moving to Telus won’t fix having a poor router.

You need a new router not a new provider. Since it sounds like you have a signal issues you should probably go with a multi unit mesh system (unless your in a small house or condo). There is a few that are on for really great deals right now.

Last edited by Diemenz; 10-20-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #119
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Moving to Telus won’t fix having a poor router.

You need a new router not a new provider. Since it sounds like you have a signal issues you should probably go with a multi unit mesh system (unless your in a small house or condo). There is a few that are on for really great deals right now.
Yes I would agree. Bossy Start by hard wiring your laptop to the router and going to fast.com

If you get good speed there than it will point to a bad router.

Let is know if that is the case and we can give you suggestions on good routers out there. I have an Orbi for over a year and like it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #120
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote